ATF: Big Country - Protruberance under rubber roof

Lozza

Hi, I have a 2012 Big Country 3250.

I believe it has a TPO rubber roof,along the the length of the Fifth wheeler on the roof edge it is curved and I think the curved edge is aluminium under the rubber.

I periodically clean and treat the rubber roof,I have noticed since new a screw or staple pushing up under the rubber roof the screw or staple appears to be used to attach the aluminium curved edge,it is where the ply meets the curved edge.

I have in the past just pushed what ever is protruding back in as it was quite loose,however now it doesn't want easily push back in,it's pushing up hard under the rubber however hasn't cut the rubber as yet.

My question what could it be that is protruding are they staples or screws?
Do I leave it or do I risk tapping it back in and risk penetrating the rubber roof,I do have Dicor sealant and Eternabond.

I can't just take this to a Dealer as I live in Australia,and very few repairs facility's have rubber roof knowledge.

Kind regards

Laurie Wadman.

Garypowell

I would make a small cut in rubber and then extract the screw.....or whatever it is. Then seal the cut.

One screw is is not going to make any difference. But if it pushes through between your cleanings, and starts to leak, it will make a big difference.

Then in just keep an eye on the patch.

danemayer

I agree. Make as small as possible a cut to remove the screw/staple and then cover with an Eternabond patch. Eternabond will bond to the roof and last the life of the roof.

By the way, I think Heartland uses Dicor EPDM roofing.

Lozza

I agree. Make as small as possible a cut to remove the screw/staple and then cover with an Eternabond patch. Eternabond will bond to the roof and last the life of the roof.

By the way, I think Heartland uses Dicor EPDM roofing.

Yes that was my thoughts,making a small cut and using Eternabond.

re the rubber roof,not sure what it is,it's not the smooth soft surface commonly seen,it has more of a texture.
so when I looked up on the Internet some time ago,Heartland when they started using coloured rubber did use TPO for a while,my roof is a light Tan colour,however my information maybe wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

I would make a small cut in rubber and then extract the screw.....or whatever it is. Then seal the cut.

One screw is is not going to make any difference. But if it pushes through between your cleanings, and starts to leak, it will make a big difference.

Then in just keep an eye on the patch.

Yes Gary my thoughts exactly I don't see any other way around it,if I don't extract what ever it is,it could pop through and cause all sorts of problems,I just don't like the thought of cutting the rubber.

I will try to push it back in before I cut if it goes back in good,I will still put a small patch of Eternabond over the top it.

jbeletti

Laurie - from your description, I'd say you do have a TPO roof. I had a TPO roof on a Landmark around the same model year as yours. To my knowledge, we're back to using EPDM in plant 2 (LM/BH/BC)

Lozza

Laurie - from your description, I'd say you do have a TPO roof. I had a TPO roof on a Landmark around the same model year as yours. To my knowledge, we're back to using EPDM in plant 2 (LM/BH/BC)

Hi Jim,

what would be your recommendation be other than peeling back the rubber which isn't feasible in this situation.
would you attempt at tapping back in the fixture,and if it penetrates use Eternbond?

regards Laurie Wadman.

jbeletti

Hi Jim,

what would be your recommendation be other than peeling back the rubber which isn't feasible in this situation.
would you attempt at tapping back in the fixture,and if it penetrates use Eternbond?

regards Laurie Wadman.
Sorry Laurie - I have no suggestion here as I have no experience with this sort of matter. I do think you're getting good advice from other owners here. And you might just want to grab the phone and call Customer Service to discuss - 877-262-8032.

Lozza

Sorry Laurie - I have no suggestion here as I have no experience with this sort of matter. I do think you're getting good advice from other owners here. And you might just want to grab the phone and call Customer Service to discuss - 877-262-8032.

Thanks I contacted customer service, basically it's a common occurrence staples that hold the curved flashing popping up,not to be concerned,they suggested not to penetrate the rubber roof but for me to keep my eye on it.

Regards Laurie Wadman,

Down Under.