50 Amp cord reel

NYSUPstater

Just wanted to get folks' thoughts on this. Have thought nothing of handling our 30 A cord by hand since we've owned it. Never having a 50A cord, have no idea how much it weighs or a PITA to handle. Is it worth getting a elect reel or a manual reel? Have seen manual reels mounted in basement (streetside) and IMO takes up a lot of space/cuts down on access to basement. If elect reel, does it have provisions for manual operation should the elect side fail?

Last edited by a moderator:

rhodies1

If I was to upgrade in the future I would order the electric reel.I hate the current manual hookup on the side of the trailer,the 50 amp cord is heavy and puts strain on the wall connector,also,not sure if Heartland has changed the hook for the storage of the cord .If the hooks is still in the front compartment,you will need to bend in half to get it hooked on the hanger.I moved my hook to a side compartment for easier storage.

danemayer

I've handled a standalone 50 amp cord, but our LM has the electric reel. The reel is much easier. I would definitely buy it again.

Failures seem to be pretty rare. You don't need power to unspool it from the reel. There's been prior discussion of what to do if it failed to retract and the general conclusion is to wind it around the ladder.

Pizzaguy

There is no question the power cord reel is a " must have" option for us. We have had one on our last two and now #3 BH and never had a problem with them.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I know Jayc had an issue with their electric reel connection, it took a few guys to take it apart and wire in a new cord one day during a rally.

We have the manual reel and have a non-OEM 50amp cord from Furrion (transferred from previous rig). The cord seems to reel in fairly easily, though a little stiff in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yport

Have had 2 rigs without a reel ... ordered the reel on 2014 Big Horn and would not be without one again! Have had zero problems and it sure makes life easier ... especially if in cooler weather ... plus, that dang 50amp one is heavy!! Order the reel and you'll be ;)

porthole

Retired
Just wanted to get folks' thoughts on this. Have thought nothing of handling our 30 A cord by hand since we've owned it. Never having a 50A cord, have no idea how much it weighs or a PITA to handle. Is it worth getting a elect reel or a manual reel? Have seen manual reels mounted in basement (streetside) and IMO takes up a lot of space/cuts down on access to basement. If elect reel, does it have provisions for manual operation should the elect side fail?

Of all the things I did to our Cyclone, two items were the two best things I did, and one of those was adding the electric reel, even after being told it would not fit.

BTW, if you decide to order a reel, check to see if they still make a "Heartland specific" model.
Prior to adding the reel, I used a 30 amp cord probably 90% of the time.

No provisions to roll up if there is a failure, other then trying to wrap it up manually by spinning the reel by hand.

pegmikef

After two travel trailers with 30 Amp cords, and then having the power reel on our BH for almost four years, I would not do without it. Another bonus is you don't have to use valuable storage space to store the power cord.

Puzzled_1

Help a new guy out here... Where is this power reel mounting? What's the basic function and purpose of it? Thank you.

danemayer

Help a new guy out here... Where is this power reel mounting? What's the basic function and purpose of it? Thank you.
Instead of lugging a shore power cord around and plugging into the side or back of the trailer, the cord is unspooled from the rear corner of the rig. When it's time to pack up, a motor winds the cord back onto its spool. There's a small access panel.

The power cord reel is standard on a few models and optional on a few others.

Puzzled_1

Instead of lugging a shore power cord around and plugging into the side or back of the trailer, the cord is unspooled from the rear corner of the rig. When it's time to pack up, a motor winds the cord back onto its spool. There's a small access panel.

The power cord reel is standard on a few models and optional on a few others.

Thank you.

This site has already cost me money!!! Lol

mlpeloquin

50 amp cord real is why we got the Big Horn instead of a Big Country. If you want to loose some of your storage space, then get one for your Big country. Press a switch once in cold temperature and you will smile as your friend struggles with winding his up to be able to store it. He has a Big Country.

avvidclif

No problem with the 50A (anaconda) cord for me. It's only used/carried in the summer when temps are over 90 and we are going to a park with 50a service. Otherwise I carry a 25' 30a cord and an extension, if needed.

NYSUPstater

Thanks for the replies folks!!! Spoke w/ a sales rep and he himself would shy away from it, but will get me a price for it. He said too that the 50 amp cord only weighs 15-20 lbs (thought it was heavier than that). I asked if there was a provision or notch in the door to close door for cord while hooked to shore power and he said no (sounds odd that there wouldn't be so to keep door closed). He went onto say that there is a switch to unroll as well as roll it up, it's hardwired in and a PITA if it goes down to operate manually.

In some of the replies, some said they use 30 amp cords. If you have a 50 amp cord, is the 30 amp used just as an extension to power pole w/ 30 amp and adapters to connect that cord to the 50 amp cord? For our current coach, I have 50 to 30 adapters, 110 to 30, 30 amp surge guard and a 25' 30 amp cord which has been used a couple times. Of these items, what should I keep upon selling coach? Guess too, should I get 30 to 50 amp adapters, 110 to 50 if it exists and a new surge guard/protector? Of the 50 amp surge guards/protectors, what's the verdict on type? Some hardwire, some not. Some have lots of features, others plain Jane but do the job.

Funny thing is overall, we are getting excited about a new coach and the agony of the wait. Makes looking forward to late April and May a lot easier and can't get here soon enough. May is going to be a busy month!!!!!