Dually or SRW??

Bones

Thanks, I try to say it every time someone asks for opinions on towing. Opinions on towing aren't worth ****, pardon my French. You have to do the math, and www.fifthwheelst.com makes it easy.

I will continue to say this. Sorry to beat a dead horse! Btw I get no benefits for pushing this website. I just feel it's important to keep fellow Heartlanders safe. Dave Grey, the creator of the website, is also a Heartland Owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. Go by the numbers first then go from there.

This is for Dave Grey:
I have tried to download the RV Tow Check App on my iPad from your site with no luck.
When I click on the link to download, nothing happens.
I have left it cook for up to 1 1/2 minutes and screen never changes.
I clicked on link from TravelTigers post & nothing.
What am I doing wrong?

Hockster

danemayer

This is for Dave Grey:
I have tried to download the RV Tow Check App on my iPad from your site with no luck.
When I click on the link to download, nothing happens.
I have left it cook for up to 1 1/2 minutes and screen never changes.
I clicked on link from TravelTigers post & nothing.
What am I doing wrong?

Hockster

Hockster,

Not sure what you're clicking on, but all iPad/iPhone apps must be downloaded from the iTunes store. Usually when websites show a link to an iOS app, it opens the iTunes store for you. So open that on your iPad and search for RV Tow Check.

Thanks Dan, this time it worked.
I've played with that for over 1/2 hr and tried different options & nothing worked.
I just did it again and it downloaded with no problem.
Must have been a cloud passing overhead.
Thanks again.

Hockster

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I think the key is to buy a truck for the trailer you want or have . . . or a trailer for the truck you already have!

When we upgraded from a 1500 to a 2500HD, we had no plans to upgrade to a 5th-wheel.

Less than a year later after buying the new truck, due to unfortunate reasons we decided to upgrade our TT and found a 5th-wheel that was well within the towing specs of our new $50,000 truck!

Funny . . . 20 years ago this Saturday we paid $110,000 for our house!

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg

SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg

ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

dave10a

The new SRW trucks have significantly up graded their power train, frames, suspension and brakes to haul much larger loads than previous years. After pulling my rig for over 50k miles, I found my truck does just fine, the problem is the marginal suspension and brakes of the trailer. If one is going to put a lot of miles on their rig it would be advisable to shop for up-grade in trailer suspension/brake. It is interesting that many trailer manufacturers do not offer reasonable upgrades. According to the CAT scales my trailer is comfortably under all of Ford's specs except for combined weight of which I am 200 lbs over. The new F350 SRW specs seem to allow for the Landmark 365. I think the RAM would be ok as well and I am not sure about GM.

Alan_B

According to the CAT scales my trailer is comfortably under all of Ford's specs except for combined weight of which I am 200 lbs over...

That makes sense for all the specs except Payload. Would you mind me asking, what is the Payload spec and actual for your combination?

thanks

D_BTravelers

Agreed on the dually. We had a GMC 1500 that pulled our travel trailer for 3 years with no issues. It was probably the last RV we were going to own and didn't need a bigger TV; now we have the last RV we are going to own...maybe. However, once we decided to get a 5th wheel we went to the RV shows and such and started looking at weight. I decided to buy a truck that would pull just about anything by budget was going to let me buy, so I bought a GMC 3500HD diesel, CC, dually, long bed. Now that we have the Big Country I will never regret the decision. We pulled in 20-30 MPH cross wind about a month ago and it was not a problem, actually hard to tell the wind was blowing. I attribute that to the dual wheels and the extra stability they offer, not to mention it weighs about 8800#. Yes, I park it further from the mall door than my wife's car, but then I parked the 1/2 ton away from the door (dings) also. And I did have to learn that it takes at least two counties to make a U-turn. LOL! It is a beast, but we love it.

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our last three rvs were the last ones we would own

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

D_BTravelers

Tlrv

Our last three rvs were the last ones we would own

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The 2014 SOB travel trailer was the first one we "owned" but we had used our parents RVs many years previously. After enjoying it for about 3 years, we decided to get something bigger (sound familiar everyone?) so we started looking for "THE LAST RV" or hence known at our house as TLRV. LOL! So...this is the TLRV! :D

CDoggy

My wife and I just bought a 2017 F350 DRW to tow our BC 3560SS and it is AMAZING! Incredibly stable, most currently the strongest diesel engine available, we can hardly tell that the trailer is there at all. We are local to Seattle also, and although I was not thrilled with the look and size of this giant truck, it seems like the very best vehicle for our uses. The 2017 Ford Super Duty is all new, and we especially love the multiple cameras that provide a 360 degree view all around the truck.

RonTimmer

This has been a great thread for me, I am new to fifth wheels and the information here has really helped educate me. My wife and I have decided that there really is no way we can tow our new fifth wheel, a Big Country 3850 MB, safely with our current truck, a Ram 2500, and so we have started looking for a new one to upgrade from our 2500 to a 3500 Dually. I will probably stay with a Ram because I really like the Mega Cab but I am absolutely going to miss my Ram Boxes, they were great for a short guy like me.

Thanks again for the education,
Ron