Grey water tank leaking?

TxRoadWarrior362

I have water leaking out of the front belly section. The black plastic sheeting is bowed and appears that something is resting on it. I believe it's grey water that's leaking out of the belly.

Tim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 133

danemayer

I have water leaking out of the front belly section. The black plastic sheeting is bowed and appears that something is resting on it. I believe it's grey water that's leaking out of the belly.

Tim
The fresh tank is usually close to the axles for weight distribution. That makes me wonder, if it's fresh water, why the water isn't accumulating further back.

If the water coming out smells, it's from a gray tank.

Toy haulers may have 2 fresh tanks connected by a short hose. There have been some posts about those hoses leaking or coming disconnected.

You're going to have to remove some of the screws and let the coroplast partially down to investigate. An impact wrench will do a much better job than a ratchet.

mlpeloquin

You can tell by the smell. Gray water really stinks. Use a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch drill by hand and open a hole at the lowest point with a container under it. Keep the drill to use as a plug when you need to empty the container. Fresh or gray, you need to get the water out. You could have a PEX fitting leaking and not the sewer line. So once the water is out, unscrew the fasteners the hold the coroplast on and take a look for the leak. If it is a PEX fitting, replace it with a shark bite fitting.

TxRoadWarrior362

Thanks for the responses. We are home now, and I'll bring it to our dealer on Tuesday for warranty work on the leak. I didn't want to take anything apart that might jeopardize the warranty.

I believe it's gray water due to the smell.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!

Update. Gray water tank broke free of the mounting hardware. Messed up the plumbing to the tank at the same time. Waiting on Heartland to authorize repair.

We love our trailer, but are loosing faith in the quality And workmanship. What's Next?? It's been in the shop more than in our possession. Thinking we might have a lemon.

Tim

hboy1

Sorry, thank's a stinker.

Do you mind sharing, were you traveling with grey water? If so, about how full was the tank?

I've read/heard other instances (not just Heartland) where a grey tank drops. I've read folks who say they've been told by dealer to never travel with grey water. Then the rest of us say "aren't they made to travel with fluid in tanks?"

Just wondering if there is something to that.... Thanks.

TxRoadWarrior362

Sorry, thank's a stinker.

Do you mind sharing, were you traveling with grey water? If so, about how full was the tank?

I've read/heard other instances (not just Heartland) where a grey tank drops. I've read folks who say they've been told by dealer to never travel with grey water. Then the rest of us say "aren't they made to travel with fluid in tanks?"

tank was empty during travel. We moved from one RV park to another. I drained all tanks at the first park before moving. Gray water was 3/4 full before draining. Our fresh water tank stays on city fill.

rocrider50

My Cyclone had similar issues with leaks. Pop over to the Cyclone general discussion and you will see. Since these are sister vehicles I would guess so. I in the end dropped my pan and added an angle iron to both ends of each tank. When full the end of the tank bowed terribly and was only supported in the middle with two straps. It was easy enough to put in the angle iron, I left a gap on the end for expansion. May be over kill but I fell safer. I do travel with water in the fresh tanks some times.

Oregon_Camper

I've read folks who say they've been told by dealer to never travel with grey water. Then the rest of us say "aren't they made to travel with fluid in tanks?"

By no means is this directed as you....just a comment back to lubricious mumbo jumbo that comes out of some dealers mouth. :mad:

These RV's come ready to camp (vs RV) out in the middle of nowhere. Just how the heck are you suppose to empty your grey tank, after say 7-10 days in the wilderness, before you travel? What about the black tank...should that be empty prior to departure too??

joembx

You can tell by the smell. Gray water really stinks. Use a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch drill by hand and open a hole at the lowest point with a container under it. Keep the drill to use as a plug when you need to empty the container. Fresh or gray, you need to get the water out. You could have a PEX fitting leaking and not the sewer line. So once the water is out, unscrew the fasteners the hold the coroplast on and take a look for the leak. If it is a PEX fitting, replace it with a shark bite fitting.
hi marc an carol, from the way your talking it sounds like you know,if you dont mind id like to ask a question,,,,when you say coroplast is that the plastic corrugated material covering the belly ? also can it be taken down by bolts on perimeter to revel everything up there,,,i would like to mabey add bracing to tanks if necessary. would also like to know everything up there ,thank you
joe an barbara milyko
2017 road warrior 427

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
hi marc an carol, from the way your talking it sounds like you know,if you dont mind id like to ask a question,,,,when you say coroplast is that the plastic corrugated material covering the belly ? also can it be taken down by bolts on perimeter to revel everything up there,,,i would like to mabey add bracing to tanks if necessary. would also like to know everything up there ,thank you
joe an barbara milyko
2017 road warrior 427

You can certainly drop the coroplast . . . but it is a real PITA to put it back up!

joembx

You can certainly drop the coroplast . . . but it is a real PITA to put it back up!
thanks for the comeback John D,from what post ive read about these tanks dropping do you think its worth looking or possibly adding bracing these tanks,,, im new to fifth wheels,but im amazed at the things ive found wrong with a brand new rig,,most of which are from workers on the line that take no pride,and i guess very little QC,sorry about rambling ,thanks joe

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
thanks for the comeback John D,from what post ive read about these tanks dropping do you think its worth looking or possibly adding bracing these tanks,,, im new to fifth wheels,but im amazed at the things ive found wrong with a brand new rig,,most of which are from workers on the line that take no pride,and i guess very little QC,sorry about rambling ,thanks joe

I guess we've been lucky and haven't had any tank issues with the two Heartland RV's we've purchased (former Trail Runner and current Prowler), but I've read here where many who fill their tanks like to sturdy them up!

We rarely, if ever, pull with full tanks, so that may be why we haven't had any issues.