High End Toyhauler Idea and observations

Bones

Not sure if you have seen the construction of our Toy Hauler upper deck area's (you can see video on youtube of Toy hauler plant tour) changed construction a few years ago have strengthened the upper deck area on our toy haulers when we went to the 20K GVWR. Triple axles have 2X 8" tubes that are boxed in together (industry standard is a single 8" tube). If you get a chance take a look at the you tube video to see for yourself.

thanks,

AJ

I did and I noticed the upper deck frame bracing and I am happy about that. I like that you have two double rails going down in the nose section to the upright. I will look again for the axle bracing. It also looks like you have solid sheets of steel in the transition section as well holding the upper deck to the frame rails.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
Every brand has there individual choices as to the items they put in there units, but we choose to stay away from the frameless windows because of function. I am not saying that frameless windows are a bad, but we choose function over looks. It made the decision easy when I was camping with a friend who's motorhome has frameless windows. It was clear to me after camping in both units with our families that the framed windows are the clear winner. While driving down the road in the motorhome the frameless windows do not seal as well and would make a whistling sound while driving, you can see for your self while pulling on the edge of a large frameless window that they do not seal as well as the framed windows do (imagine what they do driving down the road at 60+ mph). The airflow was what makes them the clear winner in my opinion, my Cyclone with all of the windows opened up had great cross-flow ventilation and made it a much more enjoyable experience. My friends motorhome with the frameless had very minimal airflow, this led to everyone piling up in the Cyclone because we were boon docking and did not want to run our generators all day with the A/C's on. The other item that draws me to the framed windows is time for repair. If you damage a framed window you can take it to any glass shop and have repaired quickly, where as a bonded window will need to be repaired at the dealership replacing the entire window (could take 4-8 weeks to repair). A nice woman recently asked the same question why we don't use the frameless windows at a recent RV show, and then replied and asked her if she wears her high heels camping. She looked at me crazy and said of coarse not!!! I asked her why and she replied that would not be practical, they are uncomfortable, and not functional for camping. I replied but don't they look a lot better than the shoes you normally take camping? At that moment the light went off. Frameless windows definitely look better, but when it comes to function the framed windows are the way to go in my opinion.
1. 2/3 more air flow
2. 2X the seals for less chance of leaking
3. Cannot be easily pried open
4. Repaired in hours compared to weeks (possibly months)

thanks,

AJ

- - - Updated - - -

Yes we also engineered an aluminum tube that is only used at Heartland that is basically 3 tubes in one that we also stuff wood into that is over the goose neck area. This also made a huge difference in the wall strength structure as well.

thanks,

AJ

gpshemi

While driving down the road in the motorhome the frameless windows do not seal as well and would make a whistling sound while driving AJ

We don't ride in ours...

you can see for your self while pulling on the edge of a large frameless window that they do not seal as well as the framed windows do (imagine what they do driving down the road at 60+ mph). AJ

Unless you changed windows since 2010 versions, mine hardly fit the frames let alone seal well. The screens have huge gaps in them also. So leaving them open just let's bugs work their way in. I don't believe frameless would be any worse. Also, if they're such poor quality, why are they used in Landmarks?

The airflow was what makes them the clear winner in my opinionAJ

I will concede that there appears to be some who would rather have the better airflow. In that case, frameless should be an option then. We primarily run the AC. I'll go outside for airflow.

The other item that draws me to the framed windows is time for repair. If you damage a framed window you can take it to any glass shop and have repaired quickly AJ

I had the opposite experience. When I cracked the glass on my Keystone Laredo, glass shops wouldn't touch it. I ended up buying a replacement window, had a week or so later, and put in myself. Pretty easy really.

Frameless windows definitely look better, but when it comes to function the framed windows are the way to go in my opinion. AJ

Clearly your opinion AJ. We'll have to agree to disagree, because under that premise a regular ol trailer toybox would "function". I want more from my next coach.

Bones

Every brand has there individual choices as to the items they put in there units, but we choose to stay away from the frameless windows because of function. I am not saying that frameless windows are a bad, but we choose function over looks. It made the decision easy when I was camping with a friend who's motorhome has frameless windows. It was clear to me after camping in both units with our families that the framed windows are the clear winner. While driving down the road in the motorhome the frameless windows do not seal as well and would make a whistling sound while driving, you can see for your self while pulling on the edge of a large frameless window that they do not seal as well as the framed windows do (imagine what they do driving down the road at 60+ mph). The airflow was what makes them the clear winner in my opinion, my Cyclone with all of the windows opened up had great cross-flow ventilation and made it a much more enjoyable experience. My friends motorhome with the frameless had very minimal airflow, this led to everyone piling up in the Cyclone because we were boon docking and did not want to run our generators all day with the A/C's on. The other item that draws me to the framed windows is time for repair. If you damage a framed window you can take it to any glass shop and have repaired quickly, where as a bonded window will need to be repaired at the dealership replacing the entire window (could take 4-8 weeks to repair). A nice woman recently asked the same question why we don't use the frameless windows at a recent RV show, and then replied and asked her if she wears her high heels camping. She looked at me crazy and said of coarse not!!! I asked her why and she replied that would not be practical, they are uncomfortable, and not functional for camping. I replied but don't they look a lot better than the shoes you normally take camping? At that moment the light went off. Frameless windows definitely look better, but when it comes to function the framed windows are the way to go in my opinion.
1. 2/3 more air flow
2. 2X the seals for less chance of leaking
3. Cannot be easily pried open
4. Repaired in hours compared to weeks (possibly months)

thanks,

AJ

- - - Updated - - -

Yes we also engineered an aluminum tube that is only used at Heartland that is basically 3 tubes in one that we also stuff wood into that is over the goose neck area. This also made a huge difference in the wall strength structure as well.

thanks,

AJ
Do you mind sharing a picture of the framing members? Does it sit on top of the outer overhang frame or does it sit next to the framing members in the nose section. When you select double pane glass it it the older style window that slides?