My new truck and weights (2017 F-350)

CoChris

I did not see this specific information, so thought I would post the particulars for my truck. If there is an existing thread that this would fit in please let me know.

I just took delivery of my new truck (description below). Love it, but it is like driving a smart phone. More bells, whistles and features then I know what to do with, but I am sure have fun learning
smile.png
. These new trucks are incredible (and a big step up in capability and price from my ’95 1 ton).

One thing I had issues with (and neither dealer nor Ford could tell me specifics) was the actual weight and payload. They could only tell me the max possible payload (across all combinations (for a F-350 SRW that is 4,400#), not what my configuration would allow. So to try and help out someone else looking for this information, here are the details on my truck as delivered. Straight off of the dealer’s lot and onto a commercial scale. I will try to answer any questions you have. Good luck and I hope this helps someone else.

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat, Diesel, Long bed, Crew Cab, SRW, 4x4, spray in bed liner, no sun roof
With a full load of fuel and DEF (as delivered from the dealer J), without driver or any additional “stuff”

..............Weights across scale: .......................Axle and total weight ratings

.................................................. ........(from vehicle specific door sticker)
Front axle ...... 4,825# ................................. 5,990#
Rear Axle ....... 3,270# ................................. 7,230#
Total truck ..... 8,105# (10# higher than sum of axles) . 11,500#

Note: Tires are LT275/70x18 Load range E rated at 3,640# max at 80 PSI (max per axle of 7,280#, single rear wheels SRW)

Payload (from door sticker) 3,253#

Payload (max calculated) .. 3,245# (11,500 (GVWR) -8,105 (truck) -150 (driver – I wish!)
........................... Ford (standard?) uses 150# for driver weight, not part of “payload”
Rear axle payload available 3,960# (7,230# - 3,270#) Note: This would put vehicle OVER the GVWR of 11,500#

Sorry about the periods, I could not get the spacing to work the way I wanted it to.

Hopefully this helps others
Happy motoring

CDN

B and B
Thank you for this.

My F350 SRW 2016 Lariat FX4 short bed has CCC of 3550 lbs so this boxed frame on the 2017 does add some weight. Good figures to know. Dropping the FX 4 i would have another 80lbs payload.

ronaldc

Thank you so much for posting this information. I was confused about whether the yellow payload sticker included the driver or not. Now I know for sure.

Safe travels,

Ron

Thanks for the info. Just curious....was payload a consideration in choosing the 8' bed? From what I've read the payload is a little higher with the 6.5' bed.

We're at a new one for next year, so trying to do a lot of homework before then.

Thanks!

CoChris

Thanks for the info. Just curious....was payload a consideration in choosing the 8' bed? From what I've read the payload is a little higher with the 6.5' bed.

We're at a new one for next year, so trying to do a lot of homework before then.

Thanks!

I was having a hard time finding detailed and accurate information when I purchased my truck. That is why I posted the above info, hopefully to help others make an informed decision. I hope others will feel free to add their specific information. Ford's technical specifications (at least in the brochure I have - see table below) show's the "maximum payload" to be lower for a short bed vs a long bed for the same GVWR truck. I found it interesting that the max payload for a 4 wheel drive is higher than for a 2 wheel drive, even though I am sure the vehicle weight is heavier (should give lower payload for the same GVWR).

For an F-350, SRW 4x4 with a GVWR of 11,500# they list max (in some configuration) payload as;

Crew Cab
Short bed 3,930#
Long bed 4,440#

Super Cab
Short bed 4,100#
Long bed 4,710#

Note: These a max possible payload ratings. The weight of options (like extra insulation in a Lariat, diesel engine vs gas, etc.) will lower these numbers.
You would have to go look at the (yellow) payload sticker on actual trucks to figure out what the real payload difference (if any) would be. Payload will be

Max payload = GVWR - Vehicle weight (full of all fluids, including fuel) - 150# (driver)
The real trick is finding out what YOUR specific vehicle will weigh as you have optioned/built it.

Also, some of these numbers are for legal reasons (lower road tax/registration fess, license requirements, etc.) and some are physical limitations (lighter weight spring packs, heavier options, lower tire capacity, etc). However, my understanding is the weight limits on the trucks stickers (on drivers side door frame) are legal limits. Whether they are every checked, let along enforced is a whole different topic.

All that being said, I personally never really considered a short bed. I use the truck for a lot more than pulling a 5r and want/need the extra bed length.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to paste a picture of the 2017 Ford payload table, but could not get it to work.
I found the table in the general 2017 Ford Super Duty sales brochure on their website.

They also have a separate "Trailer Towing Selector" brochure. r5 (release 5?) dated Mar 3 on the fleet.ford site (http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/) is the most recent one I know of. I just saw they have a towing guide for the 2018 listed. I will have to go look at it, well, maybe I should not. :p

CoChris

Well, I looked (at the 2018 Tow Selector Guide). :rolleyes: Some very general towing information, but it is really just for the 2018 Transit Connect. Nothing about any of the 2018 pickups.

DW_Gray

Actually, SAE J2807 stipulates the tow weight rating with a driver and passenger both weighing 150 pounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CoChris

Actually, SAE J2807 stipulates the tow weight rating with a driver and passenger both weighing 150 pounds.

Thank you for the update. Now I know it is part of the SAE standard and includes both a a driver AND passenger. Does this apply to the payload rating also? Or just the towing calculations.

DW_Gray

Thank you for the update. Now I know it is part of the SAE standard and includes both a a driver AND passenger. Does this apply to the payload rating also? Or just the towing calculations.

J2807 does not cover payload requirements. J2807 "defines procedures and requirements to determine Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) and calculate corresponding Trailer Weight Rating (TWR) for any tow-vehicle."

Ram and Chevrolet do the best job at calculating payload. For that matter, Ram has consistently provided the best charts for need-to-know data, and they provide excellent descriptions and methodology. The standard manufacturer calculation for payload is GVWR-Curb Weight=Payload.

Ford, on the other hand, I've had to tackle each year to put together RVTC charts for my website. Ford did make some improvements online starting for the 2017 models. However, their calculations for payload don't add up and their PDF charts are different than what is online at their website. It is my opinion that buying a Ford is a crapshoot when it comes to interpreting their towing guides.

The end-user calculation for payload is GVWR-GVW=Payload

Thanks for the info Chris and Dave. This really helps. I know its kind of tough for the manufacturers to come up with specific information with options effecting the net payload, but you guys have me in the right direction.

Happy Campin' and thanks again,
Joe.:cool:

Thanks for the info Chris.

Do you have any problems with bed height and leveling your trailer?

Does the raised bed rails in the 2017 create any clearance issues with the front of the 5er?

Did you get the 5th wheel prep package?

CoChris

Does the raised bed rails in the 2017 create any clearance issues with the front of the 5er?

I do not have a 5r (yet :rolleyes:) so can not answer about clearance. I am surprised at the amount of rake (tilt from front to back) in the truck when it is unloaded. The rail height is two inches taller in the rear (tailgate) then the front (behind cab) of the bed unloaded. I suspect the rear will "squat" a fiar amount 3~4 inches? when loaded with a 5r.

Yes, I do have the factory 5th wheel prep package. My weights were without a 5th wheel hitch.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders

Just some information. I have a new 2017 F350 also and am towing a Cyclone 4250 with an Anderson Ultimate Hitch. I have had no problems with the extra height of the bed rails. I run the hitch on the lowest of the 3 settings to keep the trailer level and still have plenty of clearance.

CoChris

Just some information. I have a new 2017 F350 also and am towing a Cyclone 4250 with an Anderson Ultimate Hitch. I have had no problems with the extra height of the bed rails. I run the hitch on the lowest of the 3 settings to keep the trailer level and still have plenty of clearance.

Jeff, Thank you for the information. I was wondering about clearance myself. I see from your sig that you have a SRW 2017 F-350 also. Did you try towing (or hooking up) with out the air bags? Do you have any idea how much the truck squats when you hook up? Do you know what your pin weight is? and lastly, how much air pressure are you running in the air bags? Sorry for all the questions. I am trying something very different for me. I am try to learn BEFORE I make the mistake :confused:

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
Jeff, Thank you for the information. I was wondering about clearance myself. I see from your sig that you have a SRW 2017 F-350 also. Did you try towing (or hooking up) with out the air bags? Do you have any idea how much the truck squats when you hook up? Do you know what your pin weight is? and lastly, how much air pressure are you running in the air bags? Sorry for all the questions. I am trying something very different for me. I am try to learn BEFORE I make the mistake :confused:

Yes I did hook up and tow the trailer without the air bags. It sat down until it just touched the overload springs about 4". The pin weight is about 3770. Sorry on the air bag pressure. The system I have is automatic system ( Air Lift ) When I load the trailer it inflates the bags until the truck is back to stock level. Then deflates when I unhook it.There is no gauge. I hope this helps.

CoChris

Yes I did hook up and tow the trailer without the air bags. It sat down until it just touched the overload springs about 4". The pin weight is about 3770. Sorry on the air bag pressure. The system I have is automatic system ( Air Lift ) When I load the trailer it inflates the bags until the truck is back to stock level. Then deflates when I unhook it.There is no gauge. I hope this helps.

Again, thank you so much for the information. Air bags are my back up plan. Sounds like you have a nice system. One more thing to look into :)

EWG

Maximum Payload information is on the door label. The label with the tire on it. Just above the tire pressure numbers is what the truck payload is. It says "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed" (Your truck numbers).

fastcarsspeed

I am new to the forum but wanted to provide a little information. I have a 2011 F350 SRW Lariat Long Bed 6.7. I am not fully deleted which saved some weight but I have been across the scales and I am right around 8100#. I will be pulling a 2014 Cyclone 4100 HD here in a couple days so we shall see how she tows being a SRW. The rv will be empty so I should be fine weight wise. I have been looking at firestone airbags to help it but I have had a 2008 Coachmen Chapparal that was in the 13k range and she sat very evenly since I do not have a leveling kit on her.

Max Payload and Pin Weight is so goofy from the manufacturers.

tmleue

Is your truck a Super duty with the FX4 by chance, Im looking at purchasing the new 2017 F350 Super Duty Diesel with the FX4 package and the new truck sits about 4 inches higher than my current F250. My concern is the clearance of the sidewalls with my 2011 Keystone Cougar which is the smaller 1/2 Ton series trailer going to be a problem. Somebody out there please help.