So I ordered a Reese - Draw-Tite Goose Box 94623 and Amazon Prime :-(

porthole

Retired
Time for a change and I needed a reason to remove the pin box so I could trim off those pesky 'ears' that hit my truck's roller cover rails.

One thing I found with amazon, and net searching seems to qualify this, is 'dynamic pricing'. Some amazon pricing changes hourly it seems based on the number of hits. When I first looked up the goose box it was $1050, free shipping and no tax coming direct from the vendor.
When I placed the order the next day it was now amazon prime, $1147 and $79 tax, $175 more.

It did not come in 2 days, with the weekend it was 5 days. And when fedex showed up, the box was on one end of the truck and the hitch was sliding around on the other end. I figured with all the good dealings with prime I have had since they started it, no big deal, I'll take the hitch and either get it corrected or discounted.

And since it was essentially an open box there was no installation or user manual and no hardware kit.

Amazon Prime apparently has now outsourced their customer service (based on the names at the bottom of all the email correspondence).

May 04 - Hitch ordered, 2 day delivery
May 09 - Hitch delivered 5 days later, email back and forth, replacement requested, return ticket authorized Noted to CS that the shipping box was beyond being useful, it is damaged.
May 10 - Pickup tag is for UPS, seems odd, I think they have a 150 pound limit. Prior hitch label was 175 pounds.
May 11 - no replacement info yet
May 12 - UPS shows up, and they refuse to pickup, especially since the pick tag has a weight of 8.2 pounds!

Email again, explain once again in detail and request to know where my replacement is.
  • a new return ticket is issued
  • there is no replacement since the amazon prime link is currently off, I have to order from someone else
  • a refund won't be issued until 2 week after the hitch is returned in good shape. How good of shape for a damaged item was not defined.

May 13 - UPS pickup ticket is on the carriers website for 8.2 pounds ..........

Attachments

• Reese hitch_c.jpg
    Reese hitch_c.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 151
  • Reese hitch_a.jpg
    Reese hitch_a.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Reese hitch_b.jpg
    Reese hitch_b.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 150

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Coming up for $1116 + free shipping now. Tempted to pull the trigger. I wonder if ETrailer shipping would be any different.

danemayer

I've also noticed that dynamic pricing on Amazon. A friend and I both ordered the same device within 2 days. I looked a couple of days later and the price had increased from $30 to $36. Checked again a few weeks later and it was back down to $30.

Reminds me of shopping K-Mart in the late 70s. The same item might be in several locations in the store - with different prices.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Duwan sorry to hear about your frustrating troubles. I've had some of the same experiences with ordering the bigger items online. And it's so hard to deal with returning things that aren't right or damaged. For the bigger items I'll usually feel better ordering from a local shop so they have to deal with it.
Might spend a little more but it's worth it in the end. I find it easier later on too because they'll usually back up the warranties too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I often put items in my cart, or "save for later", and the price will go up and down. Often I'll click to view all the offers for a particular item, just to compare. Occasionally, another offer is better than the original one presented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MP_CS

Etrailer shows it just over $1200 with free shipping. Ive had excellent service with etrailer and usually buy from them even if there a tad higher. Just ordered my Jt strongarms from them and a nice adjustable aluminum hitch for my utility trailer, free shipping and awesome customer service.

porthole

Retired
Hah !

etrialer dynamic pricing as well.

1st pic - screenshot from the page I looked at an hour ago

2nd pic - my current cart

3rd pic - current etrialer price after you peeps started looking

- - - Updated - - -

Have you checked with Tweety's. He usually has good prices and will match prices most of the time.

Jim M

They don't carry the 20K version.
Tweety's is who I ordered my Pullrite SUperglide from in 2009

Attachments

• Reese hitch etrailer_10.jpg
    Reese hitch etrailer_10.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Reese hitch etrailer_11.jpg
    Reese hitch etrailer_11.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Reese hitch etrailer_12.jpg
    Reese hitch etrailer_12.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 104

MP_CS

I'll be darned, I've never heard of dynamic pricing. Learn something new everyday. I'd call etrailer and talk to someone, I'd be willing to bet they will work with ya.

bobca1

Coming up for $1116 + free shipping now. Tempted to pull the trigger. I wonder if ETrailer shipping would be any different.
I ordered mine from etrailer and it arrived in good condition on a pallet about one week later (I'm in Los Angeles). Free shipping, by freight company.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Just a general comment...I like etrailer because you can actually have a conversation with a person and have had expected results. I only order online small incidental items from Amazon.

OEFVET

I concur, Amazon is great for small items but I don't like ordering large items from them.

74Beeper

I too bought mine from Amazon and use prime. I was lucky and didn't have the drama you had thought. Paid $1069 and that was it. Showed up in 2 days secured in package. Great hitch. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
834ef27c48d3072708e87bb3dda9ac4e.jpg
9dc436326324f56ae77c67246d1d7576.jpg

The only thing in the oil field that's 100% for sure, is nothing is for sure.......

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I guess I've become an Amazon junkie? 41 orders over the past 6 months.

Everything from cat food, to rv parts, to makeup, to software, to small appliances and electronics... I'd rather buy it online and have it delivered to my door, then drive 1 hour or more to go get it in a variety of stores.

But I agree, bigger items, they don't ship well from Amazon.

Mrsfish

As long as your talking about dynamic pricing- make sure you look up travel and ticket prices from 1 computer and buy from another one. 2 weeks ago I looked up a flight I had been considering and the price had gone up fro 140 to 196. Since I was at work, I went to the same website on my work computer and looked up the flight- you got it...140.

Youknow those cookies we all know about with our computers? Well here ya go

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I guess I've become an Amazon junkie? 41 orders over the past 6 months.

Everything from cat food, to rv parts, to makeup, to software, to small appliances and electronics... I'd rather buy it online and have it delivered to my door, then drive 1 hour or more to go get it in a variety of stores.

But I agree, bigger items, they don't ship well from Amazon.

Slightly off subject but have you tried chewy.com for pet food. A lot cheaper and usually fresher plus you can set up auto shipping if you run out every month on or about the same time.

bobca1

Also with my goose box order from Etrailer I I got the Reese ball kit and safety chains, but the hook on the chains will not attach to the puck hookups in the bed, I have to take the hook off to get the chain through the loop. To use these hookups I would need a much larger hook and then a larger chain too. Anyone else have this style how do you attach the safety chains, or even using safety chains :)
3ea3783d9937a90184aa8149b3b012c0.jpg
22ef5ebad30f89692d131f0f2a47c902.jpg
8b0547a241fd8fc844b8168f3f1ab357.jpg

bobca1

As long as your talking about dynamic pricing- make sure you look up travel and ticket prices from 1 computer and buy from another one. 2 weeks ago I looked up a flight I had been considering and the price had gone up fro 140 to 196. Since I was at work, I went to the same website on my work computer and looked up the flight- you got it...140.

Youknow those cookies we all know about with our computers? Well here ya go
Use chrome and open "incognito window" that will give you fresh session with no cookies.