Fix my own screen door.

rono

Here are some pics of my mod for the screen door. The bottom and middle pieces are stationary right now. They fit into inside groove of the door. The top glass is removable. It barley fits the groove on the sides but fits into the groove at top and ledge at bottom. For the bottom glass the top and bottom are held in into the ledge using Velcro. For the top glass the bottom is held in place on the ledge using Velcro too. I then put EDPM on the ledge between the grooves on the top to help seal it. I used acrylic glass for everything. Hopefully the Velcro will hold everything in place
IMG_0492.jpgIMG_0493.jpgIMG_0494.jpgIMG_0496.jpg

jbeletti

Looking good rono. I've done this many times and will need to do it again soon. I never look forward to it but we sure get a lot of use out of it. Now I need to find someone who wants to split the cost of a sheet of gray plexi.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Looking good rono. I've done this many times and will need to do it again soon. I never look forward to it but we sure get a lot of use out of it. Now I need to find someone who wants to split the cost of a sheet of gray plexi.

How much is it, Jim? Interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

How much is it, Jim? Interested!
I don't know Erika. Kevin Wolbeck handled the procurement and I split the cost with him 2 years ago. Just can't remember the cost.

I'm sure it's gotta be available somewhere in the Elkhart area. Once I know the thickness and color I need, I will start looking for a source. It's more cost efficient to go with a 4x8 sheet and share the cost. Kevin was able to contract with the supplier (Knoxville, TN) to cut all the pieces.

About all we had to do was cut the radius corners, remove our doors, take them apart, insert the pieces and reassemble. In our cases, we inserted the large, top panel and the tiny panel to the left of the slider, into the grooves in the door frame.

The bottom panel, we put in place after the door was reassembled. We did this in case we wanted to remove the bottom plexi for airflow. I haven't removed mine in 2 years. I will likely make it non-removable this time.

jbeletti

Okay - answered some of my own questions by looking at my Mod post - link. So now I know the brand, color and part number. Should be able to get a price now :) Or when I get time to research it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Okay - answered some of my own questions by looking at my Mod post - link. So now I know the brand, color and part number. Should be able to get a price now :) Or when I get time to research it.

If you end up doing this during pre-rally in Goshen, maybe we can work a deal. If not, no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

If you end up doing this during pre-rally in Goshen, maybe we can work a deal. If not, no worries.
Found a local supplier and getting quote for 3 cut to order pieces. I'll let you know the cost. I went into my mod thread linked in previous post and added a PDF of the bill from the full sheet that Kevin bought us.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We had gone down to Home Depot and had bought regular Plexiglass which we had installed about a year before I wanted it tinted. Took the door off the camper and took it down to the local auto window tinting place. They put one shade darker than legal tinting on which we love.

jbeletti

I was able to find a local (Colorado Springs) glass shop that can obtain and cut the pieces I need. Erika and I may go in on a full sheet to have the 3 pieces we each need (top, bottom and left of slider). The local guy will supply and cut all 6 pieces for $154.54 (includes tax and cc processing fee). Not bad. All I will need to do is cut my radiuses.

rono

My local glass shop cut the radius for me for 6.50 a cut. It was a 3 1/2 radius. But I made a cardboard template from door for them to use.

jbeletti

My local glass shop cut the radius for me for 6.50 a cut. It was a 3 1/2 radius. But I made a cardboard template from door for them to use.
I have my own template and just might take it with me to see if they'd go easy on me.

NHCelt

Nice looking job!
I've done a couple of these, and have found that the lazy way is to use a company that will cut to size, radius corners and ship the pieces.

I used this company and they were great;

http://www.eplastics.com/how-to-order

Costs a bit more but nice and easy! I measured mine just big enough to "bend" into the channels in the door.