Bighorn Traveler

terribruce

retired Oregon Chapter Leaders
Re: Big Horn Traveler

Well congratulations to all these Bighorn Travelers!! Being new to the line of Bighorns, and not being able to see one yet,
makes it more desirable to go check it out. :) Safe travels to you all.

Terri

rmn72

If everything goes as planned, we are trading our SOB(some other brand!) in on a 37ss in about 3 weeks.

SNOKING

Welcome to the forum/site:

Looks like according to Heartlands web site that the 37SS comes with E rated ST tires. If they are Tow Max I would think about replacing them ASP. Goodyear has a new ST named the Endurance which might be a good choice or better yet put Sailun S367 all steel ply tires on them.

Larry_7

Hello everyone, we are also considering the 37SS. Any new opinions? Would probably prefer a Bighorn but not sure thats in our budget. I know some of the differences. I know you lose the g rated tires, power cord reel, interior ceiling woodwork, rear cap, anything else you can think of? One concern is the AC system. Is it the same "whisper quiet" AC as the Bighorn? Our SOB air conditioner is obnoxiously loud.

rmn72

Just changed our load range E tires out to load range G last month. We feel a lot more secure. Got a great deal from Discount Tire

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Hello everyone, we are also considering the 37SS. Any new opinions? Would probably prefer a Bighorn but not sure thats in our budget. I know some of the differences. I know you lose the g rated tires, power cord reel, interior ceiling woodwork, rear cap, anything else you can think of? One concern is the AC system. Is it the same "whisper quiet" AC as the Bighorn? Our SOB air conditioner is obnoxiously loud.

If you look at the difference in price between a Bighorn and a Traveler, that's the "amenities" they cut out. The Traveler is below the Gateway line.

You have to look carefully at the specs -- For example, it lists a 35K BTU furnace for Traveler, vs 42 BTU for Bighorn. The Traveler has standard RV windows, the BigHorn has frameless windows. The Traveler has MCD Night roller shades, BighHorn has MCD Day/Night roller shades, just to name a few not so noticeable differences.

Not to say it is a bad choice! Just know that the Traveler Line has the LOOK of a Bighorn, but not all the bells and whistles.

Larry_7

If you look at the difference in price between a Bighorn and a Traveler, that's the "amenities" they cut out. The Traveler is below the Gateway line.

You have to look carefully at the specs -- For example, it lists a 35K BTU furnace for Traveler, vs 42 BTU for Bighorn. The Traveler has standard RV windows, the BigHorn has frameless windows. The Traveler has MCD Night roller shades, BighHorn has MCD Day/Night roller shades, just to name a few not so noticeable differences.

Not to say it is a bad choice! Just know that the Traveler Line has the LOOK of a Bighorn, but not all the bells and whistles.

Thank you. That's the kind of stuff I'm trying to put together. Might as well throw Big Country in the mix as well. I think we're looking at all 3. I believe we like the BH 3575EL, the BHTR 37SS, the BC 3650RL, and the BC 3560SS.

Razorbackfan

USN Chief

Thank you. That's the kind of stuff I'm trying to put together. Might as well throw Big Country in the mix as well. I think we're looking at all 3. I believe we like the BH 3575EL, the BHTR 37SS, the BC 3650RL, and the BC 3560SS.

Dont forget to take a look at year or two old ones as well. RVs depreciate super fast so the higher trim in a ‘14 or ‘15 might be budget friendly and someone else has worked the bugs out. Just have it inspected first.

Larry_7

Dont forget to take a look at year or two old ones as well. RVs depreciate super fast so the higher trim in a ‘14 or ‘15 might be budget friendly and someone else has worked the bugs out. Just have it inspected first.
Yes I'd be open to that. So far I haven't seen one close enough to me to investigate. This new one will be our 4th so trust me I understand the depreciation factor. We have a 15 SOB fiver. We tried to save a buck when we bought it and it's not living up to expectations. For that reason I think I'm leary of the traveler. I know I want a BH or BC. I believe when the time is right I'll spend the money to get what I want. For now I'm going to read and learn all I can.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Yes I'd be open to that. So far I haven't seen one close enough to me to investigate. This new one will be our 4th so trust me I understand the depreciation factor. We have a 15 SOB fiver. We tried to save a buck when we bought it and it's not living up to expectations. For that reason I think I'm leary of the traveler. I know I want a BH or BC. I believe when the time is right I'll spend the money to get what I want. For now I'm going to read and learn all I can.

For the money, the Big Country is a great coach with lots of amenities over the Traveler. Right now they have the same cabinetry as a Landmark. The differences between Big Country and BigHorn are not quite as noticeable (in talking differences besides decor), but are there with careful study. We compared our plan with similar in BigHorn and found we could live with the differences. We preferred the BC decor over BH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry_7

For the money, the Big Country is a great coach with lots of amenities over the Traveler. Right now they have the same cabinetry as a Landmark. The differences between Big Country and BigHorn are not quite as noticeable (in talking differences besides decor), but are there with careful study. We compared our plan with similar in BigHorn and found we could live with the differences. We preferred the BC decor over BH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thinking we like the BH 3575EL and the BC 3650RL. Have not seen them in person. From what I can tell it seems the BH EL has 7' high slides compared to 6'4" in BC. Not a deal breaker, correct me if I'm wrong. Also it appears BH offers a dinette slide awning as an option. That is intriguing. BH also lists 4 shocks, wondering if they really work to smooth out the ride. And there is an extra closet in the master of the BH. Seems to be about $4000 difference at MSRP including the second awning. Both seem to offer a heat pump option which we have now and would want again. Thank you for all your replies. I feel like I'm hijacking this thread as I seem to be moving away from the Traveler so I will eventually start a new thread with my BH and BC questions.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

Thinking we like the BH 3575EL and the BC 3650RL. Have not seen them in person. From what I can tell it seems the BH EL has 7' high slides compared to 6'4" in BC. Not a deal breaker, correct me if I'm wrong. Also it appears BH offers a dinette slide awning as an option. That is intriguing. BH also lists 4 shocks, wondering if they really work to smooth out the ride. And there is an extra closet in the master of the BH. Seems to be about $4000 difference at MSRP including the second awning. Both seem to offer a heat pump option which we have now and would want again. Thank you for all your replies. I feel like I'm hijacking this thread as I seem to be moving away from the Traveler so I will eventually start a new thread with my BH and BC questions.

We looked at quite a few models of the BH traveler. They do seem to be a pretty nice rig but just not for us. We also looked at the Bighorns and didn't walk through a model that felt like home. We found a BC we just had to have and it is working out for us very nicely. This rig is the first we have had with shocks on it and we feel it smooths out the ride a bunch. We did not notice much of a difference between the BH and the BC.

SNOKING

We really like our BH3575el. The high ceiling and large window are great. We love the butlers pantry area and the fact that 3 or the 4 refer doors can be opened with the slides in. We have more or less lived in it for the last year and find that it works well for that. We have two awnings and use both. The coffered ceiling is nice also.

Chris

We have a 2017 Bighorn Traveler 37SS and love it. We are fulltimers and it met all our needs. The slide in a slide in the bedroom makes for a great bedroom.We have plenty of room for the two of us to move around together.

rmn72

We have been in our 37SS for about a year and we love it. We did not find another rig anywhere with the huge bedroom and we love it. Of course, we have made a few mods like adding shelves in the pantry to make it our own.