roadway paint overspray

tspearcy

Buddy Bear's Mom and Dad
Hi folks ! Need your help !

We believe we have picked up a slight amount of yellow highway striping that was wet. It is located just after the wheel well on the slide gelcoat. We've tried everything we can think of including: rubbing compound (dealer did that !); simple green; JiJi; bleach; denatured alcohol and lighter fluid, etc.

Any ideas ?

Tom & Sandy :rolleyes:

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Only thing that comes to mind is MEK or Methyl Ethyl Ketone. We use it in the showers to remove things that get stuck on the floors of the showers. I would try it on a small area first before putting it on a big area to make sure it does not damage the finish. I also have used Easy Off oven cleaner to remove some types of paint from my Goldwing and it works pretty well.

Don

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
If the paint is applied to the pavement by heat, similar to powdercoating, then there may not be a solvent available to remove it from the gelcoat

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I would try Lacquer Thinner in an inconspicuous spot to see how it works and if there are any adverse effects. I use it often for hard to remove paint and adhesive and if done with care it may work.

BJ'sDad

If you can find it in a hardware store, try the Industrial Strength Goof Off aerosol. It's a bit stronger than Goo Gone, but not as harsh as laquer thinner IMO.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
If your DW uses finger nail polish , try her liquid nail polish remover. It contains acetone good paint remover or buy a small can of acetone. Its like everything else mentioned try it in an area that can't be seen first in case of an adverse action to the paint that's on there.....Kenny

tspearcy

Buddy Bear's Mom and Dad
Thanks a bunch

Tom & I continue to try all suggestions in an inconspicious spot . . . the goo gone seemed to adversely affect the finish so we won't be using that! Keep the idea coming . . . we appreciate all the help.

Tom & Sandy:)

StevieWonder

MEK and acetone (nail polish remover) are pretty harsh stuff to work with on fiberglass.

I'd VERY CAREFULLY use a hair dryer to heat the area and then try WD-40 (essentially kerosene) continuing to use the hair dryer and allowing the WD-40 to saturate and soak the area. Then try a nylon-webbed sponge (bug remover). I would highly recommend NOT using Scotchbrite unless you want to do some fiberglass/gelcoat work when you're done. Just be patient. Quick fixes are much more likely to cause damage. Again, be VERY CAREFUL with the hair dryer. You just want to WARM the area, NOT cook it.

AS7074

Gulfstream IV
I second the WD-40. That stuff will take rust off a bumper. Be EXTREAMLY CAREFUL with MEK. I have witnessed the complete removal of paint off a section of a 22 million dollar Jet. NOT good. But with great care MEK would work.