Winter Travel ???

"Hi-Viz" Bill

Hello All !! Well, after 40-1/2 yrs. working at the gas company here in Michigan, I will retire on Jan 5th, 2017. Within the last 6 mos., we have purchased a new 2016 Landmark 365 & a 2016 GMC 3500 DRW to pull it with. On Jan 6th, we leave to winter in Mesa, AZ. and being NEW to this lifestyle have a few questions about winter travel on the road. Its cold & snowy here in Michigan, I have winterized the RV, but kept a little heat on to prepare and load up for our trip. We plan to head south thru Nashville, on to Memphis, then turn west on I-40. Because of the MAJOR unknown, i.e., the weather in 4 weeks, we're not sure how to plan our trip. Assuming non-snow/icy weather we'd like to average 400-450 miles/day ... Q1; Are campgrounds, with pull-throughs, available along the I-40 corridor in the winter?? ... Q2: IF we have to use truck stops and/or Wal-Mart for an overnight stay, will my batteries get us thru a night, or do I need to idle the truck all night ?? ( I've been told that when towing the RV, that the truck keeps the batteries charged!! True ?? ) ... Q3: Can/should the furnace operate while going down the road ??

Sorry for being so long winded, thought proper to give a little background. ANY helpful advice/knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all !!

alwaysbusy

Mr Bill,
First, congrats on your retirement. Your batteries should easily get you through an evening of stopping over night on the road. When in tow, your truck will charge your batteries via the 7-way. I'm not sure of your battery setup; however, it's clear your going to be full time. I would encourage you to utilize two gel 6v batteries wired in a series if you don't have already. Happy trails and congrats again.

OEFVET

I would also recommend a small inverter type generator. Honda, Yamaha, Generac are all good. Recommend 3000w minimum.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Congratulations! As far as trip planning goes there are many clubs and sites online that you can use to plan your trips, find camp grounds on your route, and get other info like if they are open all year round. There are also phone apps that will help you with this, and even more that will tell you which truck stop has rv parking and which Wally world will allow over nights. I like the Good Sam travel planner for trips. It is easy to use but I believe a membership is required. I have heard of people running their heater while moving. We do not and have not tried. I have read many complaints that batteries will not last the night if you have a residential fridge but someone who owns one will be better able to advise you on that.

I would recommend that you drop down to I 20 that time of year.

danemayer

You probably don't need to run the furnace while towing.

400-450 miles per day is moderately aggressive.

You can plot your projected stops on Google Maps and then search for campgrounds on Woodalls.com, filtering for Big Rig and Year Round.

If the weather and road conditions get bad, wait it out, which is a good reason to stay at an RV Park.

Lynn1130

Keep a very close eye on the weather from OKC west to Flagstaff and parts south. Storms can close I-40 and I-17 especially at Tucumcari/Santa Rosa on west and even if it is not closed it can be dangerous with winds and snow. Flagstaff south is not any better if you make it that far and can close it if the weather gets bad.

A single 12 volt battery will not make it through the night if it is cold and the heater is running all night while parked in a Walmart parking lot even if fully charged when you stop for the night. Idling all night probably will not keep up with the battery drain and might take the truck battery charge with it. I would try for RV camps during that time so that you have 120V for the furnace. Heat strips for the water line is almost a must when in the parks.

The good news it was 72 here at the house today. I am looking at the weather up north and wishing those folks well.

Oh, and as an afterthought you do not want to try Tijeras Canyon into Albuquerque in a storm.

HOOKERUP

Hello All !! Well, after 40-1/2 yrs. working at the gas company here in Michigan, I will retire on Jan 5th, 2017. Within the last 6 mos., we have purchased a new 2016 Landmark 365 & a 2016 GMC 3500 DRW to pull it with. On Jan 6th, we leave to winter in Mesa, AZ. and being NEW to this lifestyle have a few questions about winter travel on the road. Its cold & snowy here in Michigan, I have winterized the RV, but kept a little heat on to prepare and load up for our trip. We plan to head south thru Nashville, on to Memphis, then turn west on I-40. Because of the MAJOR unknown, i.e., the weather in 4 weeks, we're not sure how to plan our trip. Assuming non-snow/icy weather we'd like to average 400-450 miles/day ... Q1; Are campgrounds, with pull-throughs, available along the I-40 corridor in the winter?? ... Q2: IF we have to use truck stops and/or Wal-Mart for an overnight stay, will my batteries get us thru a night, or do I need to idle the truck all night ?? ( I've been told that when towing the RV, that the truck keeps the batteries charged!! True ?? ) ... Q3: Can/should the furnace operate while going down the road ??

Sorry for being so long winded, thought proper to give a little background. ANY helpful advice/knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all !!
I retired 7 years ago after doing 41 years with NJNG in NJ. Left at 62 and not looking back. Good luck on your'e retirement.

Kbvols

Congrats on your retirement! Heading south for the winter smart move. I was in South Bend today cold, snow and wind yuk! I like app RV Parks to locate campgrounds it works great. KOA's almost always have pull thrus. I spent 1 night in a Walmart parking lot years ago too much action didn't sleep well just wasn't for me. Enjoy your trip and your retirement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

If you have a Landmark 365 you have the residential fridge and a 1000 watt inverter. Hopefully you have at least two batteries.
If you find yourselves having to dry camp your fridge will drain most of your batteries and if you need the heater that will be a bit much for your system to handle.
Of course RV parks are going to be your best be but if you have to you can just turn off the fridge late at night and don't open the door until you turn it back on and it cool back down again. If it's like ours we have the temp reading on the door. I think no more then 5 or 6 hours to hold the temp at safe levels.
With the 12V batteries you don't want to pull them down to nothing and charge them back up day after day they won't last long.
Congratulations and safe travels

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk