Trailer Hitch

rutranger

We just recently purchased a 2017 Sundance XLT 285TS. I want to add a motorcycle carrier to the rear hitch of the trailer and am looking at one that will handle up to 1000 lbs, but I don't see or can I find where it states how much weight the hitch on the trailer can handle. Do you know what it can handle? Thank you...

jimtoo

Hi rutranger,

I am sure your unit will have the 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" hitch and it is only good for 150lbs. max. I'm sure you will get more comments soon. Also if you change or modify hitch or frame you will void your warranty.

I moved your thread to correct area also.

Jim M

SNOKING

1000 pounds? That is tow hauler category! Most normal travel trailer frames are not built for that kind of additional load. Chris

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
There are two weights that you need to consider. The first being vertical load limit. That is the tongue weight. The other is the total towing weight.
I'm your case, you would need to look at the tongue weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Landmark Charleston
2016 Ram 3500
Mega Cab
Dually
3:73 Axle Ratio

Oregon_Camper

I had a custom hitch manufactured and installed on my Bighorn, which works great. However, my dirtbike only weighs ~400lbs. I wouldn't try this with a 1000lbs. Perhaps you can get a hitch for the front of your truck?

2015-08-10 11.45.41.jpg 2015-08-10 11.43.36.jpg 2015-08-10 11.37.55.jpg

rutranger

Thank you all for all of the information and suggestions. The reason for the weight i was looking to handle was because I am going to load my KLR650 motorcycle on the back of my trailer which weighs approximately 450 lbs and at the same time I wanted to mount two 2000 watt Honda or Yamaha generators so that when I go boondocking I will have my bike with me as well as power if I needed it. I wasn't planning on carrying that much weight on the hitch I just wanted it strong enough to handle the load without having a problem. The bike and the two generators I figured to be approximately 650 to 700 lbs. I figured that I wouldn't have to worry to much about it if the hitch could handle 1000 lbs. Thanks again for all of you input, but I probably need to look at other alternatives it apperars.

- - - Updated - - -

After taking another look at this hitch I may want to reconsider the rear hitch idea. I guess I can always store the Generators in the back of my truck with the fuel. Extremely nice hitch. If you don't mind me asking what's the cost of one of these hitches?

I had a custom hitch manufactured and installed on my Bighorn, which works great. However, my dirtbike only weighs ~400lbs. I wouldn't try this with a 1000lbs. Perhaps you can get a hitch for the front of your truck?

View attachment 48869 View attachment 48870 View attachment 48871

Oregon_Camper

After taking another look at this hitch I may want to reconsider the rear hitch idea. I guess I can always store the Generators in the back of my truck with the fuel. Extremely nice hitch. If you don't mind me asking what's the cost of one of these hitches?

Price was ~$500, but the fabrication was done by a family friend, so it might be a bit less than normal. The entire hitch is custom...nothing that was off the shelf.

If you only have one motorcycle ( I carry 2...mine and wife's), I would suggest the same type of dual support insert for your motorcycle rack, but I would suggest you install the hitch on the front of your truck. You can see the motorcycle rack on the front of my truck in the picture below.

Carry generator (or go solar!!) in back of truck. :)

Capture.jpg

HornedToad

This is a picture of my tailgate buddies Sundance. He had a welder fabricate a removable carrier for his generator that weighs in at 250+ lbs. There are two long hitch receivers welded to the frame rails with the cantilever support rails extending about two feet underneath the trailer. Since this photo was taken he has painted it black and removed the railing on the door side so he can use a ramp to load the generator.

This carrier has hauled his 250 lb generator and gas cans for the past 2 years with ease. We did a fat boy test the first time we loaded the generator, with us standing on the platform too, it seemed to hold the 750 lbs without a problem, standing still. You are wise research if you can safely load a 1000 lbs on the rear of you trailer.

Attachments

• Rack.jpg
    Rack.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 38

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You should probably call Heartland before you do anything and find out what the actual rating of your rear bumper can hold.