Dually or SRW??

avvidclif

What none of the charts show is that they are based on a stripped model, not loaded like the Platinum series most seem to like. Best advice is plan on 3600 lbs plus a hitch and anything else you carry in the bed. A lot of people like to add an extra fuel tank which is usually abt 100 lbs PLUS the weight of the fuel at 7.5 lbs/gal. It doesn't take long and the SRW is out of the game.

Go to a dealer and look at the door sticker on the actual truck you want to buy, the charts are a loose guide, the door sticker is real life. Look at the Payload. If not over 4000 lbs you won't be able to carry much over a Kleenex.

Just ask me how I know.......

Alan_B

I agree, the payload specification is the limiting factor on my 2017 F350 SRW.

The door sticker shows payload capacity of 3,440 lbs. I have not taken unit through a Cat scale yet, but I expect that I am a bit over.

All the other parameters are within spec (GCWR, GVWR, front & rear GAWR, tow weight).

CDN

B and B
Hmm I have a 2016 F350 Super Crew SB I have 3540 lbs CCC. Tows my Bighorn fine. We are fully loaded right now for 2 weeks, all food, smoker, lots of cargo, clothes etc. 1/2 drop on rear with stock suspension and shocks. I also have generator in truck bed and 200 lbs firewood.

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
We're all friend's here, nobody take it personally...but really-Diesel & DRW. Period...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CDN

B and B
Yes we are. Also my daily driver and due to a handicap I need either handicap parking or as close as possibly. Parking at DRW at the other end of the lot is not a option.

I do not exceed my Trucks ratings and if when I retire a DRW is an option I certainly will look at it then.

BigGuy82

These DRW/SRW threads always seem to go on forever, and there really is never any new information on the subject - it's all been said before. At the end of the day, you realize one thing. It's all a matter of preference. I happen to think that nothing tows better than a big, honkin' diesel dually with low gears and Air Lifts. You may feel that a gas SRW is just the ticket for you. As long as you are within the specifications of the vehicle, who cares? If it meets YOUR needs, buy it. I'm certainly not going to spend a lot of time trying to sway anyone to my preference. The only advice I can give is to buy a truck that will handle your maximum load. Assume that the trailer will be loaded to the limit and that you'll have the truck fully loaded also. That way, you'll never come up short.

So, to all of my buds on this forum, good luck with whatever rig you choose.:cool:

PS - don't forget you can't drive a dually through a car wash!;)

Last edited:

Lynn1130

These DRW/SRW threads always seem to go on forever, and there really is never any new information on the subject - it's all been said before. At the end of the day, you realize one thing. It's all a matter of preference.

Wait, what? Oh I think several of us have said that about several of these threads. Which truck, which tires, which hitch. Dan did take one of these topics, sorry I have forgotten which, and made it a sticky of sorts. There are graphs and Web Sites that will tell someone with a specific trailer in mind, which truck is necessary for which weight and while preference is a BIG factor in choice, safety plays in it also. So instead of running these threads on and on and on ... a referral to those sites is the way to go, and some do that, like maybe the first page of this thread, I could be wrong, but I think someone did that. (TravelTiger)

I know we all want to help but there is seizure by information overload in most of these.

Hello All!!

I started this post hoping to get some opinions on which would be the better rig to pull a Landmark 365, and by golly did I hear some opinions.

Although I wasn't too keen on a dually, I'm leaning in that direction - the bottom line, if I go that route I can be pretty confident it will haul pretty much anything I choose, and with a full load to boot!!

Now with that said, BigGuy82 made a comment and I'm not sure if it was true or if he was BS'ing. Is it true that you can't take a dually through a car wash - is this correct?

Thanks for all the responses - very helpful info folks!!

Thanks!
Silverado333

BigGuy82

Hello All!!

I started this post hoping to get some opinions on which would be the better rig to pull a Landmark 365, and by golly did I hear some opinions.

Although I wasn't too keen on a dually, I'm leaning in that direction - the bottom line, if I go that route I can be pretty confident it will haul pretty much anything I choose, and with a full load to boot!!

Now with that said, BigGuy82 made a comment and I'm not sure if it was true or if he was BS'ing. Is it true that you can't take a dually through a car wash - is this correct?

Thanks for all the responses - very helpful info folks!!

Thanks!
Silverado333
The fully automatic ones (or as I call them, "the real carwashes") won't take a dually. It's too wide and the rear wheels don't fit on the track. I don't know about the ones you usually see at gas stations - the kind where you drive in and the vertical wand circulates around the vehicle, but those never did too great of a job on my cars, let alone my truck. More like a rinse than a wash.

fastcarsspeed

My 350 SRW barely fits in some car washes and of course will not fit in all of them. I have never seen an automatic car was that would handle a dually.

EWG

Let me sum up my research. I started with the 5er, then the truck. I used Ford because they had the best towing numbers. I wanted to go with a SRW. Fords numbers are confusing because of all of the foot notes and restrictions. Max numbers sell trucks but they are not real life. Those numbers come from a striped truck. So, towing weight. In the 5th wheel configuration both tow the same. 18,000 lbs. Someone said it is because that is the biggest hitch Ford has. Well if that is the case and the truck can tow say 22,000 lbs, you would think Ford would make a 22,000 lb hitch. I think some engineer said 18,000 is the safe towing capacity. So what is the difference? Bed capacity. Or payload if you prefer. The Dually will carry about 2,000 lbs more. So with trailers under 16,000 lbs gross weight, a SRW may fit your needs. At 16 and above a dually is your best option working with 20% of gross as your pin weight. I am not here to step on any toes for those who swear by their SRW. If the numbers have been checked (over a scale) and they fit GREAT! My future is a Dually. My choice, Ford, Chevy, or Dodge? In a couple of years we shall see.

Alan_B

...So with trailers under 16,000 lbs gross weight, a SRW may fit your needs. At 16 and above a dually is your best option working with 20% of gross as your pin weight....

That was generally my conclusion, although I set my threshold at about 15,000 pounds.

EWG

I would agree. It can be done at 16, but 15 and under there is a lot more wiggle room and safety margins.

avvidclif

Also it must be remembered you are talking about trucks made in the last 2-3 years. The payload capacity has increased a lot. The 10 yr old trucks need not apply.

mlpeloquin

I am wondering why with all the dully and tow specifications why know one suggested that they get disk breaks on the heavy fifth wheel. If most of your driving is going to be 100 miles or less from your S&B, then a truck that has the weight rating for the load is fine. But going through heavy winds across country you will be glad you have a dully. You get used to parking it. Yes you walk farther because empty inline spots are usually farther out, but not always. Need extra room for the length. Some parking lots the rears touch each of the lines and others I have as much as four extra inches per side.

You ever think about a converted big rig to pull it? There are companies that sell them for fifth wheel pulling and you do not need to worry about weight.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wait, what? Oh I think several of us have said that about several of these threads. Which truck, which tires, which hitch. Dan did take one of these topics, sorry I have forgotten which, and made it a sticky of sorts. There are graphs and Web Sites that will tell someone with a specific trailer in mind, which truck is necessary for which weight and while preference is a BIG factor in choice, safety plays in it also. So instead of running these threads on and on and on ... a referral to those sites is the way to go, and some do that, like maybe the first page of this thread, I could be wrong, but I think someone did that. (TravelTiger)

I know we all want to help but there is seizure by information overload in most of these.

Thanks, I try to say it every time someone asks for opinions on towing. Opinions on towing aren't worth ****, pardon my French. You have to do the math, and www.fifthwheelst.com makes it easy.

I will continue to say this. Sorry to beat a dead horse! Btw I get no benefits for pushing this website. I just feel it's important to keep fellow Heartlanders safe. Dave Grey, the creator of the website, is also a Heartland Owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk