Looking for repair and maintenance info on Ford vs. Chevy...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a 2006 F250 6.0 diesel that has about 425,000 miles on it. This year I had new heads installed and had to replace the transmission. I recently had all 8 injectors replaced. I have pretty well kept the truck in good running condition but I am also looking at the ability of the new trucks and am wanting to end up with a new one. I want to have one that will pull my trailer easier, has a engine break and some of the other niceties.. However I am at this time only interested in the repair and maintenance required. I have heard some are having a real problem with the DEF and such.

My diesel mechanic has been a Ford owner for a number of years but he indicated to me that I should look at the Chevy and GMC because he has to work on a lot of fords and few of the Chevy and GMC diesel trucks. I also talked to another private diesel mechanic through friends and he says he gets in more Chevy diesels and they are harder to work on than the Ford or Dodge. His preference is either the Ford or Dodge.

Now my dilemma is what do you drive and how much work is done on your Ford or Chevy/GMC. Here's what I would like to know. I don't want a debate about which one is the best. They are all good to a certain extent. You guys are the ones really using the diesel trucks and have to maintain them. What can you tell me about the truck you drive.

I am interested in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Have you had a problem with:
DEF
EGR Valve
Injectors
and other engine and transmission parts.

I don't know when I will get a new truck but I would like your input please.

Thanks and may God Bless

BC

BTW I have been reading many of the posts about the trucks. Especially the "New 2017 super duty numbers....DROOL!!" by IronJ..

SNOKING

They are all pretty good now. That said, the Ford is the only one for 2017 that has the Bosch CP4-2 injector pump that has had issues in the past. See my signature for my choice. If you go with Ram get the Aisin HD tranny and rear air ride. Chris

alexb2000

I agree that all three are doing well in the HD truck market.

When you talk to mechanics you have to consider that all of these trucks have become incredibly complex. All have VGT's, all have common rail 30,000psi fuel systems, all have advanced emissions with DEF, etc. As much as everyone tries to improve reliability, any system with that many moving parts is going to have the occasional issue.

My advice to anyone considering a HD truck is to get the extended warranty for at least as long as the payments last. I got a 125K mile warranty on my Ford for $1600 as a point of reference. I only have 20K on my 2016, so far zero issues.

Garypowell

I think a lot of the breakdowns are simply the luck of the draw. Since you have time just do a lot of looking and eventually your heart and head will lead you one way or the other.

We we have been towing for 20 years and started with a Ram....the only truck which my wife liked the looks, then a Ford, and then a 2008 Chevy 2500 and now a 2015 Chevy 3500. All except the 2015 gave us some problems but never enough to justify an extended warranty.

The only thing the chevy's don't have is up fitter switches but other than that a good ride and value.

OEFVET

The biggest issue with the Chevy/GMC Duramax is that they come from the factory with Bosch injectors that require a 2 micron fuel filter. The factory filter is a 6 micron filter. It is a simple kit to install and make it a 2 micron filter but it should come from the factory. If you get this truck and do not replace the factory 6 micron fuel filter you will need all new fuel injectors around the 100,000 mile mark.

I have posted this many times in the past to advise all Chevy/GMC owners.

rhodies1

I have a 2006 F250 6.0 diesel that has about 425,000 miles on it. This year I had new heads installed and had to replace the transmission. I recently had all 8 injectors replaced. I have pretty well kept the truck in good running condition but I am also looking at the ability of the new trucks and am wanting to end up with a new one. I want to have one that will pull my trailer easier, has a engine break and some of the other niceties.. However I am at this time only interested in the repair and maintenance required. I have heard some are having a real problem with the DEF and such.

My diesel mechanic has been a Ford owner for a number of years but he indicated to me that I should look at the Chevy and GMC because he has to work on a lot of fords and few of the Chevy and GMC diesel trucks. I also talked to another private diesel mechanic through friends and he says he gets in more Chevy diesels and they are harder to work on than the Ford or Dodge. His preference is either the Ford or Dodge.

Now my dilemma is what do you drive and how much work is done on your Ford or Chevy/GMC. Here's what I would like to know. I don't want a debate about which one is the best. They are all good to a certain extent. You guys are the ones really using the diesel trucks and have to maintain them. What can you tell me about the truck you drive.

I am interested in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Have you had a problem with:
DEF
EGR Valve
Injectors
and other engine and transmission parts.

I don't know when I will get a new truck but I would like your input please.

Thanks and may God Bless

BC

BTW I have been reading many of the posts about the trucks. Especially the "New 2017 super duty numbers....DROOL!!" by IronJ..

I currently have have a Ford ,my First,always been Chev....I will say it will most likely be my last Ford,I have 70 k on it and 15 months ago it developed a vibration,to date Ford Certified Techs have no clue what's causing it.Its been a guessing game.
I do not drive my truck in the winter months because of the salt used here in Nova Scotia Canada, Dealing with Ford trying to get the vibration fixed has been like pulling teeth on a shark totally frustrating and now they telll me my warranty expires on Jan 15 2017 so to bad so sad go away and stop bothering us.. Therefore ,no fix.. and NO more Fords.
I can tell you that if you need to replace a high pressure fuel pump on the Ford you will need to take the cab off the chassis to get at the pump....

Buy a Chev with the Allison tranny ,the biggest difference in purchasing a pre 2017 model Chev is that they are behind in the HP and Torque levels versus the other 2, the new 2017 Chev has better numbers than the other 2 ... my view,I'm going back to a Chev in the future.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Mine is not a diesel . . .

I have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD and in just over two years it rolled over 50,000 miles a couple of weeks ago:

Truck50000miles-IMAG0357.jpg

So far I have not had any problems at all with it, other than having the steering wheel replaced under warranty as the stitching was coming undone on the leather, ands the drivers side speakers were all replaced as they were blown when I got it.

I did just recently get a recall notice on the airbags, however.

And a new set of tires just before the Vegas Rally.

GregP

A comment for rhodies1. I also had problems with an earlier Ford product (transmission) which started to show up at around 19000 KM. The dealership repeatedly told me that they could not detect a problem and eventually the transmission failed completely at about 54000 KM. It was well under the mileage, but over by a couple of months on the warranty, and they initially told me that it was not covered, and I would have to pay for the tranny replacement. I am one of those people who keeps EVERY work order on my vehicles, and showed them that the problem had been reported on numerous occasions prior to warranty expiry and it was THEM who were unable/unwilling to repair the transmission. Long and short of it is that I got the new transmission under warranty. I no longer drive a Ford...not because I don't like them, but was not satisfied with the dealer response. Stick to your guns on the issues reported and not repaired under warranty.

rhodies1

A comment for rhodies1. I also had problems with an earlier Ford product (transmission) which started to show up at around 19000 KM. The dealership repeatedly told me that they could not detect a problem and eventually the transmission failed completely at about 54000 KM. It was well under the mileage, but over by a couple of months on the warranty, and they initially told me that it was not covered, and I would have to pay for the tranny replacement. I am one of those people who keeps EVERY work order on my vehicles, and showed them that the problem had been reported on numerous occasions prior to warranty expiry and it was THEM who were unable/unwilling to repair the transmission. Long and short of it is that I got the new transmission under warranty. I no longer drive a Ford...not because I don't like them, but was not satisfied with the dealer response. Stick to your guns on the issues reported and not repaired under warranty.

Consider yourself lucky with your unit,I have been butting heads for months,I have had every excuse possible,I have also been told that this vibration is a trait of the truck and nothing can be done to fix it, not presenting a great public image of your product.

MTPockets

2013 Ford F350DRW. Our second With the 6.7 diesel. 60,000 miles, zero issues.. just do scheduled maintenance. Use only 5w40 synthetic engine oil. Love this truck. The New model with with engine brake is even better. Good luck with your choice.

IronJ

I have 2 diesel mech friends (one owns a performance shop)....they both have thier opinions but say they are all pretty equal trucks .

My 12 dodge was in shop 6x for tranny issues...the non aisin dont like pulling 20k up hills full tilt i guess??. Other than that everything else i didnt like was personal preference.

1st 250 (2011) saw only 28k under my ownership...never an issue

2nd 250 (2012) was in once for a def heater pump (remember emmissions stuff is covered long after the reg 36/3 warranty)

3rd 350 (2015)has seen service 2x but because of a door rattle and to check the coolant additive

The only real thing i have EVER seen people bring up is the fuel pump...and even though its NOT ford specifc issue, there is an aftermarket reroute kit that is only 300$ and protects your fuel system in case of pump failure...if that is your only concern...

I still feel the ford has the best delivery of power and torque in a towing situation...and in the end thats what i bought the truck for.

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

porthole

Retired
Bob, FWIIW, I did 20+ years in several different multi franchise auto dealers.
Every shop was busy, Ford, Chrysler, GM et al, even the toyo's and nissans kept the techs busy.

They are all good, they all have the potential for mechanical problems and the emissions will just keep making it harder and harder to maintain decent reliability and performance, and still tow 15,000 plus pounds all day and night.

Pick the truck that makes you smile.

My 2006 D'max had about 86,000 when I sold it. Only problem was an EGR issue right before the 50K warranty ended,
My current 6.7 Ford has 85,000 and has not had any dealer trips for the engine.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks Guys for all the info. I would like to keep posting questions as I am going through the process of questions and information from the dealer and from documentation on the trucks.

Today I visited a Ford dealership that I have dealt with before. I talked to a sales person, Josh, that my family has used before and received good service.

He showed me a number of 2016 trucks but they were the 6 1/2 ft beds which I don't want. He told me that 8ft beds are not very common around here because most people in this area like the short beds. However when we went back into the dealership I asked about the red one on the show room floor. And he said "That one is an 8ft bed truck". Guess he had forgot about it. He said it was a 2016 but built in the earlier part of the year. I didn't have the time to go over everything but when I got back to my trailer I looked over the information he gave me.

I got a copy of the MSRP and I looked it over along with a list of information on the truck. My 2006 is a 4x4. This one is an FX4 off-road package and skid plate. That's just a 4 wheel drive truck.Manual locking hubs.. Is this where I can activate the 4 wheel drive either inside the cab or manually or just manually?? Also shows a 3.55 electronic locking axle. My 2006 is a 3.73 axle. This one is even higher. Is that going to be a problem pulling my Bighorn. I would like the 3.73 better I think. What do you think about a 3.55? Problem?? 11,500 GVRW.. 11,500 + 14,500 trailer keeps me inside of the 26,100. That's good.

I would like all comments.

Thanks for your input. More later..

BC

IronJ

The fx4 pack is nothng more than junk rancho branded shocks, skid plates (kinda handy), and a sticker...around here they are all mostly like that...no biggie...

The hubs have manual lock as a backup...ive never used mine and just use the sotf in the cab..easy peasy..

Im not even sure you can get a 3.73 in a srw 250...my 12 has the 3.55 and it will yanky my 19k trailer around like nothing if i need it to....i think the 3.55 e lock is standard on fx4 pack...

All in all a great rig..

Just check door sticker for actual payload...they are fat right off the bat...payload will get you first

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

brianlajoie

On my 2012 F350, I had a DEF sensor fail. It was fully covered (except my time waiting at the shop).

There are certainly different Ford shops around the country. I follow the severe maintenance and can tell you there are some dealerships that don't seem to have much experience. Don't like Boise, Love Stephensville Texas, Great Bend KS is good too. Colorado is so - so. It seems the more trucks around the better the mechanics are.

happykraut

Bob. I'm currently driving my fourth Dodge/RAM. I didn't own these trucks because the were Dodges, but because they all had Cummins diesels in them. The Cummins has a great reputation. My latest, a 2015, has the Aisin in it with the 3.42 rear end. Some say the Aisin is as good or slightly better than the Allison. Good luck in your decision making.

avvidclif

You didn't say if it was a 250 or a 350. If a 250 your GCVWR is going to bite you even if the payload is OK (which I doubt). Don't worry about the 3:55 locker. Mine is a 2009 and has less power but pulls around a 15,100 trailer just fine.

Lynn1130

While I understand the reason for asking this question, it is another "where you sit is where you stand" question and the VERY small sampling you will get here is really not going to tell you much. If you want a better sampling go to Consumer Reports and look at their vehicle reviews. This is a large sample of owners who respond on specific questions.

Someone suggested an extended warranty, which is another questionable purchase (why would someone do that with a truck and then tell everyone here not to bother with the trailer extended warranty?)
But, if I were so worried that the truck is going to fail, and most do at some point in their life, they are machines mind you, then spend the money for an extended warranty and buy the truck that turns you on. I can't speak for other brands but I do know that GM/Chevy have a long warranty on injectors, and related parts as well as the drive train. I would guess that the others do too.

Good luck with whatever you go with but realize that no matter how well you plan, something will break as some point.

porthole

Retired
(why would someone do that with a truck and then tell everyone here not to bother with the trailer extended warranty?)

I
really don't think there is anyway to compare the big three factory sponsored, good at every dealer in the USA and Canada extended service contract, with a RV dealer supplied 'warranty' that more then likely will be a tail light gimmick. E.G. when the tail lights are out of view, good luck with the contract.

For clarification, the policies offered by auto manufacturers are not extended warranty's, they are service contracts.

danemayer

While I understand the reason for asking this question, it is another "where you sit is where you stand" question and the VERY small sampling you will get here is really not going to tell you much. If you want a better sampling go to Consumer Reports and look at their vehicle reviews. This is a large sample of owners who respond on specific questions.

Someone suggested an extended warranty, which is another questionable purchase (why would someone do that with a truck and then tell everyone here not to bother with the trailer extended warranty?)
But, if I were so worried that the truck is going to fail, and most do at some point in their life, they are machines mind you, then spend the money for an extended warranty and buy the truck that turns you on. I can't speak for other brands but I do know that GM/Chevy have a long warranty on injectors, and related parts as well as the drive train. I would guess that the others do too.

Good luck with whatever you go with but realize that no matter how well you plan, something will break as some point.
I have purchased the 7 year/70,000 mile Toyota Factory Warranty Extensions from Toyota in the past to cover our 2005 and 2010 Prius. Those cars had a relatively short and low-mileage warranty compared to our diesel trucks, and because they used some advanced technology applied to a relatively low number of cars, there were a number of possible repairs that could be very expensive.

Both times I was able to negotiate the price of the warranty extension down by about 45%.

Being able to transfer the extended warranty made it very easy to sell the used car very quickly at a good price.

For our 2011 Landmark, I purchased a 3 year policy from Good Sam. The refrigerator repair in year 3 made it a wash, and that with Dometic contributing the cooling unit at no charge. If the cooling unit hadn't been free, we would have been ahead.

But now with more experience, and better understanding of what's covered, what's not, and the approval process, I wouldn't buy another RV policy.