Disappointed? Yes. Disgusted? Unfortunately yes as well.

I am no longer a North Trail owner. We bought our 23RBS new last year. We had problems including a complete rebuild of the dinette slide, but we enjoyed the trailer immensely. But over the winter the left side wall began delaminating - about a 1 foot by 3 foot section. We took pictures and reported it to the dealer and they in turn to NT. Remember, this trailer I still under its original 1 year warranty. NT said they would not repair it as the delamination was likely due to improper maintenance. They made this decision without even seeing it. The trailer was taken back to the dealer who confirmed there was absolutely no maintenance issue or apparent reason for the wall to fail and reported this to Heartland. Still nothing was done. .... the dealer stepped up and tried their best to make things right. Needless to say, we are now camping in another brand from a different manufacturer. This is all so unfortunate. We liked our NT, but Heartland....well, they should be ashamed. Perhaps this story will assist others considering a Heartland and wondering about the factory warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi TrueNorth26,

Sorry to hear you had this problem.

If as shown in your profile, it was a 2014 model year, the latest it would have been built would have been early 2014 (2014's would have started in early 2013). It you bought it last year (2016), that would mean it sat on the dealer lot for 2-3 years before you bought it.

Most delamination is due to water intrusion - often from problems with the caulking, which has to be checked and maintained a couple of times each year. Unfortunately, dealers rarely, if ever, do any maintenance on trailers sitting on their lot. So it's quite likely that the delamination was due to lack of dealer maintenance of the caulking, rather than from a manufacturing defect. And that's probably why Heartland responded the way they did, and why the dealer determined that they needed to make it right.

On your new trailer, you might want to take a look at how long it sat on the dealer lot, and you should carefully inspect the caulking to prevent a repeat of this situation.

HI Dane, you're right, it was a 14 the dealer had had in stock. But here's the problem: the delamination occurred below a window - a window that was only caulked across the top by the factory - none, absolutely none, on the sides...or bottom. Why? Because they are supposedly bedded t the factory and don't need it. And I did check the caulking on top of the window - it was in great shape. Im no expert, but common sense tells me the window bedding failed -and that goes right back to the factory. And despite the year, the trailer still had full factory warranty. What really perturbed me, is Heartland didnt even tell the dealer to remove he window to see if a leak could be found, and if so, from what/where, before making a decision - it was just deny deny deny and hope they wouldn't have to make an expensive warranty repair.

gvtahoe88

HI Dane, you're right, it was a 14 the dealer had had in stock. But here's the problem: the delamination occurred below a window - a window that was only caulked across the top by the factory - none, absolutely none, on the sides...or bottom. Why? Because they are supposedly bedded t the factory and don't need it. And I did check the caulking on top of the window - it was in great shape. Im no expert, but common sense tells me the window bedding failed -and that goes right back to the factory. And despite the year, the trailer still had full factory warranty. What really perturbed me, is Heartland didnt even tell the dealer to remove he window to see if a leak could be found, and if so, from what/where, before making a decision - it was just deny deny deny and hope they wouldn't have to make an expensive warranty repair.
You are so right Tru. Give them ****!!!

avvidclif

I just have one question.

Did you talk to Heartland direct or let the dealer do all the talking? Many times what the dealer tells you may not match Heartlands reply, and it has been noted on here that Heartland denied a warranty claim per the dealer and when the owner called Heartland direct found out a claim had never been filed.

danemayer

a window that was only caulked across the top by the factory - none, absolutely none, on the sides...or bottom. Why?

Windows are normally caulked along the top and part way down the sides. The bottom is always left uncaulked.

I would agree with others that you should call Heartland to discuss directly, but since you've gotten rid of the trailer, it's too late for that.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Granted I do not know the entire story here but what I do know is, from the information in this post, right or wrong, it sounds like for a couple thousand dollars Heartland created someone who will bash their product. Or the dealer did. Not a wise investment IMO.

kowAlski631

Sounds to us like another case of a trailer sitting on a dealer's lot for years not maintained and when an unlucky person purchased, the dealer shifted blame.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes, dealer sounds suspect, if customer did not talk direct to Heartland. We had delam under a window on our 2010, it was less than 2 years old from manufacture date. I had maintained the caulking and extended down the sides of the window. I dealt direct with Heartland. They asked I take it to an authorized repair facility to have the window removed, and take pics and send to them (on my dime.) Once we were able to do so, and the pics were sent, Heartland decided to offer us a sum to cover repairs. I was always cordial and pleasant in conversations with them, and appreciative of their consideration in the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just have one question.

Did you talk to Heartland direct or let the dealer do all the talking? Many times what the dealer tells you may not match Heartlands reply, and it has been noted on here that Heartland denied a warranty claim per the dealer and when the owner called Heartland direct found out a claim had never been filed.

I did not speak directly with Heartland, but I can assure you, I am completely satisfied that the dealer did - I don't want to go into details and am hoping you can...read between the lines on that. And I just want to reiterate, the caulking on top of the window was good, the sides had none. Doesn't it just make sense that the uncaulked, from the factory, sides or bottom of the window might be a likely point for water intrusion, rather than the caulked top? But we will never know, because it was easier for Heartland to claim it was likely due to improper maintenance.

I will miss this forum. Our blogs are still available in the blog section about our first adventure in the NT, North of Lake Superior. Those first few months with our NT were an awful lot of fun; but the last few...were just awful.

I wish you all happy camping. Thank you for listening.

Bones

I did not speak directly with Heartland, but I can assure you, I am completely satisfied that the dealer did - I don't want to go into details and am hoping you can...read between the lines on that. And I just want to reiterate, the caulking on top of the window was good, the sides had none. Doesn't it just make sense that the uncaulked, from the factory, sides or bottom of the window might be a likely point for water intrusion, rather than the caulked top? But we will never know, because it was easier for Heartland to claim it was likely due to improper maintenance.

I will miss this forum. Our blogs are still available in the blog section about our first adventure in the NT, North of Lake Superior. Those first few months with our NT were an awful lot of fun; but the last few...were just awful.

Good luck In​. The next chapter of your adventures

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

You can still be a member of the forum whether you own a Heartland or not. Hopefully you can still gain useful knowledge, and share useful knowledge.

I am sorry someone could not fix this for you, hopefully the next rig will treat you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLR

Then why are you still here?
If you are so unhappy why not just leave and not cause yourself anymore anguish..

I have found just to let things go.. Blame is in the eye of the beholder..

Life is to short.. enjoy life no matter what it throws at you..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk