Weather Guard - 2015 North Trail

jbraum

I'm looking at a 2015 North Trail and notice the Weather Guard sticker on the side.

http://rv.campingworld.com/rv/1361644

Could someone tell me if that's a protective coating on the outer skin or is does it have something to do with a thermal pkg. Also does anyone know if this model comes with heated and enclosed underside? Try to find this out from the dealers is like pulling teeth.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi jbraum,

The current 2017 North Trail 24BHS is probably very similar and the spec sheet on the HeartlandRVs.com website shows that it has a heated and enclosed underbelly. Here's a link. Scroll down to find standard features and options.

I'm not positive about the Weather Guard sticker, but it's probably a marketing term that means that you should be comfortable inside in inclement weather. The insulation values suggest to me that this is a 3 season camper. If you're planning on winter use, you should plan on using lots of propane and perhaps some supplemental electric heat. And you may have to do extra things to keep the water running in temps more than a few degrees below freezing.

If Weather Guard turns out to be something that a dealer applied, don't bother paying anything extra for it.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Here is the quote from the article on North trail article that is basically referring to the weather guard "features"
"Heartland is very proud of the North Trail’s construction details, which include a fully enclosed underbelly with heated holding tanks and gate valves, laminated/insulated floor and roof, 2-inch laminated side walls and insulated slideout rooms. In fact, Heartland maintains that the North Trail has been “comfort tested” at extremes ranging from 0 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit and is backed by an All Season Warranty"

https://www.heartlandrvs.com/compon...s-events/305-heartland-north-trail?Itemid=680

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Silverado23, have you had the chance to use your 2106 North Trail in cold weather?

Thanks!

I frequently go starting Early March through early November.

in 2015 I went once in December.

My typical rule of thumb is daytime highs 40F's lows to around 15F.
I can camp in colder weather but don't usually try to.
Most of the waterlines are interior to the coach so that is usually not an issue.

I installed a heat strip in my 2nd A/C and that does most of the heating. I do run the furnace regularly to help keep the tanks from freezing.
It's main purpose is to reduce propane costs with heat. A space heater would do the same thing but take up floor space.

I can say that the furnace does keep up fine in cold weather. My previous NT only had 1 A/C unit no heat strip and it was primarily heated with propane without issues.
My old NT had a similar floorplan but the new one has a 2nd slide-out.

Domi

I agree with those numbers. We don't like to go to much colder than that because it seems to take a lot of propane to keep warm. We spent last Thanksgiving in Holyoke, Co and did not have any problems at all. In fact snow forced us to stop more than cold.

Not sure I would like to go to or below zero but if we had to I think the trailer would do it. Might take some skirting and what not but it would be liveable.

John