2017 Big Country 3650RL

ctwebb

Hi All, I am new to this site and looking to purchase a new 3650RL, I have never owned a heartland product before, We have sob now and looking to upgrade the 5ver.Are there any issues I need to be aware of with the new Big Country brands? The unit I am looking at has the 6 point level up , dual whisper quiet air and res fridge. Any advice would be helpfull.
Thank you n advance
Chris

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The Big Country brand has been around a long time (since 2009, I think?)

They are assembled in the same plant as BigHorn and Landmark. Most of the construction is very similar with these brands with the main difference being decor, features, and options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gipsowh

We purchased a 2017 Big Country 3650 RL in Dec. '16 (after nearly 2 years of looking) and to date its been relatively trouble free. This being our first 5th wheel we have gone thru a few "growing pains". Our paradigm for the last several years has been a 6 person tent! Since the big purchase we've taken 2 short shakedown trips and can report that there have been no mechanical problems to speak of.

I tow with a '16 RAM 3500 SRW CrewCab diesel with a B&W turnover ball and Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. Loaded with all our stuff we are just under all of the legal weight restrictions for truck and combined weights for truck/trailer. We are not close to the GWR for the trailer. While tallying weight of truck and trailer isn't brand specific, just be mindful that published weights are let's say optimistic, and whatever tow vehicle you have be sure to have a built in margin to take care of a heavier than planned trailer weight and the stuff you have to carry. Overloading your tow vehicle is a real issue.

Also, be mindful of the license you must have (to be legal) to tow a heavy trailer like the Big Country. In Texas you are required to have a Class A non-commercial drivers license if your combined truck GVWR and trailer GVWR is over 26001 lbs and your trailer weight is over 10,000 lbs. This involves a written and a driving test. I had my trailer with all the stuff in it and truck with wife and dog weighed at the Escapees Smart-weigh scales so I knew we were at about 27,000 lbs. Yesterday, I passed the final test, the driving test, so this is fresh on my mind. Been amazed that many people don't know the requirement for a Class A license and are unknowingly breaking the law.

While none of this is brand related and being a newbee at this 5th wheel business, please know our experience with the Big Country so far has been very satisfactory. The dealer has taken care of the few issues with the trailer very efficiently, the sales manager was great answering all our questions. The whole experience to date has been very pleasant and professional. Hope yours is too. Bill Gipson

david5311

We purchased a 2017 Big Country 3650 RL in Dec. '16 (after nearly 2 years of looking) and to date its been relatively trouble free. This being our first 5th wheel we have gone thru a few "growing pains". Our paradigm for the last several years has been a 6 person tent! Since the big purchase we've taken 2 short shakedown trips and can report that there have been no mechanical problems to speak of.

I tow with a '16 RAM 3500 SRW CrewCab diesel with a B&W turnover ball and Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. Loaded with all our stuff we are just under all of the legal weight restrictions for truck and combined weights for truck/trailer. We are not close to the GWR for the trailer. While tallying weight of truck and trailer isn't brand specific, just be mindful that published weights are let's say optimistic, and whatever tow vehicle you have be sure to have a built in margin to take care of a heavier than planned trailer weight and the stuff you have to carry. Overloading your tow vehicle is a real issue.

Also, be mindful of the license you must have (to be legal) to tow a heavy trailer like the Big Country. In Texas you are required to have a Class A non-commercial drivers license if your combined truck GVWR and trailer GVWR is over 26001 lbs and your trailer weight is over 10,000 lbs. This involves a written and a driving test. I had my trailer with all the stuff in it and truck with wife and dog weighed at the Escapees Smart-weigh scales so I knew we were at about 27,000 lbs. Yesterday, I passed the final test, the driving test, so this is fresh on my mind. Been amazed that many people don't know the requirement for a Class A license and are unknowingly breaking the law.

While none of this is brand related and being a newbee at this 5th wheel business, please know our experience with the Big Country so far has been very satisfactory. The dealer has taken care of the few issues with the trailer very efficiently, the sales manager was great answering all our questions. The whole experience to date has been very pleasant and professional. Hope yours is too. Bill Gipson

Do you know if you you are compliant with the state law you are in and travel to another state that requires a class a license, are you legal in that state? i have a class A CDL but do not have a medical card so only good for intrastate. I have to renew my license this month. May just go get my medical card just in case.

We just ordered a Big Country 3650rl and are told it will be a 2018 if you are planning on ordering one. We will be pulling with a 2015 Chevy 3500 diesel SRW. We just received our Anderson hitch but have not inboxed it yet. We will not be full timing but will be doing a little traveling in other states.
David

NYSUPstater

dave53,

If I was a bettin' man, you are legal in the state in which you are licensed and trailer reg in. That's my opinion anyways. Sort of like if you live in a state which allows window tinting and travel to another state in which it's not, I don't see how the non window tint state could ticket you for having it on there when you are reg/lic in another state that allows it. Guess they could cite you, but end up getting tossed out. What do others say on this subject?