Dewinterizing Solution

Bonanza53

Getting ready to dewinterize and flush the RV antifreeze out of the lines. I heard some say to run a water/Bleach solution through the lines to get rid of any taste of the anti-freeze. Any truth to this?

We always run the water/bleach solution after we flush all the RV antifreeze out. It kills bacteria in the lines. There's a good YouTube on it from RV101 with Mark Polk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We always run the water/bleach solution after we flush all the RV antifreeze out. It kills bacteria in the lines. There's a good YouTube on it from RV101 with Mark Polk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank You.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Getting ready to dewinterize and flush the RV antifreeze out of the lines. I heard some say to run a water/Bleach solution through the lines to get rid of any taste of the anti-freeze. Any truth to this?
Hey Jamie, I've been doing this for years. I'll flush the lines then pump water and bleach making sure to open every faucet, hot and cold. Also the commode and washer hookups. I've learned if you don't do every line you will still get hints of antifreeze taste.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Just dewinterized mine . . .

Thursday I drained the anti freeze into a pail from the low point drains and the outside shower, then hooked up the hose to the city water connection and flushed out all of the lines, including the toilet.

I also flushed out the water heater separately, but left the bypass closed as I didn't want to put bleach water in the water heater.

I then ran some water into the fresh tank and let it drain out (rinse out anything that has been sitting in there all winter), then poured 3/4 of a cup of bleach into the fresh water tank and filled the tank about halfway, then poured another 3/4 cup of bleach and filled the fresh water tank until I got a little bit of spill out of the tank's over flow vents.

Then, using the water pump, I ran the bleach water to the toilet, all faucets including the outside shower (both hot and cold lines) and let it sit for about an hour, then I ran water again through all faucets and to the toilet, then let is sit over night.

Yesterday I ran more bleach water from the from the fresh water tank to all of the faucets, then drained the water lines through the low point drains and the outside shower and then let the fresh water tank drain out.

While the fresh water tank was draining, I hooked the city water back up and flushed the water lines until the bleach smell was gone, then filled and drained the fresh tank twice to rinse out the bleach.

I then put about 1/3 of a tank of water in the fresh tank, turned off the city water line, opened the cold water on the outside shower, then ran the water pump to flush the bleach out of it through the outside shower.

I also picked up a new anode rod for the hot water heater.

Camping world wants $30 for the Camco . . . I found the same one at Big R for $10.99 and the local Ace Hardware has them for $13.99.

Old and new:

AnodeRods-P4210652.jpg