What do you tow your Trail Runner with?

JSchneib

I am going to put myself out there for ridicule (possibly) to get everyone's opinion on tow vehicles. The point is to share and learn from each other. I have a 27rks and I tow it with my 2015 Ram 1500 diesel. I also own a 2003 Dodge 2500 HD with a 5.7 Hemi. The 1500 pulls it better since the diesel makes much more torque and has a 8 speed transmission compared to the 3 speed in my 2500. Also, the 1500 has more modern rear suspension. Other than that, the trucks are the the same in construction, weight, brakes, etc. The 2500 is rated at 12,000 lb towing sure to 2wd and 4.10 gears. The 1500 is rated at 8950 lbs by the new SAE standard that did not exist when the 2500 was rated. So, given this info I would like to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I just came across this question so I thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth. I have a 2017 27RKS and I tow it with a 2016 Ford F150 with the Ecoboost 3.5L V6 and Tow package. GCVWR = 16,100lbs, GVWR = 7,000lbs. The Ecoboost generates 365HP and 420ft-lbs torque. It can tow it just fine and breaking is no problem. I get about 8mpg towing at 70mph and without the RV I get 23mpg on the highway at 75mph.

Jlighty

Easily Confused
I'm sure I'm pushing limits - but I'm picking up a 302SLE tonight and will be towing it with a Nissan Armada -
The Armada GCVWR is 14,700 Tow Capacity is 8500, TW is 850. The tongue weight is a concern - but I've read a TON about WD Hitches and I'm pretty certain I'll be just fine. The 302 dry is 6608, Gross for axles is 8900 - so I just can't cram a ton of stuff in her. The tongue weight is baffling - 1025... I need to pay attention to my load plan.
I'll try and update with how it goes.

Tsys100718

I purchased a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn edition, with the 5.7 Hemi, just to tow our new 302SLE.

I opted for the 3:21 gearing to pick up some needed MPG when not towing. This gave me a towing capacity of approx. 8,700 lbs., which is more than adequate for the 302SLE's weight. This also gives me the ability to upsize my tires by two sidewall sizes, (i.e. 275 to 295), and thus alter the gear ratio up to 3:43, if I am unsatisfied with the towing performance. I average a calculated MPG of 16.6 around town and the instrument cluster shows 16.2. I have not had the truck on a non-towing trip as of yet, but will update this post when I do with that MPG.

The Ram seems to get decent MPG if I keep the RPMs below 2,000. It's a bit hard at times to keep it under 2 grand, but it IS possible. I follow that rule whether I am towing or not. I am not the first off the line, but I do get there!

We took our trailer on it's maiden voyage, if you will, to Chattanooga, TN. We live in Columbus, GA, so we were 3+ hours of freeway driving, according to the nav. system, from our destination. I always set my cruise 5 mph over the posted limit. And averaged a respectable 7.8 MPG that I calculated. The MPG displayed on the instrument cluster was 7.3. That was with a lot of stop and go traffic since the 3+ hour drive ended up being a little over 6.

On the return voyage, I kept the cruise set right on the posted limit. The results were 7.7 calculated and 7.1 on the instrument cluster. Not dramatically different from the way I normally drive on freeways.

Before anyone tells me how unsafe it is to tow a 34 foot trailer with the cruise control set on 75 MPH, let me make this statement. In 12 years as a tractor-trailer Owner Operator, I logged over 2 million miles ACCIDENT FREE miles and have USDOT plaques to that affect.

danemayer

Before anyone tells me how unsafe it is to tow a 34 foot trailer with the cruise control set on 75 MPH, let me make this statement. In 12 years as a tractor-trailer Owner Operator, I logged over 2 million miles ACCIDENT FREE miles and have USDOT plaques to that affect.

You might want to check the tires on the trailer. Most RVs have ST tires rated for a max speed of 65 mph. At least one tire expert believes that the heat buildup above 65 mph cause cumulative internal damage. Then, one day, kaboom!

Tsys100718

You might want to check the tires on the trailer. Most RVs have ST tires rated for a max speed of 65 mph. At least one tire expert believes that the heat buildup above 65 mph cause cumulative internal damage. Then, one day, kaboom!

One has to wonder if that expert is one of the myriad of experts that taut running your best tires on your drive axle versus running them on your steer axle.

As it happens, I swapped all five factory RAINIER ST tires for Goodyear Endurance ST tires. They have a higher load rating(2540 single vs 3640 single) and an N speed rating that is good to 87 MPH. So I think I am covered at 5 mph over the posted limit everywhere but Montana.

Not to mention that the increased size, 235 75R16 vs 225 75R15, offers increased fuel mileage since they don't rotate quite as fast and therefor have less rolling resistance.

On a lighter note and after some research, the RAINIER ST tires that came with the trailer carry a L speed rating. They are rated at 75 mph.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
One has to wonder if that expert is one of the myriad of experts that taut running your best tires on your drive axle versus running them on your steer axle.

As it happens, I swapped all five factory RAINIER ST tires for Goodyear Endurance ST tires. They have a higher load rating(2540 single vs 3640 single) and an N speed rating that is good to 87 MPH. So I think I am covered at 5 mph over the posted limit everywhere but Montana.

Not to mention that the increased size, 235 75R16 vs 225 75R15, offers increased fuel mileage since they don't rotate quite as fast and therefor have less rolling resistance.

On a lighter note and after some research, the RAINIER ST tires that came with the trailer carry a L speed rating. They are rated at 75 mph.

There is a belief within this forum that St tires all have a speed rating of 65 MPH. I think this was old information from older ST tires. Every tire I have checked has a speed rating of at least L or 75 MPH including the Sailun's I am running on my Cyclone.

harry444

I have a Trail Runner TR 30 USBH i first pulled it with a 2014 Ford F 150 with a 5.0L V8. While the truck pulled it I found the Trailer was just too much for this truck. The trailer weighs in at 6600lbs and the truck is rated for 7000 so you could say loaded it was too heavy to tow it. What I did was buy a 2017 Ford F 250 with a 6.7 power stroke Diesel sporting 480 HP and over 900 Ft lbs of torque towing with this rig is a dream you don't even know this trailer is behind me going up hills i don't even down shift it just glides right on over any hill i climb. so this is what my TV is.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
For all you "thinking" you'll be ok, check out www.fifthwheelst.com for safe towing calculators and info, even for bumper pull trailers.

Don't guess, KNOW what is safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

There is a belief within this forum that St tires all have a speed rating of 65 MPH. I think this was old information from older ST tires. Every tire I have checked has a speed rating of at least L or 75 MPH including the Sailun's I am running on my Cyclone.

Most information I've seen on ST tires comes from retailer websites. It can be difficult or impossible to find specifications like speed ratings on many manufacturer websites. So that begs the question of where the retailer got the specs and who stands behind them. I don't put much trust in retailer website information.

In the case of Sailun, as I recall, Sailun does publish specifications. And given the nearly perfect experiences reported online, the speed rating on a Sailun is probably reliable.

First TV was a Toyota Sequioa with the 5.7 engine. It towed it fine but I felt a little uneasy, even though we did not exceed towing capacity. We then got a second TV which is a 2011 F-250 6.7 Powerstroke. Truck is amazing. Power, Brakes, Suspension and overall confidence in the truck is superior to the Toyota.

Attachments

• C08B3149-36CD-4421-9808-F929908B4B8F.jpg
    C08B3149-36CD-4421-9808-F929908B4B8F.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 908B0B80-F53B-4AC3-8BFF-329B18B4CF27.jpg
    908B0B80-F53B-4AC3-8BFF-329B18B4CF27.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 20

rblack222

I purchased a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn edition, with the 5.7 Hemi, just to tow our new 302SLE.

I opted for the 3:21 gearing to pick up some needed MPG when not towing. This gave me a towing capacity of approx. 8,700 lbs., which is more than adequate for the 302SLE's weight. This also gives me the ability to upsize my tires by two sidewall sizes, (i.e. 275 to 295), and thus alter the gear ratio up to 3:43, if I am unsatisfied with the towing performance. I average a calculated MPG of 16.6 around town and the instrument cluster shows 16.2. I have not had the truck on a non-towing trip as of yet, but will update this post when I do with that MPG.

The Ram seems to get decent MPG if I keep the RPMs below 2,000. It's a bit hard at times to keep it under 2 grand, but it IS possible. I follow that rule whether I am towing or not. I am not the first off the line, but I do get there!

We took our trailer on it's maiden voyage, if you will, to Chattanooga, TN. We live in Columbus, GA, so we were 3+ hours of freeway driving, according to the nav. system, from our destination. I always set my cruise 5 mph over the posted limit. And averaged a respectable 7.8 MPG that I calculated. The MPG displayed on the instrument cluster was 7.3. That was with a lot of stop and go traffic since the 3+ hour drive ended up being a little over 6.

On the return voyage, I kept the cruise set right on the posted limit. The results were 7.7 calculated and 7.1 on the instrument cluster. Not dramatically different from the way I normally drive on freeways.

So your over due

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Larger diameter tires will give you a higher net axle ratio not lower. Your new net axle ratio will be 3.11 not 3.43.

Larger diameter tires will give you a higher net axle ratio not lower. Your new net axle ratio will be 3.11 not 3.43.

We tow our NT23RBS with a 2001 Dodge 2500 cummings diesel 5.9 , last time we thru Bend I was amazed how big it was last time b-4 that was in the 70s.