Dumping Black & Grey tanks

Budman

We are new owners of a 2017 North Trail 22RBK, & have to drain the black & grey tanks. We neglected to have our walk through guy go through the motions before we left. Feeling a little stupid, but I'm not seeing any valves to release the tank. Is there a step I'm missing. Thanks for helping complete newbies out!

danemayer

Hi Budman,

Congratulations on the new North Trail and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm sure another North Trail owner will chime in shortly with guidance.

Wellwupdo

I'm new to the group and have just purchased a 2017 NT 22FBS. The valve release handles for gray and black water tanks are right above the sewer pipe on mine. I took a pic to show you but don't know how to post it here.

danemayer

I'm new to the group and have just purchased a 2017 NT 22FBS. The valve release handles for gray and black water tanks are right above the sewer pipe on mine. I took a pic to show you but don't know how to post it here.

Hi Wellwupdo,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and thanks for responding. You'll need to make a few more posts before the software allows you to post pictures.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Figured it out. Both handles fell off already. Oh well. The punch list begins.

Just be sure to keep your valves closed until time to dump. Dump when at least 2/3 full on the black tank and make sure to use plenty of water when flushing the toilet.

jerryjay11

I'm assuming they were the extender handles. The extender handles on out TT were loose when I did another inspection at home. I dabbed a bit of locktite and used a couple wrenches to make sure that wouldn't happen. I posted this once before on the Heartland forum.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
On my previous Heartland Trail Runner one of the sewer handles fell off on it's maiden voyage and I had never touched them...not covered under warranty!

Anyway, your should look like this minus the add-on Valterra extra gate handle, which I advise you to get ($25 at Camping World):

ProwlerDrainCap-P3290012.jpg

Make sure it is this one that twists on like the sewer hose does...the less expensive model is not the one you want!

valterratwistoncover-.jpg

Might save you from the radioactive feet syndrome like I experienced with the Trail Runner!

Mine never comes off and I'll never roll without it!

ram22

On my previous Heartland Trail Runner one of the sewer handles fell off on it's maiden voyage and I had never touched them...not covered under warranty!

Anyway, your should look like this minus the add-on Valterra extra gate handle, which I advise you to get ($25 at Camping World):

View attachment 57775

Make sure it is this one that twists on like the sewer hose does...the less expensive model is not the one you want!

View attachment 57774

Might save you from the radioactive feet syndrome like I experienced with the Trail Runner!

Mine never comes off and I'll never roll without it!

John, what’s the purpose of the extra gate valve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John, what’s the purpose of the extra gate valve?

Well...two things...

First, while coming down the chatter-bump filled mountain dirt road...unbeknownst to me, the black tank dump valve bounced opened just enough to fill that little chamber between the black gate valve and the sewer cap where you attach the dump hose.

I'll leave that to your imagination what that meant to me when I took the end cap off wearing shorts and sandals! :eek:

I bought that Valterra valve the very next day...

Plus, with this valve you can now use your gray water to back flush into the black tank to help loosen anything that may be stuck to the bottom of the tank!

I just did this yesterday and it is unbelievable how much this gets out...even with the built-in tank flush system my Prowler 5'ver has!

ram22

Well...two things...

First, while coming down the chatter-bump filled mountain dirt road...unbeknownst to me, the black tank dump valve bounced opened just enough to fill that little chamber between the black gate valve and the sewer cap where you attach the dump hose.

I'll leave that to your imagination what that meant to me when I took the end cap off wearing shorts and sandals! :eek:

I bought that Valterra valve the very next day...

Plus, with this valve you can now use your gray water to back flush into the black tank to help loosen anything that may be stuck to the bottom of the tank!

I just did this yesterday and it is unbelievable how much this gets out...even with the built-in tank flush system my Prowler 5'ver has!

Got it! Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk