Best tire suggestion???

We just purchased a 2016 Sundance XLT. I have read on other sources and on Utube horror stories of fifth wheels having blow outs and the driver not even knowing until the undercarriage is damaged along with plumbing being ripped out etc. Some sources suggest light truck tires and some suggest moving up from 15" to a 16" rim. I certainly don't want that damage and especially occurring on the ALCAN. What tire do you suggest?:confused:

jimtoo

Hi ChuckandSonPotter,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I am sure you will get lots of suggestions for tires very soon. It would be a good idea if you posted what tires are on the unit now and is this a new unit.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

dbbls59

How heavy is your Sundance? Michelin Ribs are all steel and are used by many with trailers up to about 35 or 36 feet. Heavier trailers may use G rated tires and Sailun S637 tires are a good choice. Much less expensive than Goodyear G614. G rated tires require 110 psi however so if you go that route make sure your rims are rated for that much pressure. The pressure rating should be stamped on the back side of the rims.

danemayer

Apart from tire choice, I've seen previous posts about traveling to Alaska with 2 spares, probably because of distance between locations where a tire can be replaced.

Thanks for the suggestions. I laced the needed details earlier. My rig is 2016 Sundance XLT 267RL having a GVWR of 9900 lbs., dual axle of 4400 lbs each which I found interesting that is is below the GVWR. I don't know if that is normal. However it has ST225/75R15-D. I have read that G rating is the preferred but wow are they expensive! Thanks to all!!

danemayer

My rig is 2016 Sundance XLT 267RL having a GVWR of 9900 lbs., dual axle of 4400 lbs each which I found interesting that is is below the GVWR. I don't know if that is normal.

On 5th wheels, you can generally estimate that 20% of the GVWR sits on the hitch. For your 9900 GVWR, 1,980 lbs would be on the hitch and the remaining 7,920 would be on the axles.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Have a look at the Maxxis 8008 load range E tires.

That is what I will be getting for our 2015 Prowler, which has the same size tires that you have on your Sundance.