Condensation on windows - single pane windows

8amps

Hi all,
I've read a lot of threads one dual pane windows. We have single pane windows and we use the silver bubbly reflector stuff we got in a roll at Home Depot. This has worked great for keeping us cool in Houston in the summer with only one air conditioner and has helped a lot in coldish weather right now in the Bay area of California - lows in the high 30s and low 40s. (Not freezing temps but pretty chilly!!!) My question is many times, we leave these bubble things up and some condensation forms behind it. But no dripping water on the walls. And when I've taken it off, no standing water in the tracks of the windows. We are mostly in dry climates and I don't notice condensation elsewhere. I always wipe out all the water on fiberglass after taking a shower. What don't I know about condensation and why is this a bad thing?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you are getting condensation, you may need to vent the living quarters somehow.

jbeletti

Mary - as John alluded to, warmer and possibly moist air in the RV seems to be condensing on the windows. If you are not running your ceiling vent fan while showering and for several minutes afterwards, you may wish to try that. It's what we've always done to keep moisture down in the coach. Also, when boiling water, run the vent fan on the microwave.

8amps

Mary - as John alluded to, warmer and possibly moist air in the RV seems to be condensing on the windows. If you are not running your ceiling vent fan while showering and for several minutes afterwards, you may wish to try that. It's what we've always done to keep moisture down in the coach. Also, when boiling water, run the vent fan on the microwave.
Hi Colorado! I guess I shouldn't be whining about cold! Heard it's getting cold there! Anyway, I do use vent when showering and keep a moisture absorber in the shower (when not in use). Sorry to say we don't cook nearly enough to cause a lot of condensation in that respect, though that is a new years resolution . We have a weather station in here, don't know how accurate. Just a $30 gizmo from Costco. Says 45% humidity inside. Too high? Again, I don't notice anything anywhere as a problem, just don't want to mess something up without knowing.

ab70cdfecbb92c88519bb2283be53c2c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Hi - I'm guessing this is Mary?? Yes - cold and snowy here today. Looking for some sun over the next couple of days to warm it up and melt the snow/ice :)

Wondering if warmer air is just getting between the bubble foil and the window from a loose installation. So long as it's not dripping, perhaps nothing to be too concerned about.

I don't know what an ideal humidity level inside a full-time use RV in-the-winter should be but I'd guess sub-50% is better than >50%.

Sharing with you cause I'm sure you miss it :)
Google ChromeScreenSnapz215.jpg

8amps

Hi - I'm guessing this is Mary?? Yes - cold and snowy here today. Looking for some sun over the next couple of days to warm it up and melt the snow/ice :)

Wondering if warmer air is just getting between the bubble foil and the window from a loose installation. So long as it's not dripping, perhaps nothing to be too concerned about.

I don't know what an ideal humidity level inside a full-time use RV in-the-winter should be but I'd guess sub-50% is better than >50%.

Sharing with you cause I'm sure you miss it :)
View attachment 48790
Yes, it's me Mary. Phil never posts on here so 8AMPS is always moi. :) Funny, miss Colorado till it gets cold and then I refigure. No actually, we loved living in Colorado. And if not for our full time RV adventure, we'd still be there. After nearly 15 years, I still looked forward to the snow. Now, in an RV, not so much!

I'm going to pay attention to the humidity level in here and will try the vent to see if it lowers the humidity level on the monitor.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

8amps

I'm going to ask a probably stupid question (why stop now????). According to our weather station, the humidity inside is 48% and the humidity outside last night was 78%. So how is venting outside air that is more humid going to make it lower humidity in here? Just airflow?

sengli

We have single pains on our coach too. If you look closely there are little vents at the bottom of the window tracks. These allow cold outside air in and causes the windows to be cooled. The condensation collects on cool surfaces. Its the air temp difference of the glass that getting you. Again people put off like quarts of water a day just breathing. Your most likely going to need a dehumidifier.

Dean-Pam

When we started being "Any Timers", I was concerned about condensation in our unit. Got some great advise from the more experienced folks on the forum. I always vent during and after showers, when DW cooks (was informed propane puts off a lot of moisture) she uses the exhaust vent and for times that wasn't enough, bought a small dehumidifier.

Can't say enough about how helpful most folks are!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I've found "cracking" a window improves the efficiency of the BR fan and stove vent fans to exhaust moisture from the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm going to ask a probably stupid question (why stop now????). According to our weather station, the humidity inside is 48% and the humidity outside last night was 78%. So how is venting outside air that is more humid going to make it lower humidity in here? Just airflow?

The idea is to pull/push the moist inside air to the outside.