26rlss

Hello everyone thinking about purchasing a new 2017 North Trail 26RLSS, have a few questions, can anyone tell me if the upgraded mattress is longer then the basic one? The dealer told us the one in Stock has the short basic version, it is caliber edition if that makes any difference, also said that we cold purchase a longer mattress if we decided not to order a different trailer. 2nd question is has anyone had any problems with the fold down rear bumper carrier? Final question is we've got a F150crew about shortbox ecoboost with the 9600 trailer capacity and the HD suspension, would the straightline hitch work well with this combination?
Thank you in advance
Shawn and Chris

jimtoo

Hi toolinarnd,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

F_Goose

Hello everyone thinking about purchasing a new 2017 North Trail 26RLSS, have a few questions, can anyone tell me if the upgraded mattress is longer then the basic one? The dealer told us the one in Stock has the short basic version, it is caliber edition if that makes any difference, also said that we cold purchase a longer mattress if we decided not to order a different trailer. 2nd question is has anyone had any problems with the fold down rear bumper carrier? Final question is we've got a F150crew about shortbox ecoboost with the 9600 trailer capacity and the HD suspension, would the straightline hitch work well with this combination?
Thank you in advance
Shawn and Chris

Hi Shawn/Chris,
Yes the upgraded mattress is full length size. A RV mattress is 6" shorter. It will overhang the base plywood by that amount. We have a 2015 NT26LRSS and the Caliber Edition does not upgrade the bed but does include the rear bumper carrier. Although our rear bumper is the pull-out type not the fold-down. We modified it to hold our mountain bikes which works fine. They state that there is a weight limit on it, don't exceed it.

I also have the F150 Supercrew EcoBoost, 9600# capacity. I use the Reese WD hitch and were told we did not need the sway control since the F150 has it factory built in. I installed an Air Lift re air bags, which helped stabilize the ride considerably. I'm quite pleased with this combo and how it tows.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your decision!
Fred

Hi Shawn/Chris,
Yes the upgraded mattress is full length size. A RV mattress is 6" shorter. It will overhang the base plywood by that amount. We have a 2015 NT26LRSS and the Caliber Edition does not upgrade the bed but does include the rear bumper carrier. Although our rear bumper is the pull-out type not the fold-down. We modified it to hold our mountain bikes which works fine. They state that there is a weight limit on it, don't exceed it.

I also have the F150 Supercrew EcoBoost, 9600# capacity. I use the Reese WD hitch and were told we did not need the sway control since the F150 has it factory built in. I installed an Air Lift re air bags, which helped stabilize the ride considerably. I'm quite pleased with this combo and how it tows.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your decision!
Fred

Thank you for the info, I've been towing our older 25ft coachmen and boat which are around 7k so i knew that power wasn't going to be a problem but the length had me a little nervous about,if it started to sway. So I'm assuming that the 6in longer mattress shouldn't affect the Walkway from The front door,it seemed plenty wide enough to give up a few inches. I mean she's only 5.2 so I still can"t for the life of me figure out why she says the bed is to short. Agian thank you for the help.

Shawn & Chris

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I also have the F150 Supercrew EcoBoost, 9600# capacity. I use the Reese WD hitch and were told we did not need the sway control since the F150 has it factory built in.

Our dealership tried to tell us that about our 2500HD, too.

The built-in-the-truck sway control just applies the brakes to help stop the sway . . .

But you really do still need the real deal (sway bar).

We have a 5th-wheel now, but when we still had our Heartland Trail Runner TT the truck's sway control just didn't do what a real sway bar will.

pegmikef

Thank you in advance
Shawn and Chris

I towed my old 26LRSS with an F150 for a while and used the EZ Lift WD Hitch and no sway control and it worked just fine. The torsion bars do provide a certain amount of sway control. It was never a problem. I eventually moved up to an F250 because I wanted the diesel, but used the same hitch set up. Both trucks were short bed crew cabs. I never had to use the trucks' sway control function.

I towed my old 26LRSS with an F150 for a while and used the EZ Lift WD Hitch and no sway control and it worked just fine. The torsion bars do provide a certain amount of sway control. It was never a problem. I eventually moved up to an F250 because I wanted the diesel, but used the same hitch set up. Both trucks were short bed crew cabs. I never had to use the trucks' sway control function.

Thank you for the reply. I'm going to pull the trigger either at the camping show or shortly after.

Well if all goes right, we will be taking possession of our 2017 26rlss on Saturday 4-1. We are very excited and hoping that the weather will cooperate an issue really don't want to be towing her for the first time in the snow.