"Scare lights" on 2011 BC 3510RL

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
Our recently acquired 2011 3510RL came with the LINC remote controller.

One function is control of the "scare lights".

That works just fine, but I can't find the regular manual switch to control those lights. Is there one?

jbeletti

Strange design decision!

Hans - I think the decision to eliminate this feature was for economic and competitive reasons. I believe it was also felt that a large percentage of owners didn't use the remote system much. As such, to saddle 100% of the buyers with the cost of the feature didn't make economic sense.

That's not to say that no one loves it. Many do and would never want to be without it.

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
Hans - I think it the decision to eliminate this feature was for economic and competitive reasons. I believe it was also felt that a large percentage of owners didn't use the remote system much. As such, to saddle 100% of the buyers with the cost of the feature didn't make economic sense.

That's not to say that no one loves it. Many do and would never want to be without it.

Oh, the LINC is fine. Not complaining about that.

What I find strange is the fact that there is no manual switch for the scare lights.

jbeletti

Oh, the LINC is fine. Not complaining about that.

What I find strange is the fact that there is no manual switch for the scare lights.

Apologies for misunderstanding.

If you find the relay panel board, you'll be able to determine which relay controls the scare lights and possibly add a manual switch to that circuit.

danemayer

Hans,

I kind of liken it to the remote key fob for the truck. I love it and use it all the time. But I still want a key as backup.

Same thing with other devices. I've been adding some home automation so I can use voice control to turn household devices on and off. It's very nice, but I wouldn't do it without also having an on/off button on each device as a backup.

As Jim suggested, it shouldn't be too hard to add a switch.

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
Apologies for misunderstanding.

If you find the relay panel board, you'll be able to determine which relay controls the scare lights and possibly add a manual switch to that circuit.

I'm a retired electrical engineer, so adding a switch is something I can figure out.

What I can't figure out is "where the heck did they hide the relay board?" !!!

None of the spots suggested so far have any evidence of an access panel.

Strangest design I ever heard of!

jbeletti

Hans - call Heartland Customer Service tomorrow to see if they can help you find the RCVR / RELAY panelboard. 877-262-6992 - have your VIN ready.

jbeletti

Thanks!

I'm traveling the next several days (going to the Superstition Mountains to hide from my snowblower) but I'll save that phone number.

Call them on a rest or lunch break so you can ponder the response, then tear into it one night to have a look see, then create your circuit design and BOM and go shopping :)

Have fun Hans! And be sure and document your project. With pics!

danemayer

Hans,

Most of the wires are clustered together behind the circuit breaker panel and fuse box. So it's likely the control box is nearby. If you have cabinets on that wall, empty them out and with a flashlight look for a cover panel inside one of the cabinets. In the Washer/Dryer prep area by the entry is another possibility.

happykraut

On my BH there is a panel in the cubboard that has the lighting panel in it. It is held in with two screws. It's been a long time since I had that cover off and can't remember what was behind it. It might be worth your while to check it out. Might be hard to see if it is full of groceries or food, but it is the back panel that matches the surrounding wood.

rhodies1

Re: Scare light switch

Scare light switch is usually inside the cabinet with all the other control switches,the switch inside on the wall near the floor is usually your outdoor step switch.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

Could have been on a remote control. Have you tried calling Customer Service?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else

Could have been on a remote control. Have you tried calling Customer Service?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn't that the switch on the first step (inside trailer)?

Yes, it is on the remote control.

But who regularly carries that clunky thing around?

Seems that there HAS TO BE a regular switch, but we've searched high and low with no result.

Calling customer service results in busy-signal-frustration.