Elkridge e22

Bulldog66

We are brand new to the fifth wheel lifestyle having previously has a lance slide in. Have now taken two trips one using electrical hook up,and one using gas only , how do I get hot water?
i have checked the outside shower is off, the inside shower is not off at the shower head and the isolation valve is shut or at least I think it is . ( if anyone has a photo I can compare mine to)
the water just does not get hot Luke warm at best. I have looked at previous posts but wonder if I have done something else.
i will be honest and say I made the rookie mistake of turning on switch with the bypass valve open! But when I drained the hot water before driving back over the mountains ,the water was piping hot.
what am I doing wrong my lance had hot water and I showered in this all the time, the set up I have now it's not warm enough.
thanks for helping the rookies out!!!!

danemayer

Hi Bulldog66,

Congratulations on the new Elkridge and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

To review, when you drained it, the water was piping hot. So there was water in the tank and the heating element or gas burner worked. But at the shower, you were getting lukewarm water.

That indicates that the cold and hot are mixing somewhere. Sounds like you already checked the outside shower and turned those faucets off. Many people have found that while the shower can be off, if the faucets are open, the hot and cold will mix at the faucets, giving you lukewarm showers.

The other possibility is the bypass is still partly bypassed. Some models have a single handle bypass lever like this: Water Heater bypass valve JR Products.jpg

Others use a 3 valve setup where all 3 inline valves have to be switched. If the middle crossover valve is open, you'll get lukewarm showers. In this picture, the water heater is bypassed.
mpg water heater valves notated.jpg

If you have the single handle version, and it's in the correct position but still producing luke warm showers, you could have a stuck check valve at the hot outlet of the water heater.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Your hot water heater bypass valve is probably still open.

This is the bypass valve in our 2015 Prowler P292 (note the vertical blue and red pipe with the valve in the middle):

ProwlerWHshutoffValve-P1000759.jpg

It should be right near or in front of the water heater inside the trailer and should look like this when closed.

Bulldog66

Your hot water heater bypass valve is probably still open.

This is the bypass valve in our 2015 Prowler P292 (note the vertical blue and red pipe with the valve in the middle):

View attachment 49969

It should be right near or in front of the water heater inside the trailer and should look like this when closed.
Thanks for the picture , I need to put water in the heater and try the functions again, I think I have the bypass valve turned the right way to the off position. I will wait until the snow has left us to try it again.

Randy3911

Thanks for the picture , I need to put water in the heater and try the functions again, I think I have the bypass valve turned the right way to the off position. I will wait until the snow has left us to try it again.

Hate to hijack a thread, but I just looked at my new 30rlt set up and noticed there is a line with a valve on it and about 18" of open end hose on it. It looks like the same thing in the middle of this picture. What is that hose/valve for?

Randy

wrgrs50s

Hate to hijack a thread, but I just looked at my new 30rlt set up and noticed there is a line with a valve on it and about 18" of open end hose on it. It looks like the same thing in the middle of this picture. What is that hose/valve for?

Randy

I think that will be the winterization hose from your water pump to use for drawing antifreeze out of the gallon bottle and pumping it to your faucets.

It works like this. After you bypass your water heater, then you open the valve to the hose (with open end) and insert it into the jug of antifreeze and shut off the valve coming from the fresh water tank. When you turn your water pump on it will draw the antifreeze out of the jug and to the faucets. You have to reverse the process with all the valves when your ready to use your rig again.

Randy3911

Bingo! I believe it IS on the suction side of the pump. Thanks for your help. I just noticed it today when I was seeing if "they" had the bypass valves correct from delivery. FYI: Why do they make it so darn hard to get to the water heater bypass valves. They are behind the wall. . . . dumb place for them. I'm going to replace the screws with Velcro for easier access.

Thanks,

Randy

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Yes, that is the hose for winterizing the trailer.

ProwlerWHshutoffValve-P1000759.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It works like this. After you bypass your water heater, then you open the valve to the hose (with open end) and insert it into the jug of antifreeze and shut off the valve coming from the fresh water tank.

When you turn your water pump on it will draw the antifreeze out of the jug and to the faucets.

You have to reverse the process with all the valves when your ready to use your rig again.

I usually put 2 gallons of antifreeze in a bucket instead of pumping from the gallon jug since our water pump is in the basement of the trailer and I can't keep an eye on when the antifreeze runs out (don't want to run the pump when nothing is flowing through it).

I just became a member and can't figure out how to do my own post. Please respond if you have any ideas to my issue.
I am trying to winterize my 2015 E22, I drained the water tank, opened all faucets an drained the hot water tank and left the valve out, then I opened the panel, closed the only valve I could find and opened the hose to put antifreeze into the system but the antifreeze all goes to the hot water heater and spills out onto the ground. Is there another shut off to the hot water heater? Is my shut off valve broke? Any ideas?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello WilliamCampion1887 and welcome to this great forum. You will find a lot of great helpful people and information here.
The second post of this thread pretty much tells you what to look for when you winterize. Basically you will need two valves closed and one open, whether you do this using three valves located behind your water heater, an all in one Anderson valve or two valves located in your UDC.
Here is a link to a winterization guide that can be found in the Tools tab located in the navigation bar near the top of this page. [LINK]

Peace
Dave

Dave and all,
I have read this manual and looked all over the internet for information.
I can only find one valve that is attached to a blue water line. The only other valve is attached to the hose to put into antifreeze bucket.
I have looked under the sink and under the camper it self. I tried to up load a picture but can't seem to figure that out.
The system is inside, no basement on this model. Any members have this E22 model?

MP_CS

I just became a member and can't figure out how to do my own post. Please respond if you have any ideas to my issue.
I am trying to winterize my 2015 E22, I drained the water tank, opened all faucets an drained the hot water tank and left the valve out, then I opened the panel, closed the only valve I could find and opened the hose to put antifreeze into the system but the antifreeze all goes to the hot water heater and spills out onto the ground. Is there another shut off to the hot water heater? Is my shut off valve broke? Any ideas?

That would indicate to me that the hot water heater isn’t bypassed and all you’re antifreeze is being directed to the tank and just running out the drain plug. There should be three valves at the back of the heater that need switched as indicated in the other posts.