Level Up Control Module Location

Randy3911

I have a new Elkridge 5th wheel and the automatic leveler is sporatic on leveling. Is the "brains" module (about 5" square and 1" thick) located in the front compartment with the battery, on the roof of the compartment? I think mine is, and it is fastened to the roof with only one screw on one side. The other side hangs down about 1/8". I think I need to screw it solid to the roof so it has a good reference to "level", and re-zero the unit after manually leveling the RV. I would call my dealer, but they are the ones who did a half baked job of replacing the first one that had trash in the line.

Thanks,

Randy

avvidclif

That's it and being loose could cause problems. It has a level sensor in the main unit and another remote sensor toward the back and if either is loose causes problems. I would screw it down tight, re-calibrate the level, and see what happens.

Randy3911

Perfect. Thanks.

Oh, and where is the remote one in the back located? I might as well check that one too while I'm crawling around under there. Under the carriage, or inside the RV?

avvidclif

I don't know on the Elkridge. Mine was on a crossmember under the garage. You may have to ask the factory where they put it. If under the coroplast I wouldn't cut it unless I knew I had a problem.

Randy3911

Good idea. I think I'll fix the front one first, since I know it's messed up, and go from there.

Thanks, Clif

Randy

Bogie

The rear sensor should be on a cross member, centered between the two main frame rails. When I installed Ground Control on mine, this is where the instructions said to place the rear sensor.

danemayer

Here's a picture from a Bighorn on the manufacturing line. The rear sensor appears to be about center left-to-right, and maybe a foot in front of the fresh water tank, above the insulation. I don't know the BH floorplan, or if the same location is used on your rig.

BH Level up rear sensor.jpg

Randy3911

Update: The level controller that was hanging down with only one side fastened is fixed. Added a screw to other side. That fixed it. Zeroed the unit and it works perfectly now.

Thanks, for the help.

Randy

Randy3911

The front storage compartment where the batteries and hydraulic pump are located. Open the hatch and look straight up. The module is bolted to the cross member.

Randy3911

Speaking of 6 Point Level Up Control. . . does the unit lose its 'zero calibration' if the battery is disconnected? Mine worked fine, and then I disconnected the battery for RV storage. When we took it out this weekend, after re-connecting the battery, when we got to the RV site I hit the Auto-Level button and it leveled. Then it went nuts and I had to manually level the RV. Is the Controller like a car battery, ie: if you disconnect it you lose all radio pre-set settings and the car computer has to relearn its settings? If so, I just need to zero the unit each time, or not disconnect the battery for storage.

Randy

danemayer

Speaking of 6 Point Level Up Control. . . does the unit lose its 'zero calibration' if the battery is disconnected?

I think the zero calibration data is stored in non-volatile memory and shouldn't be affected by removing the battery.

Randy3911

Dan,

So I called the factory and asked how far back the rear module was located from the axle, after telling the guy my exact year and model, so I could judge how far back to cut the hole in the coroplast. He said it depended on what configuration I had. . . . What??? Do they not put the cross member at the same place when they build the same model? I think they need to train their people a little better. I guess I'll start about 2 ft back and go from there.

Randy

- - - Updated - - -

Dan,

I checked around and found out the rear sensor may not be fastened correctly either, which is maybe why I keep losing zero calibration. Good Grief. . So I called the factory and asked how far back the rear module was located from the axle, after telling the guy my exact year and model, so I could judge how far back to cut the hole in the coroplast. He said it depended on what configuration I had. . . . What??? Do they not put the cross member at the same place when they build the same model? I think they need to train their people a little better. I guess I'll start about 2 ft back and go from there.

Randy

danemayer

Dan,

So I called the factory and asked how far back the rear module was located from the axle, after telling the guy my exact year and model, so I could judge how far back to cut the hole in the coroplast. He said it depended on what configuration I had. . . . What??? Do they not put the cross member at the same place when they build the same model? I think they need to train their people a little better. I guess I'll start about 2 ft back and go from there.

Randy

Randy,

Heartland has engineers and production making changes pretty continuously through the year, with major changes typically in spring and fall. The engineering records are updated, but I don't think there's any mechanism that precisely syncs up all the changes to any given VIN #. It's approximate. There's a definite reluctance to give advice on where to make cuts because they may turn out to be giving you incorrect info. And there's always the possibility that a new manufacturing worker may place things differently based on his inexperience, or perhaps because it was done differently at his last job.

I liken it to a sticks and bricks house built on site. What's the routing of the air conditioner drain pan line? Is it the same from house to house? There may be a blueprint, but who knows?

Even in the auto industry, where I think they have much more rigorous data systems and records, I notice on recalls that when notified of a recall, it may or may not apply to your vehicle. Their records seem approximate too.