ATF: North Trail - Fresh water tank problem

I was trying to winterize my travel Trailer and ran into a problem. I located all the valves and made sure they were in the proper position. All but one the one that shuts off the up take from the tank would not turn.I opened the value that should uptake the antifreeze and place it into the jug and turned on the pump. There was no uptake from the jug. I closed the value and poured the antifreeze into the tank and tried to run the pump. no joy. Because the weather was forecast to become frigid, I disconnected the input to the strainer and installed a kit and insere4d the end into the jug again. Turned the pump on and installed the antifreeze in the system. My question is why am I not getting any flow from the tank?

danemayer

If I'm following, the cutoff valve between pump and tank wouldn't close. So maybe the pump was trying to pull antifreeze from the jug, and air from the empty fresh tank.

Sometimes tanks sag a bit and there could be an area lower than the feed line to the pump. If that's the case, you might need to put quite a bit of antifreeze into the fresh tank before it would be enough to get to the pump.

Not sure I'm right. Others might have additional thoughts.

But the valve that doesn't turn needs to be replaced.

Steve.Twoknee

Not sure I completely understand the issue! It seems you couldn't pull antifreeze directly from the jug of antifreeze, using the water pump. I agree with danemayer in that it appears the shut off valve between the freshwater tank and pump didn't seal properly. Unfortunately (fortunately?) that is only an issue when you need to winterize. I would start with replacing that. Now, do I understand that you put antifreeze into the freshwater tank? I've never ever done that, so if that is what you did please make sure you take the time to rinse that tank out really well come spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm following, the cutoff valve between pump and tank wouldn't close. So maybe the pump was trying to pull antifreeze from the jug, and air from the empty fresh tank.

Sometimes tanks sag a bit and there could be an area lower than the feed line to the pump. If that's the case, you might need to put quite a bit of antifreeze into the fresh tank before it would be enough to get to the pump.

Not sure I'm right. Others might have additional thoughts.

But the valve that doesn't turn needs to be replaced.

I'm sure it was pulling air from the tank because it was pressurizing the system. It just bothered me that 2 gal. of antifreeze would not be picked up from the tank. We never use the tank water for drinking and only use it for what I call "Pee water" while we are on the road. But looks like I have a project come warm weather. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I HATE WINTER!!! :)

Not sure I completely understand the issue! It seems you couldn't pull antifreeze directly from the jug of antifreeze, using the water pump. I agree with danemayer in that it appears the shut off valve between the freshwater tank and pump didn't seal properly. Unfortunately (fortunately?) that is only an issue when you need to winterize. I would start with replacing that. Now, do I understand that you put antifreeze into the freshwater tank? I've never ever done that, so if that is what you did please make sure you take the time to rinse that tank out really well come spring!

I agree that the pump was pulling air from the tank because it would pressurize the system. What I didn't understand was that with two gals. of antifreeze in the tank the pump could not pull it up. The value from the tank to the pump is stuck so that it passes air or fluid from the tank to the pump. so that when I tried to get it to pull from the jug, it would just pull air. The winterizing connections are built into the unit. Replacing the value shouldn't be a problem but I was concerned that there was no draw of antifreeze from the tank. We have never used water from the tank on any unit I've owned for drinking. We have used it for what I call "pee" water. Did I mention I hate winter? :)

danemayer

When you go to replace the valve, the easiest thing to do is get a Sharkbite press-on ball valve. Like this . Since the existing valve is open, you'd just need to add this valve in-line by cutting the pex cleanly.

Steve.Twoknee

I agree that the pump was pulling air from the tank because it would pressurize the system. What I didn't understand was that with two gals. of antifreeze in the tank the pump could not pull it up. The value from the tank to the pump is stuck so that it passes air or fluid from the tank to the pump. so that when I tried to get it to pull from the jug, it would just pull air. The winterizing connections are built into the unit. Replacing the value shouldn't be a problem but I was concerned that there was no draw of antifreeze from the tank. We have never used water from the tank on any unit I've owned for drinking. We have used it for what I call "pee" water. Did I mention I hate winter? :)

Well it most certainly seems you have an additional reason to hate winter, and I don't blame you! Once you have the valve replaced you should be good to go.
As far as antifreeze in the freshwater tank goes- I completely get that water being used as 'pee' water, but if you actually made a list of the ways you and yours have used or do use water while camping you might be surprised (brushing teeth, coffee, filling the crock pot, washing dishes, so forth); so please be thorough in flushing out your freshwater!

danemayer

Thanks, for the information. BTW: Are you folks handling things well in CO?

We're in Pagosa Springs in SW Colorado. So we've been on the edge of most of the extreme weather so far this winter. And we're in our home with the RV out back. The past 6 winters we've taken the RV to Breckenridge, which has been right in the middle of the extreme weather. So this year I don't have to do anything special to keep the water running.;)

Our biggest challenge this year is convincing the new puppy to go outside when it's cold and windy.
Callie-look-at-camera.jpg

We're in Pagosa Springs in SW Colorado. So we've been on the edge of most of the extreme weather so far this winter. And we're in our home with the RV out back. The past 6 winters we've taken the RV to Breckenridge, which has been right in the middle of the extreme weather. So this year I don't have to do anything special to keep the water running.;)

Our biggest challenge this year is convincing the new puppy to go outside when it's cold and windy.
View attachment 48940

We have the same problem with our rotten white dog. He doesn't like to get wet. Many thanks for the help. Merry Christmas.

DSC_0013.jpg

Steve.Twoknee

-16 without any wind this morning! Might be the first time my pup didn't immediately roll around in the snow!
5dc46a26c902c52d0a0bdde4928473dc.jpg

Steve.Twoknee

He is also a bed hog and I'm pretty sure he considers our TT as his own dog house! Merry Christmas

When you go to replace the valve, the easiest thing to do is get a Sharkbite press-on ball valve. Like this . Since the existing valve is open, you'd just need to add this valve in-line by cutting the pex cleanly.

Well I have replace the valve. I used one that has male push on both ends and used a different type clamp. I used the type that has has the screw clamping. I did have a bit of a problem while trying to force the tubing onto the valve, but a touch of Vaseline and it slipped right on. Vaseline is great for a lot of things.