Curt hitch

travlingman

Looking at getting a Curt hitch for a new upcoming truck. For those who have one, how do you like them? Any dislikes? Would you buy another?

rdufek

I just happen to own one. It's a good hitch. It takes a little getting used to, trailer has to be at just the right height to engage locking mechanism and then you go through the same thing when unhitching. I have never had a problem with it showing locked and it not being locked. Love that it has grease fittings. The one thing that was really nice, I got it for the puck system on my 2014 Dodge, I just switched to a 2017 GMC truck with the puck system. Needless to say the Dodge puck system did not work for the GMC but for $325 I was able to switch out the sides of the hitch. It was a 4 bolt swap. Very nice to say the least. It's a solid tight hitch and their support is top notch.

travlingman

What do you mean by right height? Do you have to have pressure on the hitch or just take pressure off? Does the hitch have a good fit on the pin or does it let it move around?

LBR

I've got a Q24 and it works fine for me....No dislikes at all and I would buy another one if I had to.

I have DW adjust fifth wheel so pinbox disc is ~1/2" lower than the hitch, slide under to ka-chunk the jaws, latch, and do a tug test.

rdufek

What do you mean by right height? Do you have to have pressure on the hitch or just take pressure off? Does the hitch have a good fit on the pin or does it let it move around?

Like previous poster said, to hook-up load the hitch by being a 1/2 inch below the top of the hitch, you have to be fairly in the middle of hitch with pin for the jaws to snap in and lock. It doesn't mean you can't come in at a angle, you just can not be over too much on one side or the other on the jaws on the hitch. When unhitching, you have to be sure there is not too much weight still on the hitch or that you did not raise the trailer too high to allow the jaws to disengage. It really is a quality hitch. And, Yes, the pin has a really good fit.

sengli

Had this hitch in my chevy, and now in my RAM. Works fine for me. When hitching up, it worked flawlessly till I greased it. Now its hard to make it "lock" when cold. Ended up having to use carb cleaner to wash out the grease. So use WD-40 some other light lube on the jaw mechanism...not grease thru the installed zerks!

Attachments

• IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 49
I have the 20K Curt hitch. It is a good quality hitch, however I think a good air bag type hitch would do a much better
job of softening the ride on the coach.

Jv75353

Had this hitch in my chevy, and now in my RAM. Works fine for me. When hitching up, it worked flawlessly till I greased it. Now its hard to make it "lock" when cold. Ended up having to use carb cleaner to wash out the grease. So use WD-40 some other light lube on the jaw mechanism...not grease thru the installed zerks!
We have the Q24 hitch and have no issues with it. Would buy another if I needed one. As far as the cold weather operation change to a full synthetic grease such as Valvoline 985 available at NAPA and O'Rielly's auto parts, only $8.99 for a 14 oz tube. Works great for wheel bearings, ball joints etc, has a temperature range of -65F to +425F. Does not get thick and sticky at cold temperatures.

ncc1701e

I too have a Q20 hitch and love it. When I bought a new truck moved the hitch without an issue. I do have a question. Where did you get a safety latch bar to fit the Curt? Never had a locking issue but have always thought having the safety latch bed saver would be a nice addition.

Tom

Lynn1130

I had one and did not like it. I towed with it twice. It was difficult to get hitched and at times unhitched. It made too much noise on turns and stops/starts. I now have an Andersen Ultimate and love it. You may find a standard hitch that you like and that is fine but if you use your truck bed for purposes other than towing you will not like removing and re-installing a standard hitch at 150+ lbs. The Andersen is under 40 lbs and removes with four pins. There are several threads on here about the Andersen.

Oh, and you never have to grease an Andersen.

Jv75353

I too have a Q20 hitch and love it. When I bought a new truck moved the hitch without an issue. I do have a question. Where did you get a safety latch bar to fit the Curt? Never had a locking issue but have always thought having the safety latch bed saver would be a nice addition.

Tom
You could search for a Blue Ox model that would fit your hitch. Blue Ox discontinued making bed savers about a year ago, but many are still out there waiting for a buyer. Another possible choice would be Butch's Service, not sure if they are still making kits anymore. Their kit basically had a sliding pin and a couple of brackets that bolted to the 5th wheel head. Very simple design, around $75 and very light.

sengli

My bed saver was from butch's service. I didnt know he quit making them. Too bad, it is a nice unit. I did use a synthetic grease, and as soon as I greased it. It is hard to lock on the pin now. Called curt and they offered to replace the head no questions....I just took their advice to clean the grease out with carb cleaner.