Bedroom Mount - Only One Screw Holding Mount On Wall

Squirlee

We are getting the trailer ready for 2017 and when I was installing the TV's I noticed the top screw on the bedroom wall mount was loose. I went to tighten it and it is only in the wall panel (there is nothing behind it). QC needs a bit more tweaking on the Oakmont?

I am going to put a piece of aircraft ply over the wall to try to catch some substantial structure behind and then fasten the mount to the ply.

My question is this - what type of structure is behind the wall board? My stud finder is not finding anything and if it does there isn't anything there :)

Thanks

MCTalley

Is it an outside wall or interior wall? Outside walls should have aluminum studs at periodic intervals.

On all the rigs we've owned with a TV in the bedroom, they mounted the TV mount to a plywood backer covered in black felt-like material. The backer was, in turn, screwed into the wall into studs. (Pretty much what you are proposing to do).

Squirlee

It is an outside wall. I will have to find where the studs are somehow.

Thank you for the reply MCTalley.

mlpeloquin

You need a stud finder that also has a setting for metal studs. I own one and used it when I was checking where the studs were when drilling through the side wall for our dryer vent. Don't ever trust the area marked by the factory! You can also wait for a dewy morning. The locations of the studs are very noticeable on the exterior. Measure from an outside window and transfer to the inside.

Before doing anything you might call Heartland and have your vin number ready. They should be able to tell you if a metal plate is behind the wall like ours in the kitchen the microwave mount is screwed to. Our bedroom TV has a felt covered board that the TV mount is screwed into.