New 2017 Big Country 4010RD. Happy with the RV

Divotf15

Forums are mostly filled with problems. Thought I would talk about no Problems. Had this thing for about two months and 3 outings. Fixing to hit the road for a month... At any rate, bought at explore USA in Fort Worth. PDI seemed good. Spent 3 hours with rep going over trailer. Only thing I found was scratches on the solid surface. They polished them out while we finished PDI. Got home to find one of two small problems we have had. Bedroom door would not latch. My bad as well as dealer for not catching it. There was at least 1/2 inch mismatch between striker plate and latch. Moved striker plate and drilled wood. Problem fixed in about 5 min. Not worth taking in for repair. Second problem occurred in second outing. Lower plastic latch on washing machine closet broke. Might have been operator error, who knows. Will call heartland and ask for new one. Other than that, everything else appears to be working flawless. Still have to give A/C a workout. I think 87 was the highest temp so far we have been in. Compressors were off more than they were on. So we will see when it is 100 plus next year. The heater has gotten a workout. Got down to 32 a couple of nights. Fireplace keeps the den warm enough to enjoy watching tv. Impressed with the central heat. It will roast you. Came in one night after being gone and it was about 40 in the coach. Turned on heater, and I would have to guess that it might have taken 10 min to heat to 68 degrees. Will make a few adjustments to valance heat distribution in future. Currently about 50 percent in kitchen and 25 in bedroom and den. I use A/C fan to level it all out. Probably losing some heat that way, but heater is not struggling. May get an electric heater for bedroom for the mild nights. So, we are currently very happy with our purchase. Hope we continue with the good luck and hope everyone else has the same experience.

jimtoo

HI Divotf15,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Congrats on the 4010! We have a 2016 and love it. Coming up on 1 year of full timing. We have some minor things that need attention, but overall a very livable floor plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdamude

Congratulations on your new 4010RD. We too have a 2016 4010RD and besides our personal modifications, we have only had a couple of minor problems to deal with. The door striker on the bedroom door was also mis aligned and the one lower drawer in the kitchen island was hard to open. Both issues we repaired ourselves.

As for modifications , we installed an Onan 5500 watt propane generator, duel Trojan batteries on a Mor-Ryde slide out tray, Mor-Ryde slide out tray in basement, Custom made hitch on rear for bicycles and future Idaho Tote, KVH satellite system, Slide toppers, Lippert aluminum entry step, Lippert Flex-Air pin box.

We towed the trailer this fall to Florida for the winter from Canada. This is the first time we towed it any distance other than bringing it home from the dealer, we loved how it towed and handled in the wind.

rnewk52

Greetings to all 4010 owners,
We took delivery of our 2017 4010 on Nov 7 and are on the beginning of a 6k mile trip. We left Wichita Falls TX on Friday and are now in Wichita KS. When we arrived here our fireplace was laying on the floor. I can put it back on the wall mount bracket, but I don't see any way to tighten the connection. The fireplace is not tight to the bracket. The manal for the fireplace is no help. Any suggestions short of removing cabinet parts to access the back of the fireplace?
Other than this problem and the junk matress we love the trailer.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

TravelTiger

Greetings to all 4010 owners,
We took delivery of our 2017 4010 on Nov 7 and are on the beginning of a 6k mile trip. We left Wichita Falls TX on Friday and are now in Wichita KS. When we arrived here our fireplace was laying on the floor. I can put it back on the wall mount bracket, but I don't see any way to tighten the connection. The fireplace is not tight to the bracket. The manal for the fireplace is no help. Any suggestions short of removing cabinet parts to access the back of the fireplace?
Other than this problem and the junk matress we love the trailer.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

You might try calling Heartland warranty service, have your VIN handy. They may be able to offer some help or find out how they are installed and guide you to a solution. Maybe a part broke off somewhere?

Divotf15

Sorry to hear about the fireplace. I could not tell you how to mount it. Ok, I forgot one thing, when I drove it home from the lot, the kitchen table window shade had come out of the ceiling. 4 screws, a stud finder, and a drill driver fixed it for good.

Will be taking it on a 1400 mile trip shortly. Will report any problems. I hope to report another flawless trip.

TravelTiger

BTW, we had w/d closet door clasp break also. I bought a heavier duty version, and mounted one only in the middle, rather than two at top and bottom. Has not come open, and doesn't cause stress on the door when opening/closing.

rnewk52

Here is a follow up to our fireplace mishap.
First I have to give a huge double thumbs up and thank you to Heartand and Ron Scarberry for exceptional customer service resolving our defective fireplace issue.
Two days after our fireplace fell off the mount bracket we turned it on and it immediately filled the trailer with smoke. After un plugging the electric cord and making sure everything was cooled off I contacted Heartland. I was connected to Ron Scarberry, and after explaining what had happened, he had a new fireplace shipped to our next destination in North Carolina.The new fireplace is in and working properly.
Thanks again Hearland!! Customer Service like this is one of the many reasons we are in our 4th Heartland product.
We are curious if anyone else has had trouble with their fireplaces, or if ours is an isolated event?

TravelTiger

Here is a follow up to our fireplace mishap.
First I have to give a huge double thumbs up and thank you to Heartand and Ron Scarberry for exceptional customer service resolving our defective fireplace issue.
Two days after our fireplace fell off the mount bracket we turned it on and it immediately filled the trailer with smoke. After un plugging the electric cord and making sure everything was cooled off I contacted Heartland. I was connected to Ron Scarberry, and after explaining what had happened, he had a new fireplace shipped to our next destination in North Carolina.The new fireplace is in and working properly.
Thanks again Hearland!! Customer Service like this is one of the many reasons we are in our 4th Heartland product.
We are curious if anyone else has had trouble with their fireplaces, or if ours is an isolated event?

Our 2016 4010RD was built in Oct 2015. We have not have any issues with our fireplace, so far.

Divotf15

Had our first problem requiring assistance. The actual FIRST problem was after a hard rain and the front a/c quit working. The thermostat was giving an indoor temp of 32 degrees....it was like 80 in there. Researched and then opened it up on top of rv. Sure enough, water was in there and a bunch of cables etc were just lying in the plenum. Opened the cat5 looking connector and dried it out and the system was working again. Heartland should really put an emphasis on inreasing the quality of the havoc install. Ducting not sealed, wiring all junked up into the ducts, ends of ducts blowing into front cap and rar cap of rv. As I understand it, most every one is like that.

The problem requiring assistance was that the 4 way valve for the water input went bad. Water was filling fresh water tank in every position, and suckin air from water input connection when using water pump. Dealer was useless. Explore USA in Fort Worth was our selling dealership. Common problem and they did not have one in stock. They also said it would be 2-3 weeks before they could get to it even though we were leaving on a trip in 3 days. It is a 10 minute job if you have the parts, but they did not offer to do it while I waited once they got the part. So, I called Heartland and told them of my analysis of the problem. They agreed. Told them I was leaving in 3 days. The said they would expedite the part to me at no charge for part or expedited delivery. Got here in two days and I took 10 minutes to change it out. Two seals were damaged on the original one. New one works perfect. Thanks Heartland!!! Your end of the customer service was outstanding.

FYI. I had heard that damage to the valve could occur from switching positions under pressure. I called Anderson, maker of the valve. The said that is not true. They test the valves at like 200 psi and they are designed to be moved with city water hooked to the rv under pressure. I am ordering one of these replacement cartridges just to have a spare for me or anyone I'm camping with that might have a problem. I found them at a dealer in Texas near DFW that sells them for 21.99. Cheap enough for a spare part that can leave you without any running water.

Still enjoying the RV and am very happy that I have had virtually no problem. Looking forward to several more trips this summer and planning fall and winter trips while we are on the road.

TravelTiger

Had our first problem requiring assistance. The actual FIRST problem was after a hard rain and the front a/c quit working. The thermostat was giving an indoor temp of 32 degrees....it was like 80 in there. Researched and then opened it up on top of rv. Sure enough, water was in there and a bunch of cables etc were just lying in the plenum. Opened the cat5 looking connector and dried it out and the system was working again. Heartland should really put an emphasis on inreasing the quality of the havoc install. Ducting not sealed, wiring all junked up into the ducts, ends of ducts blowing into front cap and rar cap of rv. As I understand it, most every one is like that.

The problem requiring assistance was that the 4 way valve for the water input went bad. Water was filling fresh water tank in every position, and suckin air from water input connection when using water pump. Dealer was useless. Explore USA in Fort Worth was our selling dealership. Common problem and they did not have one in stock. They also said it would be 2-3 weeks before they could get to it even though we were leaving on a trip in 3 days. It is a 10 minute job if you have the parts, but they did not offer to do it while I waited once they got the part. So, I called Heartland and told them of my analysis of the problem. They agreed. Told them I was leaving in 3 days. The said they would expedite the part to me at no charge for part or expedited delivery. Got here in two days and I took 10 minutes to change it out. Two seals were damaged on the original one. New one works perfect. Thanks Heartland!!! Your end of the customer service was outstanding.

FYI. I had heard that damage to the valve could occur from switching positions under pressure. I called Anderson, maker of the valve. The said that is not true. They test the valves at like 200 psi and they are designed to be moved with city water hooked to the rv under pressure. I am ordering one of these replacement cartridges just to have a spare for me or anyone I'm camping with that might have a problem. I found them at a dealer in Texas near DFW that sells them for 21.99. Cheap enough for a spare part that can leave you without any running water.

Still enjoying the RV and am very happy that I have had virtually no problem. Looking forward to several more trips this summer and planning fall and winter trips while we are on the road.

Good to hear Heartland took care of you! What dealer did you find the part at? I bought an extra online (Just in case.)