Generator and battery question

schew

Hello all,
For some reason I'm having difficulty wrapping this around my head.
I may have read the answer to my questions in my owners manual but simply cannot remember.
First, am I correct in saying that when my genset is running, it is automatically charging my battery?
Secondly, if it is charging the battery, does it stop charging if I hit the battery disconnect switch??
Think I'm having a senior moment at the ripe age of 47...

danemayer

Hi schew,

If you have an on-board Onan generator, it powers everything just like being on shore power. So yes, the battery does get charged by way of the Power Converter, whether on generator or shore power. However, if you switch the battery cutoff to OFF, no, the battery will not get charged.

schew

Thanks for the clarification.
Also, regardless of whether the battery is charged from shore lower or the genset, will the power convertor protect the battery from overcharging?

danemayer

Thanks for the clarification.
Also, regardless of whether the battery is charged from shore lower or the genset, will the power convertor protect the battery from overcharging?
Modern converters are smart and have multiple modes. When the battery is fully charged, the converter output is in maintenance mode.

It's a good idea to check water level in the battery monthly.

Bohemian

Don't count on that power converter. Look up the specs. The basic power converter will boil your batteries dry. A three stage "smart" converter should do the right job.

Last edited:

danemayer

Bohemian,

So far as I know, Heartland uses multi-stage smart converters in the entire product line. Are you speaking about your Winnebago?

Bohemian

Bohemian,

So far as I know, Heartland uses multi-stage smart converters in the entire product line. Are you speaking about your Winnebago?

No, I am talking about an individual owner knowing what is in their individual rv. Not depending on "as far as I know". That's all.