Edge M22 battery disconnect

MEDEL514

The owNets manual I have is very vague on what to do with the battery when putting the TT in storage. It says that some models are equipped with a battery disconnect switch bit I can't find one so I'm guessing this model doesn't have it.

What can I do to keep the battery from discharging after a few weeks in storage? I turned off all Curcuot breakers but that didn't help. Do I have to manually disconnect thw battery every time I'm not using it?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would remove the negative (-) battery cable when in storage.
For future use you could add a battery cut-off switch.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Install a switch like the one shown below. Well worth the $20 and time to install.

https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Batte...21178&sr=8-10&keywords=battery+cut+off+switch

View attachment 51037

I've installed one of these in our BH3670, but when we had a TT, I just disconnected the battery cables. Learned the hard way on that when I went to pull it from storage and the battery was dead. The LP detector and a digital radio screen will drain it in a relatively short time.

MEDEL514

Ok thanks guys, I don't know why Heartland didn't just install one from the factoy, but it's an easy fix to my dying batteries. Thanks!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok thanks guys, I don't know why Heartland didn't just install one from the factoy, but it's an easy fix to my dying batteries. Thanks!

The lower the price of the unit, the less "features" -- many buyers don't notice these things before buying, they look for floor plan and features inside. Our first trailer, a North Trail, didn't have one. We never installed, just removed the battery when it was in storage. Our second coach, a mid-range ElkRidge fiver, didn't have one. We added one ourselves. We still removed the battery when in storage for long periods. Our third, a Big Country, an entry-level luxury fiver, has a battery cut-off. But even it doesn't have some features the higher priced fiver lines have.

Install what you want, and enjoy! It's the only way!! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

What amp rating shoud I bet getting? I found this one cheaper, but that's probably because the amp rating is lower.

https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-701-...286476&sr=8-6&keywords=battery+cut+off+switch

I don't think Heartland installs any 12V breakers larger than 50 amps. So anything trying to draw more than 50 amps would trip a breaker pretty quickly. And even if every circuit on your buss bar was pulling maximum power at the same time, it probably couldn't exceed 150-200 amps.

MEDEL514

I don't think Heartland installs any 12V breakers larger than 50 amps. So anything trying to draw more than 50 amps would trip a breaker pretty quickly. And even if every circuit on your buss bar was pulling maximum power at the same time, it probably couldn't exceed 150-200 amps.
That's kinda where I was leaning, I thought 1200 amps seemed a bit excessive. Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:

redevil

I just picked up my trailer with two 6v batteries running in series. Which is the best place to add the battery disconnect switch? Is it still the negative terminal that I should install it?

Confused on what the difference is if installed on either the positive or negative terminals.

Thanks

redevil

Not familiar with the disconnect switch ratings I would need for two 6volt batteries in series. What should the specs be for the disconnect switch that I should be looking for?

MEDEL514

My two batteries are ran in series as well, I just put the cutocc switch in between the + off of the battery to the trailer. This will isolate both batteries from the trailer power bracket.

One thing I have noticed since the disconnect switch install is that the batteries still drain within a couple weeks. I was hoping they would keep their charge longer while disconnected. My amperage readings are still good from a Fluke multimeter, but maybe my batteries are going bad? I might look into a small solar trickle charger next...

Oregon_Camper

One thing I have noticed since the disconnect switch install is that the batteries still drain within a couple weeks. I was hoping they would keep their charge longer while disconnected. My amperage readings are still good from a Fluke multimeter, but maybe my batteries are going bad? I might look into a small solar trickle charger next...

I think you have a problem with one or both batteries. If properly disconnected, they should go a LONG LONG time without draining.

Now...a small solar panel with proper controller would really help. You just need to wire it directly to the battery and not before the cutoff switch. :cool:

MEDEL514

I think you have a problem with one or both batteries. If properly disconnected, they should go a LONG LONG time without draining.

I can't figure it out, with the switch in the off position, the only wires connected to the battery are the ground on the left side battery, and the wire connecting the two batteries together. The cutoff switch isolates the + battery wire on the right side battery from the terminal board, confirmed with a multimeter.

Oregon_Camper

I can't figure it out, with the switch in the off position, the only wires connected to the battery are the ground on the left side battery, and the wire connecting the two batteries together. The cutoff switch isolates the + battery wire on the right side battery from the terminal board, confirmed with a multimeter.

If you have the time, the next thing to try would be to completely remove them from the RV...put them on your workbench at home. Leave them separate...see which one drops (if not both).

I have gone months with my system (before solar) and the batteries were still over 90% charge. With solar, I'm at 100% everyday of the year. :)