Interested in ordering a 2017/2018 Cyclone 4113, but can I get a 7kW RV Generator?

ballgyer

I really don't understand why you offer (3) 15K AC units but only 2 can run at one time... Can i order with a 7kW RV Generator and/or 2nd power inlet option for those who want more AC's during the Hot Summers months here in Texas?

Thanks,
Brian

danemayer

Hi ballgyer,

New Cyclones have a Power Control System that manages electrical loads so that all three A/C units can be used at the same time when on a 50 amp shore power circuit. If you turn on too many other 120V AC devices, like electric water heater, dryer, etc., the Control System will shed loads to keep you from tripping a breaker.

Older units that didn't have the Power Control System used a switch that allowed you to run 2 A/C units at a time. Some people just switched which units were running depending on how they were using the trailer at various times of day. Others rearranged the wiring to allow all 3 units to run, and managed power consumption manually.

50 Amp shore power provides two legs, each with 50 amps at 120V, or 6,000 watts per leg. That gives you 12,000 watts total.

An on-board 5500 generator provides two legs with 30 amps each, for 3,600 watts per leg and 7,200 watts total - really maybe a little less.

If each A/C unit pulls around 13 amps while running, that would be 1,560 watts apiece for a total of 4,680 watts. You have some hidden loads, like the Power Converter that can draw from 3 - 15 amps, or 360 - 1,800 watts.

So in the Texas heat, if you're on shore power, and run the water heater on propane, you should be able to use all 3 A/C units. On generator power, depending on what else is consuming power, you may be able to run all 3, or perhaps just 2 units.

Heartland ships Cyclones with a 5500 watt generator. If you want to move up to a 7kW unit, you'd have to work that out with your dealer.

porthole

Retired
An on-board 5500 generator provides two legs with 30 amps each, for 3,600 watts per leg and 7,200 watts total - really maybe a little less.

Onan's RV5500,
gasoline or propane is rated at 5500 watts continuous or surge, 46 amps total.
Just because it is equipped with two 30 amp breakers (sometimes a 30 and a 20) doesn't make it a 7200 watt genset.