Low clearances. Com

CoveredWagon

Has anyone loaded "Low Clearances POI" onto a garmin Rv 660 LMT? If so did you have any issues. I just purchased the garmin and update the data base and it now tells me the data storage is almost full (not the exact words, but you get the idea). Anyone know what's with that?

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Geodude

I loaded it on my 760 and it worked ok, no warnings, and I used it for a year or so. Then I did an update of low clearances in early February and it bricked my 760 so Garmin set me up with a new unit. I installed low clearances again and it bricked the replacement. Garmin then sent me a 660 and I haven't loaded the low clearances. Neither Garmin nor Low Clearances say the POI file should do that to a unit and had no other explanation as to why I was having trouble. So I just use low clearances on Google Maps as a bit of a reconnaissance tool.

CoveredWagon

I loaded it on my 760 and it worked ok, no warnings, and I used it for a year or so. Then I did an update of low clearances in early February and it bricked my 760 so Garmin set me up with a new unit. I installed low clearances again and it bricked the replacement. Garmin then sent me a 660 and I haven't loaded the low clearances. Neither Garmin nor Low Clearances say the POI file should do that to a unit and had no other explanation as to why I was having trouble. So I just use low clearances on Google Maps as a bit of a reconnaissance tool.

Wow good to know. Thanks. Were you actually able to talk to someone at low clearances ?
Did the garmin ever tell you you had used most of your data storage ?

Dave

Geodude

Yes, I had a good email exchange with Low Clearances, they were quite responsive.

The 760 had no complaints about storage space at all.

danemayer

My 760LMT already deals with low clearance automatically based on the trailer configuration settings. What are you guys getting from the extra POI file that Garmin doesn't already provide?

CoveredWagon

My 760LMT already deals with low clearance automatically based on the trailer configuration settings. What are you guys getting from the extra POI file that Garmin doesn't already provide?

I don't know what it offers more than the garmin data base, but for $15 I was considering it. Are you satisfied with the garmin data base. I haven't been able to use my 660 yet.

CoveredWagon

Yes, I had a good email exchange with Low Clearances, they were quite responsive.

The 760 had no complaints about storage space at all.

Have you considered adding a SIM card for additional storage. Garmin just told me the new maps use much larger files.

"When you do a map update the old maps are removed from the device and the new map is installed. However, the new maps are much larger than the old maps so you will likely see that your internal storage is much closer to being full."

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Well in our first 4 years I've only encountered 1 bridge we couldn't fit under. It was on a US highway in a north Georgia municipality. It was well marked in advance with ample opportunity to turn around. We have the Garmin 760 but I rarely use its routing during a full day's travel. I'd rather travel my own selected route as determined by the Atlas and other predetermined sights and stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

I don't know what it offers more than the garmin data base, but for $15 I was considering it. Are you satisfied with the garmin data base. I haven't been able to use my 660 yet.

I've been using the RV760LMT for a bit over 3 years. Never had a low clearance issue. Early on, in Texas, I saw a sign warning of an upcoming low clearance, but it turned out our routing called for a turn before getting there.

Geodude

The low clearances DB is apparently much more comprehensive. That said I haven't checked, and I wouldn't know how to go about checking, the Garmin vs. LC database to see how they compare, and where. I got a lifetime subscription to low clearances, which I see as another arrow in my proverbial quiver when it comes to towing a 13'5" high rig around the continent.

Alan_B

Has anyone used the Low Clearances POI information with the Google Maps iPhone app?

This is listed as a supported, compatible application on the low clearances . com website.

Spending $15 to add this to the Google Maps app is better than $400 for a Garmin 760.

But this is one area where I don't want to be penny wise but pound foolish.

BusManRG

Has anyone used the Low Clearances POI information with the Google Maps iPhone app?

This is listed as a supported, compatible application on the low clearances . com website.

Spending $15 to add this to the Google Maps app is better than $400 for a Garmin 760.

But this is one area where I don't want to be penny wise but pound foolish.

I'll be anxious to find this out myself. For $15 I might just give it a try!

Sandy

Oregon_Camper

I'll be anxious to find this out myself. For $15 I might just give it a try!

Sandy

I saw on a web site that Low Clearances was discontinued.

I can't confirm this yet. I sent an email to them from their web site, asking for version information and when was the last time it was updated.

Geodude

I have a copy of it that at one time I added to my Garmin 760. I also have it added to Google Maps as a map layer. It's good for visual reconnaissance when doing trip planning however if you use Google Maps in navigation mode there are no alerts for low clearances, so you'd have to rely on your eyeballs.

BTW, the last update to the Low Clearances database was around November 2016.

Geodude

The low clearances database is just a .csv file containing lat, long coordinates and a bridge height. It's the navigation software that needs to interpret the data and then give the appropriate alert. That functionality isn't part of Google Maps or Waze (would love to have it work in Waze!). Lowclearances.com lists which apps will take advantage of their data to give you the alert you're looking for.

CoveredWagon

I have a copy of it that at one time I added to my Garmin 760. I also have it added to Google Maps as a map layer. It's good for visual reconnaissance when doing trip planning however if you use Google Maps in navigation mode there are no alerts for low clearances, so you'd have to rely on your eyeballs.

BTW, the last update to the Low Clearances database was around November 2016.

just received this email from low clearances

"The latest updates are April 24th for USA, and May 4th for Canada.
It is fully compatible with the Garmin RV660LMT."

Ace11

This was probably 10 years ago - headed into Canada Niagara Falls - no warning or noth'n - luckily the bridge was at an angle - the sign says clearance 12'0" - my rig was 12'10" - Royally Screwed

Attachments

• IMG_0842.jpg
    IMG_0842.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 122