Refrigerator drip pan

G8orwayne

What can I do to unstop the hose leading from the drip pan to the outside pan? My drip pan constantly fills up lately and I traced it to the tiny hose being stopped up.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Have you determined what it is in the hose that is causing the blockage?

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Some folks have just replaced the hose because they tend to become brittle and crack, potentially leaking water inside the fridge vent.

Heartland replaced mine, but I know others have done it. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

You might try blowing on the tube from the outside to confirm that there's an obstruction.

If it is obstructed, 1/4" poly tubing may be small enough and flexible enough to insert into the tube from outside and push up gently into the refrigerator to clear any obstruction. Be sure to keep the end cap and replace it after you're done. The end cap allows water to drain while restricting warm air from flowing back into the refrigerator.

If your drain hose is brittle, it may break while you're trying to clear it. If so, it's time for a new hose anyway.

G8orwayne

Thanks for for the advice, I found the obstruction and successfully removed it. Drain is working properly now.

thanks again,

Wayne

You might try blowing on the tube from the outside to confirm that there's an obstruction.

If it is obstructed, 1/4" poly tubing may be small enough and flexible enough to insert into the tube from outside and push up gently into the refrigerator to clear any obstruction. Be sure to keep the end cap and replace it after you're done. The end cap allows water to drain while restricting warm air from flowing back into the refrigerator.

If your drain hose is brittle, it may break while you're trying to clear it. If so, it's time for a new hose anyway.

G8orwayne

There was some kind of grease build up in the hose so I poured hot water with a little bleach into the drip pan until I got a trickle outside, I then removed the black nozzle on the end and put some tie wire up the hose from the outside which removed the build up. It immediately started flowing so I poured the hot water bleach combo down one more time and all the residual build up came out.

How did you do it? Please share!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There was some kind of grease build up in the hose so I poured hot water with a little bleach into the drip pan until I got a trickle outside, I then removed the black nozzle on the end and put some tie wire up the hose from the outside which removed the build up. It immediately started flowing so I poured the hot water bleach combo down one more time and all the residual build up came out.

Must be a different hose material. Mine would snap if I just looked at it. Finally pulled it all off when the end of it was in the coils and replaced it with a substantial section of 1/2" hose. Used a copper elbow with a short length of clear Tygon tubing to attach it to the spout on the drip pan. That eliminated a kink in the hose trying to get it down to the lower vent grille. The wife held the pan in place while I reached in from the top vent and slipped in on. Was able to use a cable tie to secure it. I had saved the little end fitting and it fit snuggly in the new hose.