Big country rear hitch

firemailwv

We traded for a new team mega cab dually and needed to find a new place to haul the bikes rather than in the front of the bed as we did in our old long bed. Did a lot of researching to try and find a suitable hitch for the rear. I called and spoke to Lippert and almost bought their boat hitch to weld on the rear I beams. But after considering the cost of buying it and shipping in addition to then having to get it welded on,I decided to reach out to a local fabrication shop to make me one and install it as well. We discussed a few different designs and settled on the below. I think it looks fantastic and he only charged me $400 for material and labor.
7054d6a83feeaa471883059ccf3b7497.jpg
15ad3d39632373a646e6a601d333eb62.jpg
879ade1711683aa361d1b22d2b449d79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bob Vaughn

I had my frame extended and reinforced so my 2 x 2 receiver would would not fall off. A bolt on one ripped the bolts out of the frame. It cost 500 bucks to have mine done as the guy came to my home in did it in my yard....

Nuclearcowboy

Our RV dealer put a 2" receiver hitch on our unit just like firemailwv did. Did a fantastic job and was $450

milandm

We just installed a hitch receiver, but unlike the ones I saw on this thread, we could only install it to what looks like very thin 'C' braces that are welded to the frame. Not very confident how strong the welds would hold.

20170923_000120808_i_OS.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

sengli

Not all fifth wheels have this, but our rig with the hitch on the back has a bounce as it goes down the road.... that gets amplified the faster we go. It literally shook our bikes off when we first bought our bighorn new, withing 40 miles. Tried having that hitch re-enforced with more steel, and welds..same result. Tried several other bike racks, and even more aggressive tie downs. Again our bikes wouldnt stay.

So I bought a curt 2' receiver for the front of the truck. Easy on and off and the bikes dont even move, never have in the last two years of travel. FYI every bike rack we ever came across, usually in fine print states that if you use on the back of an RV...the warranty is void.

Attachments

• IMAG0272.jpg
    IMAG0272.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 42

'Lil Guy'

We just installed a hitch receiver, but unlike the ones I saw on this thread, we could only install it to what looks like very thin 'C' braces that are welded to the frame. Not very confident how strong the welds would hold.

[/URL][/IMG]

You now have no hitch to speak of. Those 1/8 channels won't hold anything. You need to get it attached to the frame itself. Certainly someone else will back me on this. Again, if the pic shows where you're mounting it, you've got a problem and accident waiting to happen.

rnewk52

[/URL][/IMG]
Sure looks like it hangs down a long ways. Seems pretty easy to be torn off on a minor dip or incline.

jimtoo

I think it's mounted to low, not enough ground clearance. I would be afraid of any dips.

Jim M

Bob Vaughn

I had a welder come to my home and reinforce my rear Frame and make and install a 2 inch receiver . It cost me 500 bucks but the reinforcing of my frame is not going any where and with the cargo carrier that the bikes or the generator sit on are not going any where. I think the weight ratings of a lot of these bolt on hitches are static and when they are subject to vibrations of going down the road are about 1/4 of the stated weight rating.....So for piece of mind the 500 dollars and 4 hours of time spent doing it, it was well worth it.....When I was getting disk brakes put on my BC I had the hitch shop put a front hitch on my truck......When we take the grandkids camping 3 bikes go on the back of the camper and the 2 adult bikes go on the front of the truck.....