Port-A-Deck vs GlowStep Revolution

Skywrench

Full Timer
I'm not a big fan of the factory steps that come on most towables. We have a dog with health issues that needs to be carried in and out every 3 or 4 hours. Our fifth wheel came with only 3 steps to go from the 40+ inch door height to the ground. They also had a fair amount of flex. On top of that there wasn't even a handrail installed from the factory. I was worried my wife would fall and be injured.

We own the Port-A-Deck with steps and have now acquired the GlowStep Revolution. Below is a comparison of the two for those thinking about upgrading their steps.

Port-A-Deck
Pros:
 The deck is an awesome feature
 Deck can be expanded for additional $$
 Comes with steps and handrails
 Very stable
 Every leg on deck is adjustable – works on uneven ground
 Steps have legs that are independently adjustable
 Installs with no tools
 Deck and steps feature anti slip surface
 Perfect for those who stay parked in one place for extended periods
Cons:
 They do take 20 mins to set up each time
 They take up a lot of storage space. They consume about ¼ of the space in my pass thru storage.
 More expensive than GlowStep

GlowStep Revolution
Pros:
 Mounts in place of factory steps – does not take up storage space
 Very stable
 Legs on bottom of steps are independently adjustable – works on uneven ground
 Steps are adjustable. There are 3 height adjustments (door to step height)
 Once installed they are quick and easy to set up each time
 Less expensive than Port-A-Deck
 Each step has a small glow in the dark patch on each side of the step
 Excellent fit on my coach. Looks Factory
 Steps have anti slip surface
 Perfect for those who move around a lot
Cons:
 They require removal of old steps and installation which may add to initial cost
 No deck
 Does not come with hand rails (can be purchased separately)

Pics coming soon.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Since we are seasonal (May - Oct) site users, the Porta-Deck works well for us. Laying the two deck panels on the floor of the basement storage area allows our other gear to be easily placed on them. The porch frame and the steps don't take up a 1/4 of the space either. But yes, about 20 minutes to set up or take down and put away.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes. Especially since our site is sloped slightly away from the door and the OEM steps are like a springboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skywrench

Full Timer
Here are the pictures I promised.

Attachments

• PortA-Step.jpg
    PortA-Step.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 331
  • GlowStep Revolution.jpg
    GlowStep Revolution.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 327
  • RV Steps.jpg
    RV Steps.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 339

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Great info! We strongly considered the Port-a-Deck when we first started fulltiming since we still work, we are semi-stationary. But the cost and space they take up to move with them was prohibitive to us. The Glowstep Revolution steps have satisfied the need for better steps that adjust to varied heights, feel more secure, and have traction grooves on them making them completely slip resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mburtsvt

I have the Port A Deck system, (steps and deck). I’m also lazy. I have to admit for casual camping, (under 2-3 days), I do not set up the deck system. As far as storage - I keep the deck sections in the RV storage bay and the steps and deck frame in the back of the truck. They clear the hitch and fit right behind the tail gate. With two knee replacements I do love the stability of the decks. My only real problem with the Port A Deck was the finish of the product. I had to sand down a lot of high welds to get it to the point to where it did not pinch my fingers when I moved it. For the first few months I wore gloves to set it up.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The other advantage of the Porta-Deck is that you're at door level when unlocking/opening the door and don't have to duck as you open it.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also wont to thank you for the review of these two products. It gives us something to think about.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have ordered one of the Glowstep Revolution steps. I'll let you know how it goes on install and after we use it for awhile.

Gary521

Have a question regarding the Glowstep. When on the road and have need to get into the trailer, how do the steps function with regard to contact with the ground? Do they need to contact the ground? Just how do they work in this situation?

Nabo

Yes - saw this earlier on facebook but haven't venture into doing more research on getting them. We bought the Alumi-Tread Steps at the National Rally last year in Goshen which was a big improvement from the factory steps but not sure if hubby will agree to move up again.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
They do go out a little bit further, but not a lot. The additional length makes a better step angle. Much more comfortable "climb" in my humble opinion.

TravelTiger

They do go out a little bit further, but not a lot. The additional length makes a better step angle. Much more comfortable "climb" in my humble opinion.

Agreed! Because of the ability to adjust to any terrain, the step size is more even from inside to ground, the angle of the rise is not as steep. Much easier on the knees if you have knee issues, like me!

58f97f4aadbe5352d7709545aa8a8a24.jpg

Nabo

Erika, the first step out of the camper looks like it drops more than the rest of the steps. Do you notice the first drop lower more than the others?

TravelTiger

Erika, the first step out of the camper looks like it drops more than the rest of the steps. Do you notice the first drop lower more than the others?

It depends on the adjustment to the terrain whether it is a noticeable difference, or not. This is a pic from our home park, and thus we use it daily for many weeks in a row. I don't notice a bigger step. (Upon looking again, I don't think it is. I'll try to measure.)

The top step has three positions, to accommodate this. In our home park it works best in the medium position. I could move it closer to the camper, but it would make all the steps much further apart. You make adjustments based on what fits the terrain.

A true test was going to the RV show. Every camper is inside a convention center on perfectly level cement. Nearly all, including Heartlands, the first step was too close to the ground, too far away from the ground, or the last step into the camper was too high, or too close, or the rise was too steep. It was literally painful! Then, we saw a fiver with Glowstep Revolution as OEM. Instantly, we went in and those steps felt "perfect" going up and down.

TravelTiger

5b534805dc5b8aaec52cbcd43715f955.jpg

d607562db4ce4b2ff8d3a8eeca47e47b.jpg

These are pics - before and after, taken from about the same view.