Trailer damaged by fork lift move failure

porthole

Retired
Not really sure what section to put this in. Several notable things in this video - the first being NSFW language.

Road Warrior, almost new at a dealer to get work done.

Dealer moves trailer around with a forklift, which is common.
Trailer has an Anderson Hitch adapter on the pin box
Fork lift has a failure
Trailer cap is damaged
Dealer replaces cap with a cap off of a new unit
RV owner misses that they installed the new cap without all the insulation
No discussion of the other potential damage from dropping a 5th wheel.

In a short glimpse on the video, it looks like the fork lift had a 2" tube with a ball welded to the forks and that tube weld failed.

No doubt when that lift attachment was added it was for travel trailers with none being close to the GVW of a 3 axle toy hauler, especially one that is full timed.

Extra weight, stress trying to turn a 3 axle rig etc.

So, if you have an Anderson hitch adapter, it might be wise to discuss how your trailer will be moved around at the dealer.

Lynn1130

Just had that discussion when I took mine in last week. To be safe they removed it from the pin and reinstalled when they were ready for me to pick it up.

Abear79

Very interesting!! Not sure I could have kept that calm at first. especially if the dealer would not have swapped caps. Very glad it all worked out for them.

Bones

I watch this video and my thought were in how much shock did the landing gear system take from that drop. Did they inspect the goose-neck for weld cracks?

porthole

Retired
Dave,

I've seen two trailer drops. One was only a couple of inches, don't know how much damage, didn't appear to be any.

The other was a couple of feet (Cyclone) and I would not want to have that trailer after seeing the damage

Most capable fork lift drivers only lift what is needed to move the rig.

The Cyclone was being moved by a yard truck and was substantial.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
WOW - and yes - I would be hysterical. They would've had to put me in the crazy house. Thanks for sharing.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Ours was dropped and slid into another rig and had way more damage than this. The forklift went through it? Drama... I applaud this guy for not going off the deep end and remaining calm and professional. Accidents do happen and everyone should be calm and understanding in a situation like this. Now if the dealer is not accepting responsibility, that is a different response.

Abear79

Ours was dropped and slid into another rig and had way more damage than this. The forklift went through it? Drama... I applaud this guy for not going off the deep end and remaining calm and professional. Accidents do happen and everyone should be calm and understanding in a situation like this. Now if the dealer is not accepting responsibility, that is a different response.

Agree %100, I did not hear any distress in his voice. l think I would have vomited and been sweating like it 110 on the heat index.

Bones

Dave,

I've seen two trailer drops. One was only a couple of inches, don't know how much damage, didn't appear to be any.

The other was a couple of feet (Cyclone) and I would not want to have that trailer after seeing the damage

Most capable fork lift drivers only lift what is needed to move the rig.

The Cyclone was being moved by a yard truck and was substantial.
I've seen the damage and still suffer from it.

brianlajoie

Just had that discussion when I took mine in last week. To be safe they removed it from the pin and reinstalled when they were ready for me to pick it up.

I have a super glide hitch and the plate must be removed on the trailer in order for a fork lift to be used.

CoveredWagon

Not really sure what section to put this in. Several notable things in this video - the first being NSFW language.

Road Warrior, almost new at a dealer to get work done.

So, if you have an Anderson hitch adapter, it might be wise to discuss how your trailer will be moved around at the dealer.

We we plan on using the Andersen hitch on our Bighorn when it's delivered. You can be sure I'd remove the adapter anytime I left the trailer. It is such a simple job, a couple of hand tools and a torque wrench. A 10 minute job at most, if you take a coffee break.

porthole

Retired
Super Glide shouldn't matter, as long as the cup on the fork is welded properly.

As to to any of the reverse 'ball' or goose neck adapters, a properly welded adapter 'should' be ok.
I think I would still remove the hitch adapter though.

The adapter used on the fork lift in the video looks to be about 12" long, that could really multiply the torsional load.