ATF: Big Country - Adding a receiver hitch to rear frame

D_BTravelers

We are picking up our new 2016 Big Country 3650RL on Friday and during walk around I noticed a short 18" piece of channel frame welded below the ends of the carriage frame; right below and just ahead of the rear bumper. I know the rear bumper is not heavy enough for a receiver that will allow 2 bicycles to be carried, but can I weld a beam between the two short channels and mount a receiver there? I could further support it by bracing it to the bumper, which should keep it from flexing.
Will this void the warranty on the frame, or are these two short pieces of channel for this type of use? We also have a ladder mounted bicycle rack, but as I get older lifting the bicycles up onto it is getting to be harder to do.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Many on this forum, including myself, have welded a hitch to the rear of the frame.
Those channels that are not welded to the rear of the frame are for a bolt on hitch. Most people are not happy with the flimsy hitch that is available.
I suggest that you fabricate, or have someone do it, a hitch using 2" square tubing. It will be very sturdy. Someone here recently posted pics of their homemade hitch and it looks great. Here is a link to that post. [LINK]
As far as warranty, it's unknown if welding would void your warranty. If the hitch was the cause of the frame warranty then yes it could be voided. However I have not heard of anyone having their frame warranty claim denied.

Peace
Dave