Putting diesel fuel in Toy Hauler tank.

Rawhide

I have a cyclone 3611 toy hauler. It has 2 fuel tanks, 20 & 30 gal. My truck only has a 24 gal tank. I'm thinking of putting diesel in the larger tank in case I would run low crossing west texas. Anybody see a problem with this?

jimtoo

Hi Rawhide,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some opinions from our other members soon.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

avvidclif

You might check and see if the tanks are interconnected and which one the generator runs off of. I see no reason you couldn't put diesel in one and use it for the truck and the other for the generator and toys. Myself I would use the 20 gal for diesel and save the big one for the toys and generator.

Now you have me thinking. I only have a 30 gal (no second 20) but also have the small tank on my PU but because of weight on rear axle I hesitate to add an auxiliary tank in the bed. Now I see no reason I couldn't carry my extra diesel under the rear of the RV...... A small electric fuel pump and enough 1/2" fuel line to reach the PU and I would be set....

THANKS for making me think outside the box...

schew

You most definitely cannot fill diesel in your second tank as it is connected to your generator tank. Once your generator tank is exhausted of fuel, it will automatically drawn from your fuel station.

I think RVIA regulations limits the size of fuel tanks, so to skirt this, they have installed two tanks. Essentially killing two birds with one stone by combining a fuel station.
My truck is a diesel as well and I pondered the same question you have as my f250 has a 26 gallon tank.
I plan on installing a 50 gallon Titan tank which replaces the oem tank. Best thing is my "miles to empty" can be recalibrate at the ford dealership to reflect the new capacities.
I'll have the ability to tow 500 miles at a time with the new tank.

LBR

The newer style TYs have the front 20 gallon dedicated to the genset ....no convenient way to draw that gas back out of the tank except to run thru the genset.

The 30 gallon is not connected to the 20...it is dedicated with a pump and nozzle for toys or whatever. When the 20 gets low, one just pumps from the 30 into it for more genset run time.

IronJ

One of the guys we camp with has a diesel utv and truck and uses the aux tank with pump for diesel....no issues that im aware of...its a seperate tank than genset tank...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

alwaysbusy

The newer style TYs have the front 20 gallon dedicated to the genset ....no convenient way to draw that gas back out of the tank except to run thru the genset.

The 30 gallon is not connected to the 20...it is dedicated with a pump and nozzle for toys or whatever. When the 20 gets low, one just pumps from the 30 into it for more genset run time.

LBR has it right above, this is how they are set up from the factory. The gen will not pull from the 30. I have seen some on here connect the two tanks and remember one in particular with pics posted. I see no reason why one could not fill the 30 with diesel.

schew

Oh ok, apologize for being incorrect.
Recalled reading several posts on the subject stating otherwise. Also thought the warning label on the fuel station tank reads gasoline only was a reference to the genset drawing from fuel station..

Rawhide

Thanks for the response. I'm hauling a Harley in the back so I don't need extra gas. Just for the generator. But, an extra 15 gals of diesel would be nice. Just in case.

avvidclif

Personally I don't like the idea of no way to draw fuel from the generator tank. I can see lots of stale/bad gas with that setup.

schew

Personally I don't like the idea of no way to draw fuel from the generator tank. I can see lots of stale/bad gas with that setup.

Yes I don't like the idea as well. I do use stabil in the tank, and rationalize the fact I still need gas in the tank to run my genset once a month anyway.

LBR

Agree 100%.

If I can get a 1/4" gas line fed down the generator tank fill spout into tank, then my extra 12V fuel pump with it's outlet into the 30 gallon tank is the easiest way I could think of.... Haven't tried it yet tho.