Hot water heater big country

jimtoo

Hi stratcat,

Probably need a little more info about your water heater. Have you used it recently? Are you trying gas or electric? If gas (propane) does it make any noise like it is trying to come on and can you hear the fan come on? How old is your unit?

Give us a little more info and someone will probably give you and answer.

Jim M

stratcat

Sorry I haven't gotten back here for awhile. Thought I had the problem cleared up. I have an Atwood 10gallon duel electric/propane hot water heater. Heats fine on electric. On propane will heat water one of us takes a shower and it will not fire off for a second shower to recover. if I turn on both electric and propane at same time I can hear propane start usually about 30-40 min after turning on elec. There are 2 sensors on the propane system and I think one is sticking in the open position just not real sure how to check the. there are 4 wires 2 red 2 brown coming off the circuit board are these the sensors? and what is correct/safe way to check them???

danemayer

Here's the wiring for a typical Atwood Water Heater. Unlike the Suburban, there's a single thermostat and ECO. So if it works properly on electric, those are ok. The control board opens the gas valve and the control board fires the ignition, and senses the flame. So I think that you could have either 1) marginal propane flow, 2) a bad control board, 3) a bad or out of adjustment igniter/flame sensor, or 4) a bad gas valve.

Atwood Water Heater Diagram.jpg

RoadJunkie

Are you getting a spark on your piezoelectric igniting gap? You should be able to hear the small crackle as your heater attempts to light when you first select propane operation. It may be that you need to burnish the electrode and inspect the gap.