Cold weather

Cold weather is coming, we don't get as cold like the other end of the state, but still down in the 30s at night....I have three walls to keep the wind from hitting the camper head on, anything I need to do to put her to bed for the winter, I've open all the drains under the unit, but still feel I've miss something ???? This is my first big camper... any help would do....

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you feel uncomfortable with those temps then I would suggest that you either blow the system out with compressed air or get a couple gallons of RV antifreeze and run it through all faucets and toilet.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Opening the low point and fresh tank drains may not drain the toilet or water heater tank, and almost certainly won't drain the water pump and it's strainer bowl, or any of the p-traps in the drains.

While it's 75 (F) this afternoon where you live, the lows next Friday are forecast to be 27 (F). And of course that could go up or down. If you get a hard freeze, you could have damage.

Take a look at our Winterization Guide in this folder.

Gaffer

If you only get sub 30 temps occasionally just set the furnace for 50 overnight when it gets into the 20's. No worries.

It was 1 degree here this morning and a water bottle in my truck was only partially frozen. It takes even more time to cool the coach down. One night in freezing temps won't likely hurt anything when the daytime temps are above freezing. The most vulnerable item is likely the ice maker water supply line.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
- 4 degrees right now in the northern suburbs of Denver, Colorado!

Also, don't forget about the outside shower faucet.

I also pour some antifreeze into the toilet bowl to keep the seal from drying out.

8amps

- 4 degrees right now in the northern suburbs of Denver, Colorado!
John! 4! I saw it was going to be -2 in Lakewood so double checked all was OK with our tenants there. We are just south of the Bay area (California), it started raining now, but 49. High of 60 today. We're heading south on Saturday, but it's been cold (relatively) in Vegas too.

JohnD

John! 4! I saw it was going to be -2 in Lakewood so double checked all was OK with our tenants there. We are just south of the Bay area (California), it started raining now, but 49. High of 60 today. We're heading south on Saturday, but it's been cold (relatively) in Vegas too.

That was a minus 4 degrees . . . right now at 9 a.m. it is still minus 1 degrees . . .

The sun is out, so I'm gonna go outside in a minute and shovel off the rest of the driveway and let the sun do it's thing!

We only got about an inch and a half of the white stuff yesterday . . .

JohnD

Yup . . . it is +7 degrees right now . . . supposed to warm up to the mid-40's tomorrow!

Here are a couple shots I took this morning to make you guyz jealous: :rolleyes:

ProwlerSnow-PC080529.jpg

HitchSnow-PC080532.jpg

8amps

Yup . . . it is +7 degrees right now . . . supposed to warm up to the mid-40's tomorrow!

Love the blue sky. Something I always loved about Colorado. Could snow, but blue skies were always coming out.

It's been raining lightly but steadily for a couple hours. But it's still 55 degrees at 83 0 p.m. so I can't complain

I have a question about your picture though. your hitch is tilted slightly to one side - ours does that too. Is it supposed to be that way? I ask because you mention that your trailer was nose high and caused problems so I'm not taking for granted this I know it's right.

PS. Nice Heartland sticker on the truck!

JohnD

The hitch tilts side to side and forwards and backwards to allow the trailer to tilt on uneven ground when towing.

My hitch always tilts to the drivers side when the trailer isn't attached, and I keep that cable lock on it for theft prevention, and to keep it from bouncing around.

As for the trailer riding high in the front, I'm going to lower the hitch one bolt hole (see photo below) to see if it levels out.

ReeseHitchAdjHoles-P1020521.jpg

It's riding 4 1/2 inches high in the front and that bolt hole is about a 2-inch drop.

I've got one of those Heartland stickers on the back window of the Prowler as well:

ProwlerHOCsticker-P1010984.jpg

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Hey John, have you had any problem with snow sliding off your trailer and damaging things?

JohnD

Hey John, have you had any problem with snow sliding off your trailer and damaging things?

Not while it has been parked:

ProwlerSnow-IMAG0235.jpg

I've only pulled it in the snow a couple of times, so don't know if I got anybody behind me. :rolleyes: