Wheel Lug Nuts tourque questions. 2013 Big Country

bfs

How often should I check lug nuts torque and what should the torque be? I have dual 6000 lb dexter axels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim.Allison

How often should I check lug nuts torque and what should the torque be? I have dual 6000 lb dexter axels.

[FONT=&quot]That really depends on the material of your rim and the diameter of your wheel studs.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you have a steel wheel with a 1/2 inch stud you would use 90-120 ft/lbs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Steel with 9/16 inch stud 120-140 ft/lbs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Aluminum with 1/2 inch stud 90-100 ft/lbs.[/FONT]
[FONT=open sans, arial, sans-serif]Aluminum with 9/16 inch stud 120-140 ft/lbs.[/FONT]

[FONT=open sans, arial, sans-serif]Retorquing depends on the type of rim you have. I have aluminum with a steel insert. Torque once, trailer a little and recheck. [/FONT]

[FONT=open sans, arial, sans-serif]Aluminum wheels should be torqued upon installation, then 50 miles later, then periodically after that, perhaps before each trip.

While it is true that you want to torque your wheels to keep them from coming off, but another reason is to get the correct clamping force which will help prevent cracking of the wheel hub.
[/FONT]

mlpeloquin

If you are unsure about the stud size, take one off. It is stamped in the lug. Should be 9/16". When I had to replace mine do to what my dealer did, I found it stamped on the lug nut. I have not used a dealer for service since. Should check torque after loosening lugs after 200 miles. Then at the end of the day of driving. I check the torque before I take the next trip after that. I never have had them loosen, but I have read on the form that other owners have. My dealer over torqued and ruined the lugs and lug nuts. I had to replace all.

Have a Big Horn with 6K axles. The Landmark, Big Horn, and Big Country are build on the same line.