2014 Gateway 3650BH kitchen floor not level

Psnaps

My wife and I purchased the above trailer a few weeks ago and have finally set it up in our lot. After leveling the trailer I have noticed that the floor in the kitchen is not level with the rest of the trailer. It seems to taper down passed the island toward the door. It's pretty noticeable between the island and fridge. We purchased the unit second hand so I'm not sure if it's a warranty thing or if anything can be done. Any thoughts?

thanks.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
My wife and I purchased the above trailer a few weeks ago and have finally set it up in our lot. After leveling the trailer I have noticed that the floor in the kitchen is not level with the rest of the trailer. It seems to taper down passed the island toward the door. It's pretty noticeable between the island and fridge. We purchased the unit second hand so I'm not sure if it's a warranty thing or if anything can be done. Any thoughts?

thanks.

Unless you paid for an extend warranty this would NOT be covered by a factory warranty. It's a 2014 which could have been build in 2013, so means a 3 to 4 year old RV.

LBR

Curious as to what procedure you used to level the trailer and verify it was level?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi Psnaps,

From your description, the problem is front-to-rear. If that's the case, you might take a look at the components under the slide. If the jam nut has come loose on one end of the slide, the adjustment bolt may be out of position.

Slide vertical adjustment.jpg

Psnaps

When i parked the trailer for the first time, I had just put a level inside the door and used that as a guide to level the trailer. I didnt have much time to tinker at that time as i pretty much had to drop it off and go (had rented a truck to deliver the trailer and had to head back right away). This was the first weekend that we had the slides open and had a chance to use the trailer. Seeing that i had used a level just inside to the door to level, it actually was way out of level. Its almost like that area of the floor has a crown in it. When we walked to the bunk the room, we really noticed how unlevel the entire unit was. Needless to say I had a pretty horrible sleep as the trailer was way too low on the left side. I was able to borrow a jack from a neighbour and removed the blocks under the tires from the right side and actually had to put them on the left side. This time i put the level on kitchen counter. it took a little tinkering but i was able to get it pretty level. but now as i said before, when you walk between the fridge and island, it really feels low. I put my level on this part of the floor and it is low towards the outter wall. The rest of the trailer feels ok, just this one area is where we can really notice it. I had also put my level on the rear bumper and hitch pin and its level in both locations.

Not too sure what to think now, how can there be a crown in the floor? Everything seems square...

thanks all

Psnaps

Was out camping this weekend and brought a 4' level. Here you can see that the floor is not completly flat and seems to taper down towards the kitchen slide. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_8748.jpg
    IMG_8748.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8749.jpg
    IMG_8749.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8750.jpg
    IMG_8750.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 26

danemayer

Seeing that i had used a level just inside to the door to level, it actually was way out of level. Its almost like that area of the floor has a crown in it. When we walked to the bunk the room, we really noticed how unlevel the entire unit was. Needless to say I had a pretty horrible sleep as the trailer was way too low on the left side. I was able to borrow a jack from a neighbour and removed the blocks under the tires from the right side and actually had to put them on the left side. This time i put the level on kitchen counter. it took a little tinkering but i was able to get it pretty level. but now as i said before, when you walk between the fridge and island, it really feels low. I put my level on this part of the floor and it is low towards the outter wall. The rest of the trailer feels ok, just this one area is where we can really notice it.

Seems like you're describing 2 different symptoms that are related by where you place the level when you set up the trailer. But if you manage to set the trailer up level, then you have 1 problem - the floor not being flat. And I'm assuming you're not counting the slide room flooring, just the main floor.

So first off, the issue with setting the trailer up level is usually just a matter of practice. So when discussing whether the floor has a problem, trailer setup is just a confusion factor.

If the center of the floor is crowning upward in just one area, that would be unusual. Can you feel any soft spots that might indicate water damage?

You might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They should be able to tell you how the floor is constructed on your Gateway. That might provide some clues.

Bones

Seems like you're describing 2 different symptoms that are related by where you place the level when you set up the trailer. But if you manage to set the trailer up level, then you have 1 problem - the floor not being flat. And I'm assuming you're not counting the slide room flooring, just the main floor.

So first off, the issue with setting the trailer up level is usually just a matter of practice. So when discussing whether the floor has a problem, trailer setup is just a confusion factor.

If the center of the floor is crowning upward in just one area, that would be unusual. Can you feel any soft spots that might indicate water damage?

You might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They should be able to tell you how the floor is constructed on your Gateway. That might provide some clues.

If the floor is crowning I would be looking hard at the I beams and cross supports as well

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our Prowler is that way as well, although it is along the center of the floor and tapers a little to each side.

I noticed it right away as the first time I leveled it with the level on the floor just inside the door, and when I set the level on the island it was off level.

Took me a few times to finally figure out the right spot inside the door to set the level.

I really don't think it is a warranty issue . . . but just the nature of the beast!

I have a set of outside levels that I plan to mount one day soon when I know I have it extremely level, plus I'd like to get one of those big levels to mount on the king pin.