Under dinette storage - add drawers

PeterS

Hi Heartland designers.

The three storage compartments under the dinette table in our M32 are certainly welcome storage. However we would like to see drawers or doors added to the right and left side for easier access.

Currently each side involves removing three cushions and then lift the plywood top. That is a lot of steps to get to something and then having to reverse all four steps.

Food for thought :)

klp605

Would the cupboard doors above the kitchen sink work in regards to size? Think those may be too big. Could always also look at other Mallard models for the needed door size.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The dinette in our Prowler can be accessed from above by moving the cushions, but also has cabinet doors on the end.

I removed one of the doors and made a bedroom for our cats . . . they love it!

ProwlerSpicyInDinette-P1020472.jpg ProwlerDinette-P1010564.jpg
Spicy thinks she owns the place :cool:

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
I have the same type aggravation in my NT. I looked at the structure and plan on removing some wood, adding stronger supports, and cutting holes for & installing 3 doors. I will either make my own doors or order from Lowes/Home depot. Nice project to keep out of trouble!:cool:

PeterS

Would the cupboard doors above the kitchen sink work in regards to size? Think those may be too big. Could always also look at other Mallard models for the needed door size.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Measured yesterday after some other updates...

The kitchen cabinet doors are the smallest ones in the M32 - measuring ~15x15".

Any doors for under dinette storage would need to be smaller, about ~12x13" max IMO.

Cheers.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
OP:

I did just what you want to do in my '02 Wildcat for the same reason of not wanting to remove the cushions each time I needed to access them. The structural part isn't that difficult, but you need to determine the weight you plan on putting on the wood structural components and then find drawer glides that are rated to handle that weight. I didn't even find locating drawer fronts so hard. One big thing is to figure out what system you will use to keep the drawer and it's contents closed securely.

I no longer own that trailer, but I recall that the items I kept in there were pretty heavy, so I had to get "heavy duty" drawer slides. Sorry, I can't remember what latching mechanism i used to keep the drawer shut during transport, but it was not visible once the drawer was closed.

You can get pretty much everything at Lowe's, Menards, or Home Depot.

Oregon_Camper

I had that issue on our prior trailer...just built two LOOOONG drawers and got huge accolades from my wife.

Great way to recover basically lost space.

I added the wooden bar in the middle, as the drawer was so long, I wanted another place to grab to continue pulling it out.

Capture.JPG

klp605

Any doors for under dinette storage would need to be smaller, about ~12x13" max IMO.

Cheers.

Thank you. I will be at CW tomorrow and will go check out some other units to see if there are any doors around that size. I'm sure we could craft something on our own, it is getting it done.

klp605

Cheers.

PeterS, between 5 or 6 different models, all the door sizes are are the same. There is only a handful of various doors used through out them. I forgot to check the bathroom cabinets though. The drawer front in the kitchen area is the smallest I found, but it is 14".

jsrigler

The lack of easy access to under dinette storage almost kept us from buying our 2017 Mallard M27! Glad to see all the creative ideas for adding a long drawer.