Any salesmen recommendations in/around San Antonio?

AFMagnum

After doing about 8 months of research, we're getting ready to buy (or potentially order) a BC 4010RD and wondered if anyone had any good recommendations on a salesman near San Antonio. I'm not as worried about the dealership since we'll be moving out of the area this summer and not relying on their service department. I'm hoping to find someone willing to work with us through all aspects of the process since this is going to be our first RV.

Any suggestions (or "warnings") are greatly appreciated!

-Jeff & Beth

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
ExploreUSA probably has a monopoly on Big Country up and down the I-35 corridor. They have many locations, and move their inventory between locations often to make a deal. They buy in bulk, ordering all their in-stock units with the same packages/features/upgrades, with the only real difference being color. I am sure if you don't see "the one" on their lot, they can order it.

How good are they as a dealership? Well, we bought from the Mesquite (Dallas) location. This is our third RV, and overall the experience was probably a B-minus.

I would not restrict yourself to looking only locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Towedjmpr

I bought from San Antonio RV in Seguin. Probably would not do it again.

I like the Explore USA in Seguin. Good staff and their shop is good.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

gasman

Camp Socializer
If you are open to any place, we purchased our BC from Legacy RV in Salt Lake City, UT. Fantastic experience with the sales process and service after the sale. Our salesman was Troy Bradley. He was lots of fun to deal with. The service manager is Matt Richards. Great service department.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We bought our LM from the Ron Hoover RV location in Houston (Katy) and were very satisfied with their price and service. It might be worth the drive to check them out.

AFMagnum

Thanks everyone. And Jay, I've heard a lot of good things about the Ron Hoover out of Katy. We're definetly going to check them out!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Ask for Joe French. He's the GM and will help you out. Tell him I sent you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarterKraft

We bought our Torque from Gabe in Seguin after we were not impressed with MANY of the dealers here in North Texas.

We were looking in the heat of Texas summer for a bumper pull, separate garage toy hauler at which time the majority of the dealers did not have. All of them even the EUSA dealership in Ft. Worth declined to show us around or offer any options.

While in San Antonio on vacation we hit up Seguin and at Explore USA Gabe said immediately he didn't have what we were looking for but wanted to show us the models and brands he did have in case we might want to order one. We sweated our butts off and checked out several models. I ended up calling and ordering one, like he thought I might.

Did the whole purchase over the phone even from Kansas for work.
I would definitely buy from him again.

I have no idea if the below info is still any good or if he is even working there.

Gabriel Calderon
Sales Manager
ExploreUSA RV Supercenter
3654 IH-10 West
Seguin, Texas 78155
Cell: 979-220-6252
Phone: 830-303-2040
Fax: 830-303-2036
Toll Free: 866-813-2770
gcalderon@exploreusa.com

TxCowboy

Laurie and I have purchased three RVs from Explore USA Seguin over the past five years and still own two off them. Pricing was fair to start with, negotiations went very well, and we left with the feeling that we made good purchases.

Kevin Pryor was the Sales Manager and very easy to work with. The PDIs on all of our purchases went very well and we didn't feel rushed in any way. I would, however, do a good follow-up on any items you might find on the PDI. We had a few minor issues, including a broken kitchen faucet, that we found during the PDI that were supposed to have repaired or replaced and they were not. Heartland did come through with the necessary replacement items without any problems so it all worked out well.

We highly recommend Explore USA Seguin.

brianlajoie

I would consider using the net for your search. rvtrader.com has 54 of that exact model. The prices vary by over 20k and that is just the advertised price. I would use that to consider your options (or at least as a starting point). IMHO you are in a good spot to be looking for a trailer at this time a year. The 2018 models are just around the corner and winter is not the best time to be a dealer with many trailers to sell.

Make sure your PDI (pre-delivery inspection) list is very thorough. We too were first time buyers, but with our 7 page list and a not married to the trailer approach, we traveled over 1k miles and were very pleased with the trailer and the price we received. After we left the dealer, we have only used RVIA/RVDA certified independent techs to do things we were not ready to tackle yet (including warranty work).

Happy trails!

AFMagnum

Thank you CarterKraft and TxCowboy, sounds like the ExploreUSA in Seguin is a defined possibility. I'll look for them at the upcoming South Texas Super RV Sale next weekend.

Brianlajoie, I practically live on RVTrader right now and I've gone through every profile of the 54 Big Country 4010RDs that are currently listed. I'm using that as my reference when negotiating price, but if no one around here can match the savings, then I have no problem traveling for the right RV. I've pulled a number of PDI checklists off here to ensure I'm prepared, but I especially like the idea of any dealer that allows you to stay onsite for a day or more to make sure everything is good to go. MHSRV does that, but they don't sell Big Country.

If possible, I still want to try and buy somewhat locally incase I run into a problem even after a thorough PDI. I plan on getting the RV about 1.5 months before we move so I have a little time to follow up with the dealer before I take it on the road.

RonTimmer

When I was stationed at Ft. Sam I took the Wilderness I owned at the time to the Explore USA in Boerne for several repairs that I needed. The service center was great and the dealership in general seemed well run but I can't personally vouch for their sales department but I think they would be worth checking out.