ATF: Landmark - Water leak in shower area

dana22

I need a quick answer!!! Is there a panel in the bedroom area to access the plumbing to the shower in a 2016 Landmark Ashland? We noticed a partition difference in the wall.

We accessed the plumbing through the wall panel. The leak was from one of the 2 extra lines that aren't meant for the Ashland at all. I guess they are for the 1/2 bath in other models. Why do they include these lines in this unit especially when we specially ordered this Ashland and they know there is no 1/2 bath????

Last edited:

SNOKING

I need a quick answer!!! Is there a panel in the bedroom area to access the plumbing to the shower in a 2016 Landmark Ashland? We noticed a partition difference in the wall.

We accessed the plumbing through the wall panel. The leak was from one of the 2 extra lines that aren't meant for the Ashland at all. I guess they are for the 1/2 bath in other models. Why do they include these lines in this unit especially when we specially ordered this Ashland and they know there is no 1/2 bath????

Sure it is not the lines to the vacuum break in the black tank flush? Chris

jbeletti

I agree with Chris here. The 2 extra lines behind the shower are likely the in and out lines to the atmospheric vacuum breaker up in the wall. That device is mandated by RVIA code to be in the line of the black tank flush system.

danemayer

This picture is from a Bighorn, so the placement might not be the same as on your Ashland, but it shows the vacuum breaker and the extra Pex lines next to the hot and cold shower Pex lines.

Attachments

• BH Black Tank Flush Anti Siphon Annotated.jpg
    BH Black Tank Flush Anti Siphon Annotated.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 124

dana22

I agree with Chris here. The 2 extra lines behind the shower are likely the in and out lines to the atmospheric vacuum breaker up in the wall. That device is mandated by RVIA code to be in the line of the black tank flush system.

Can this thing be done away with since everything is vented through the roof anyway???

ksucats

The vacuum break is for the water line - I call it a backflow preventer valve. There have been posts indicating that this valve has failed (leaked) - it doesn't answer the OP question of a panel to get to it though. I have a Key West so I can't help with that question - sorry.

rxbristol

The backflow preventer will leak if it was installed backwards and the cheap plastic ones are also known to leak (mine did). The leak will happen when the black tank flush is used. If it was installed backwards, you'll get water running everywhere, otherwise if it's just a bad unit, you'll get dripping to a small stream of water. You'll want to replace yours with a Watts 1/2 inch version.

Last edited:

SNOKING

The cheap plastic vacuum break leaked the first time used in our previous SOB trailer. On the new Bighorn I installed an inline "hose" shutoff valve at the inlet in the docking station and went into the ZOO/dungeon and cut the lines to the vacuum break and bypassed it. I leave the flush hose hooked up, however I turn off the facet, the Y to the hose and the trailer end of the hose. Neighbor behind us had the park maintenance crew replace the leaking stand pipe and the turned on both hoses and left. 10-15 minutes later their trailer flooded with brown "stuff"! Expensive clean up and they are finally taking the trailer in this coming week to get new carpet installed.

These valves should be installed in a 4 or 6" pipe that is open to the ground under the trailer and capped up inside the trailer. Just to many reports of failures. In our cause the converter and HW surge protector are under the area of the vacuum break. I just was not going to take a chance.

Chris

danemayer

I believe the purpose of the valve is to prevent contamination in the case where water pressure at the campground faucet goes negative while using the black tank flush. If you've ever noticed a drop in water flow at a campground, it's probably due to a lot of people using their showers or other water system components at the same time. If demand increases further, in some circumstances, water flow could reverse at some sites.

If you bypass the valve, you really need something that prevents reverse flow of black water back into the campground water system.

Bogie

Dan hit it on the nose. The back flow preventer is there to prevent contamination of the supply water system.

danemayer

I think water normally drains out of the assembly after use, so as long as that happens, winterizing it might be unnecessary. But I've often wondered is whether there's a relationship between cold weather and leaking vacuum breaker assemblies. It does seem like many of these leaking valves show up after the rig is de-winterized.

It makes me wonder if maybe the valves are retaining some water that then freezes over the winter, causing damage.

If you use antifreeze to winterize, the black tank flush doesn't get any antifreeze by way of the water pump unless you run a hose between outside shower and black tank flush - and there probably aren't many people doing that. If you use compressed air, you have to remember to hook up to and blow out the black tank flush as a separate step.

SNOKING

Water and brown stuff runs down hill! The vacuum break is way above the black tank. I do not think water will stay in the line on either side of the "hump" it forms in the loop, as long as there is not a hose on the input side that is shutoff at the faucet. Chris

jbeletti

I think water normally drains out of the assembly after use, so as long as that happens, winterizing it might be unnecessary. But I've often wondered is whether there's a relationship between cold weather and leaking vacuum breaker assemblies. It does seem like many of these leaking valves show up after the rig is de-winterized.
I have always used compressed air to winterize my black tank flush system as a "just in case". And like you - I too have wondered if water gets trapped in the vacuum breaker.

paulh

After replacing my original backflow device (which also leaked) with a new watts brass device I now winterize it with antifreeze from the outside shower through a short hose to the black tank flush inlet. I've not had any more problems.