Big Dealer vs Little Dealer....North Trail vs. Mallard

klp605

Not positive this is the proper place to post this.

Hoping those of you with experience and knowledge may help us. Why is it that a large dealer with greater buying power seems to want more for the same trailer with less options on it? Is this typical? Don't want to waste time trying to negotiate if this is to be expected.

Exact same models. Built on the exact same line. However, the North Trail 32BUDS Caliber has stainless steel sinks, solid surface counter tops, hidden hinges, porcelain toilet, 27" TV, electric tongue jack, and flip up storage tray.

The Mallard M32 has an outside door for the bathroom (which we really want with the kids and our son's medical conditions). And dealer is closer.

If the NT 33BUDS Caliber wasn't 1,000 pounds heavier, we would pull the plug and purchase it as the cost is just under the M32.

Pizzaguy

My experience has been that the smaller dealer is best. Smaller dealer has always given us the best price and service. Larger dealer has a lot more overhead and has to pay for that somehow.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I believe the Mallard is produced by Heartland specifically for sale at Camping World. I would move back into a tent before buying anything there. We had a Northtrail for a couple of years and loved it. Well built unit. You can get a NT 31BHDD with the rear door to the bathroom that you want.

danemayer

Why is it that a large dealer with greater buying power seems to want more for the same trailer with less options on it? Is this typical? Don't want to waste time trying to negotiate if this is to be expected.

The larger chain dealer has enough buying power to negotiate a customized version of an existing Heartland product, putting the exclusive Mallard brand name on it.

With the base product, if you want to shop the same model at various dealerships, and are willing to travel, you may have some negotiating leverage.

With the derivative product being exclusive, the only apples-to-apples competitive bid would be from another location within the dealer chain. And their HQ probably doesn't want their locations competing with one another.

So your only negotiating tool is to use a competitive bid on the base product, even though it's not quite apples-to-apples.

avvidclif

Comparing on Heartland's website: The NT is top of the line and M is 2 down. Both have same GVWR. NT is 13" longer. The bathroom door is nice but so is a cabinet in the bathroom. One or the other. While comparing realize the 2018's are due out next month and those are going to be a year old model.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Has anyone that owns a Mallard tried to have it serviced anywhere other than Camping World? I wonder if there would be pushback from other dealers on that. I've not heard good things about CW service. North Trail is a great trailer.

I think I'd check out the service side of things before deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klp605

While comparing realize the 2018's are due out next month and those are going to be a year old model.

The fact the 2017 value will drop when the 2018's hit the lot? There isn't much information available on the effects on price that I have been able to find. I did speak with Heartland who stated there will be no differences in the models.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'd check out the service side of things before deciding. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our, technically our sons, current TT is from CW through Make a Wish. Our only warranty issue has been Dutchmen denying their really pathetic quality of work. Otherwise, CW has been decent. They are also closer to us then any of the North Trail dealers. The NT dealer we would purchase from has positive reviews.

MallardHead

Has anyone that owns a Mallard tried to have it serviced anywhere other than Camping World? I wonder if there would be pushback from other dealers on that. I've not heard good things about CW service. North Trail is a great trailer.

I think I'd check out the service side of things before deciding.

I own a Mallard M32.... I am gonna have it serviced and any other warranty work done at a local rv service center... they called and heartland told them it was cook, I don't think or should I say you shouldn't be stuck with camping world for service just because the unit is made for them

Kevin & Kandy Jones
HOC Member #3501
2017 Mallard M32

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I own a Mallard M32.... I am gonna have it serviced and any other warranty work done at a local rv service center... they called and heartland told them it was cook, I don't think or should I say you shouldn't be stuck with camping world for service just because the unit is made for them

Kevin & Kandy Jones
HOC Member #3501
2017 Mallard M32

Good to hear! Yes Heartland should be able to authorize service elsewhere. But I have heard of dealers refusing to work on units not bought from them. Sadly, RV dealers are not like car dealers. They can pick and choose what type of rvs they sell and service.

Mattman

I was looking at Camping world and the local dealer when I bought my NT. CW advertised the same NT at a lower price. I think when I called the dealer by the time they added taxes and fees it was pretty close. The big difference was what they have me on trade in. Night and day. Plus the local dealer took care of me right away when I thought I had problem with the brakes. It was my controller. Not there. Still no charge.

I never went inside the mallad, but to me the pictures looked toned down to the NT. Mine is not a Caliber. But I like the interior of the NT more.