Storing patio steps?

Cane.MBA

I know this group will have creative ideas, so I am looking for help. We have '17 4250 and while I love the patio stairs, I hate storing them in the middle of the garage floor. Any ideas for alternate storage solutions? Can they be wall mounted, stored under the camper, bolted to the outside of the ramp door?

Thanks,

Mike

OEFVET

I don't have any creative ideas for you but a comment on the subject. I'm not sure if the steps come standard with the patio kit or if you have a choice between the steps and just the railing like earlier years. In my honest opinion the steps should not be standard with the patio kit. They are too big and as you stated present a problem for storage while transporting. AJ if your listening make the steps an option separate from the patio kit. Or design them so they get attached to the rear door like the railings. So all you do is raise the door and the steps store on the inside door wall. If they are too big for this approach then I recommend redesigning them to work in this manner.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
I know this group will have creative ideas, so I am looking for help. We have '17 4250 and while I love the patio stairs, I hate storing them in the middle of the garage floor. Any ideas for alternate storage solutions? Can they be wall mounted, stored under the camper, bolted to the outside of the ramp door?

Thanks,

Mike

I store mine foe the back patio and the side patio on the top bed in the garage. I drilled 4 new holes for the lock pins a little higher than the factory ones. It works great.

OEFVET

Great idea but What is your height clearance in the garage? I don't think that would allow me to store some of my toys with rollbars underneath the beds.

LBR

The steps are listed as an option and are not forced upon you at purchase if you special order your coach.

At the dealership, I horsed them around a little in the back of a CY and decided that was one option line item we did NOT want come ordering time...heavy, clumsy, no way to properly stow them, and they basically weren't needed in our lifestyle.

Anytime we would need access to the rear patio gate, I would use my 3' step stool from back of the truck I use for hooking up the hitch, etc.

Bones

Great idea but What is your height clearance in the garage? I don't think that would allow me to store some of my toys with rollbars underneath the beds.

Do you guys use the seats in the garage? If not you could remove on seat and install a cabinet on the rails to hold stuff

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders

I don't think it affected the height much. I have a 4 seat razor with a spare tire rack that mounts about 3 inches higher than the roof and I still have about 6 inches below the 2nd bed/seats. I will take a picture tonight and post it.

Cane.MBA

I'll be honest most of the time we have the rear patio setup, so the steps are in use. This trip however, we are in beteween houses. We sold the last house in seven days, and the new one wasn't ready quite yet, so 10 days in the RV is better than a hotel. Needless to say, we have a TON of extra crap with us, all in the garage, and the steps are just always in the way. Then I started thinking, if we get a 4 passenger Razor or Golf Cart, what the heck would I do with the steps.

i think the best option is mounting them outside the ramp, but I don't want to cause any structural issues, with the door, or even the springs. We aren't using the Washer Dryer connections, so I've thought about storing them upright strapped to the front wall. But then I lose depth in the garage.

Right now, I think JLeavitt11 has the best idea, and gets the Gold Star!

Cane.MBA

Any chance Heartland would consider adding a boat style retractable ladder/steps permenantly attached to the ramp door?

PondSkum

I may have to try mounting this to the ramp door, once I am out of warranty...

View attachment 51916

I have been searching for a stair/ladder for my patio also.. And the $500 Morryde setup that doesn't fold/store easily really doesn't appeal much to me. Been looking at cheap step stools and stuff.. Would like to know if anyone has made the boat boarding ladder work...

WillyBill

Since the GlowSteps are lightweight aluminum, why not mount a set of 5, in their storage box, on the ramp door. You could then extend them when you set up camp if you were going to use the patio or leave them stowed if not. I don't remember their weight but it has to be low enough to barely change the amount of effort required to shut the ramp door.

WB

My wife loves the patio stairs as well, but they take up precious garage storage space. Soooo, she is having me design a mount under the rear of the trailer where the spare tire mounts. I am going to use a spare tire reel to pull it tight against the floor. I will try to update some photos when I get it all finished.

pjones1969

Same here, steps are always in the way in the floor of the garage. I’ve done some measuring on our CY3800 and I think I can build a slide in type frame from angle iron that would fit between the fuel tank and the passenger side rear hydraulic jack leg, from what I’ve found it would still be higher than the lowest point of the jack leg, so theoretically wouldn’t be a drag hazard. Might have to remove the handle and make it a quick disconnect sort of thing to gain some room......... I just need the time and ambition to get ur dun.