Mounting shelves and cabinets.

Steve3717

We have a 2016 XLT 265RK and would like to add a couple shelves or small cabinets. What is the best way to do that? Interior walls vs. exterior walls? Should I be concerned about weight? Special hardware or technique? Thanks for your input!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Where in your camper would you want to mount these shelves or cabinets?
I don't see a lot of extra wall space.
Interior or exterior wall you will want to look for wall studs to screw into for sure.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

Steve - if you're installing on an interior wall, you can push in on the wall board to find structure behind it and screw into that.

If you're hanging a small cabinet, I'd try to find structure in the wall on the left and right ends of the cabinet space and screw a board to the wall and fasten into that structure. Then hang the cabinet onto that board and fasten to it.

Cabinet makers and installer reading this may have better instruction on this. I am barely a DIYer :)

CoveredWagon

Where in your camper would you want to mount these shelves or cabinets?
I don't see a lot of extra wall space.
Interior or exterior wall you will want to look for wall studs to screw into for sure.

Peace
Dave

how do you locate wall studs, aluminum I'm assuming ?

CoveredWagon

It's likely the the stud finders that work on density will work. Also, on outside walls, on cool mornings, the wall framing is visible on the outside.

thanks, I've got a stud finder, but I'm not planning on spending time in it on cold nights. 😉 Lol